Sponsored

Any Audiophiles here?

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m one of those batshit crazy audiophiles that use vacuum tubes and vinyl and silly expensive cables and the like for my home system. But I stopped trying to go crazy in the car as the environment is too noisy. I did upgrade the 3.5” drivers to infinity kappa but otherwise plain stock and flat settings. The Alpine system is plenty fine for my needs.

Here’s a great system I listened to last week:

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Audiophiles here? EF2B1577-68D8-4F73-93EC-C17ACECA1C0D

And here is a cool pix of one of my home preamps to prove my craziness:

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Audiophiles here? 3077AC90-4282-47ED-8353-533E185EFBE5
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’m one of those batshit crazy audiophiles that use vacuum tubes and vinyl and silly expensive cables and the like for my home system. But I stopped trying to go crazy in the car as the environment is too noisy. I did upgrade the 3.5” drivers to infinity kappa but otherwise plain stock and flat settings. The Alpine system is plenty fine for my needs.
Which Kappa's did you use? 32.9CF?

Did you get any imbalance from the increase in impedance in the highs? (I'm assuming the stock speakers are 2 ohm from other posts, still waiting to take delivery of the truck)

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I use a little tube amp at my desk, with an external DAC, feed it from USB via the iPad, some Sein 6xx (for open) and a Byers Studio 80s (closed). The tube stuff is fun, I'll occasionally try something different, picked up an 6SN7 adapter, but haven't scored any tubes that require it yet, I kind of keep them under $25/each.

Years ago I used to be pretty hardcore into audio, Krell, Adcom, B&W, $500 interconnect, etc.

That looks spectacular, what's the gear involved?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just some thoughts while I'm waiting for our 4xe, apparently held up be Gorilla Glass, so I have no actual reference to the system.

From what I've read, the Alpine Amp takes the head unit output, actively xovers and amps to a 2ohm load for 12 channels (2x dash 3.5, 2x knee 4.5, 2x soundbar 3.5, 2x soundbar 4.5, 4x 2ohm VCs on the sub). The 3.5's are described as tweeters in some locations. The amp integrates ANC and chimes.

Initial thought is to try step 1 retaining the stock amp and active xover (if the xover point is high enough for tweeters), and replace speakers with either highly sensitive 4 ohms or as close to 2 ohms as I can find. Thinking 6.5 Components in both locations, leaving out the included xovers until/if amped.

Something like:
Metra 82-3016 - Dash Adapter for Tweeters
Metra JP-1014 - Knee Pods for 6.5 mids
Metra JP-1015 - Sound bar adapter for 6.5 Comps
Budget options: Infinity PR6510CS, 2.7ohm/88db or REFERENCE 6530CX 3.0 ohm/93db
No ideas on a source for a quad 2 ohm sub, but that's probably not worth touching without a separate amp anyways.

Even more budget friendly, I believe the BMW specific component kits have mids that can mount up into the 4.5" spots (4" with 3 way mounts), would eliminate the need for the pods. Noticed this when the Rockford Fosgate kit listed for 9 speaker upgrades on XT include the BMW components.

For Amp upgrades, PAC has an amp bypass kit, but it's ~$400. A 4 channel would be an easy addition with the component xovers to drive the components, and that opens up the sub options.

Biggest question for this speaker package would be the Xover high pass point for the dash/sound bar "tweeters"

Sponsored

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
For an owner to keep the stock system, are there speaker upgrades that would be "plug n play" that would be worth doing?

We have the Alpine system.

Thanks!!

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I'm somewhat of an audiophile, but why bother with all the road/wind noise?

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I'm somewhat of an audiophile, but why bother with all the road/wind noise?
I'm with ya here….. I did a few minor\cost effective things….but to me it’s not worth the bucks to try to get it there. I like being topless and if I want primo audio…I’ll snag my wife’s ride.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I actually went the opposite direction. I thought the bass levels were way too high. I've also not seen a premium audio system with only 3 levels on the EQ. That may no be an issue if it has a proper flat tuning from the factory.

But I'm having a dilemma in that SiriusXM and Andoid Auto are way off. I don't know that my Samsung S21 Ultra+ has a good enough DSP to work with.

However, it must be because I'm getting old, I just like driving in silence. I mostly listen to Howard 100, NPR, and Netflix Is a Joke. Occasionally I'll crank up some Scandinavian Folk Metal or Nine Inch Nails.
My wife hates that I seem to be stuck in the early 90's with my musical tastes. In truth, there's a wide variety that she ignores, but there is a heavy representation of NIN, Rage and Tool when I drive. I think what she really hates is that I will listen to a full album by any of those three straight through and she can't seem to stand to do that with any band these days. Two songs by the same group in a row and she starts scratching at her own skin.

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
My wife hates that I seem to be stuck in the early 90's with my musical tastes. In truth, there's a wide variety that she ignores, but there is a heavy representation of NIN, Rage and Tool when I drive. I think what she really hates is that I will listen to a full album by any of those three straight through and she can't seem to stand to do that with any band these days. Two songs by the same group in a row and she starts scratching at her own skin.
I get stuck with Yach Rock…..kill me now….

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Bold == You are a king among men :rock:

(My wife and I have more or less the same taste)

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Bold == You are a king among men :rock:

(My wife and I have more or less the same taste)
Lucky... ours have some crossover in the middle like a venn diagram, but the older we get the smaller that crossover becomes. Once she even said she hates Tom Petty. I may have mentioned divorce at that point.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Audiophiles here? 34EF32E7-15B2-47C4-A1DD-4D42FF3F95C4

And here is a cool pix of one of my home preamps to prove my craziness:

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Audiophiles here? 34EF32E7-15B2-47C4-A1DD-4D42FF3F95C4
I don't know where that room is (top pic) but I want to be in it! I love listening to old audio, back when they used to record on tape in the studios. When you listen closely you can hear "mistakes." Someone starting a beat too soon, chatter from another room, a person singing slightly off-key. So many hidden gems best discovered with a pair of amazing headphones and laying flat on the ground (try it!), or in a room such as that one. I could live in that room!
Sponsored