Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I've had mixed luck with Google maps, personally I found them inaccurate in terms of house/building numbers but that might be something localized to Canada. As I mentioned we have Garmin stand alone GPS units which I can update via an app on my MacBook and they are very accurate. In car I would say is always a lot more challenging, the nav system in our Caravan for example which is based on a DVD that you insert and pay big $$ for updates which were written to a new DVD. Cost as much for one update as it did for my Garmin Nuvi which has free lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic. Which is why I never bothered with updates for the built in system and bought Nuvi's for both of our daily drivers.

When we picked up the Ram I asked the dealer about map updates and it felt like they wanted us to do them through their service dept which = $$$. With my Garmin Nuvi's I have lifetime maps and traffic (coded on units as LMT) just hook up to my laptop via a USB cable and run the app. I have not looked into this further I would have hoped that we could have done updates via the USB port in the truck.

The other feature I find very useful with the built in GPS in the Ram is doing a point of interest search, for example if I want to find a specific business such as Denny's or grocery store I can type of say the name and it brings up hits on the screen. The other bonus is that typically I get a phone number as well and if I've paired my phone with the system I can just tap the number on the screen and the system places a handsfree call.

Our Garmin Nuvi's also have this feature though not the Bluetooth tethering so I have to physically input the number on the phone.
This is why I will never pay for an OEM nav system, or at least will never pay the outrageous update fee. They want too much money for updates. I guess there must be enough "suckers" that pay the fee to continue this practice. Too many free options, Garmin lifetime (I have free lifetime updates with my Garmin), Google maps, Apples Maps (or whatever it is called).
Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
This is probably a really dumb question but If you have an iPhone do you have to have an apple compatible auto car play and vice versa if you have an android phone can you connect it to a apple car play system. what will work and what won't work for example will audible work on all platforms?
Would google maps work on all platforms ? or will you have to have platform specific phones to match you apple car play or android car play. I mean my old u-conncet accepts everything I have the ability to connect it to. But it won't accept maps from any source. so what are the limitations of these platforms apple car play and android car play ? how cross compatible are they?

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Looking forward to Apple Play... never have used it, so this will be awesome. However:

That is an awesome feature. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has navigation and I use the NAV instructions in the driver information display all the time!
What program are you in to get the directions on the display next to the tachometer ??

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
With an Android I Blue tooth my music Youtub audio, Navigation works great. Android Auto is a great option the voice command with Android Auto is darn near perfect. Zero complaints. But again I have the Rubicon with the big screen and the Alpine system. no upgrades needed.
Sponsored