Sponsored

Any Audiophiles here?

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
4xe does not leave you with much option but to force the premium sound. Leaves a lot of room for improvements. Research shows the 9 ch Alpine amp does not allow any low pass filter or crossover adjustment options. I would start with the weakest link and replace with Alpine PDX or JL amps - with a dedicated sub channel. Replace the sub with a JL. But I don’t want to start drilling in my new 4xe yet.

Stock AUX playback is better than CarPlay or Bluetooth. With AUX (analogue) playback you can control the gain lowering the iPhone digital volume - not ideal in the audiophile world. Outside that your only adjustment option is the equalizer and fader.

What Is your equalizer and fader setting set to?

AUX: Bass +7 /Mid +5/ Treble 0
CarPlay: Bass +4/Mid -3/Treble -4
Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Although I am very deep into the audiophile world, I just don't even mess with it in vehicles. Between the size, speaker placements, and road noise it's just impossible to get a really high quality sound in my opinion. You can make it sound better, but I've never felt the improvements were really worth the effort.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I would imagine you could run a DSP, like an Audiocontrol DM-810, to clean everything up and send the exact signals down the exact channels that you want. That and time delay/staging, their accubass, etc. would help out alot

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Sound deadening can be a big help as well to reduce road noise, and improve acoustics. My 4xe is stripped in my garage right now, as I line it with Kilmat butyl and Noico foam mats (primarily for reduction of road noise, not improvement to audio).

The 4xe definitely has lower NVH than the regular JL, so you’re starting from a better spot in terms of the listening environment.

Good luck!

EDIT: I also added the Coverking Topliner headliner (and Kilmat underneath that). After 7 months of real world testing, I can say the sound deadening created a much more favorable listening environment for music. Background noise is lower, and both bass and mids are notably improved.

Last edited:

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

I actually went the opposite direction. I thought the bass levels were way too high. I've also not seen a premium audio system with only 3 levels on the EQ. That may no be an issue if it has a proper flat tuning from the factory.

But I'm having a dilemma in that SiriusXM and Andoid Auto are way off. I don't know that my Samsung S21 Ultra+ has a good enough DSP to work with.

However, it must be because I'm getting old, I just like driving in silence. I mostly listen to Howard 100, NPR, and Netflix Is a Joke. Occasionally I'll crank up some Scandinavian Folk Metal or Nine Inch Nails.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
However, it must be because I'm getting old, I just like driving in silence. I mostly listen to Howard 100, NPR, and Netflix Is a Joke. Occasionally I'll crank up some Scandinavian Folk Metal or Nine Inch Nails.
I can't like this part of your post enough :rock:

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
interesting.

For me, the Alpine bass tuning is annoyingly loud. My ear drums started bouncing around with the bass heavy songs. My adjustments were much more linear. Haven’t tried the AUX port yet

CarPlay: Bass -4 /Mid -2 /Treble 0

Even with this, the bass still feels too high on some songs. Overall think it’s a pretty good setup. Maybe my standards are too low.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I can't like this part of your post enough :rock:
LOL, actually all true to whatever I'll have on while driving. I've been into that Scandinavian Folk Metal lately. Had Wardruna on today and it sounded good on the Alpine.

OP
OP

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
@sentience your are absolutely correct in your adjustments for non AUX connection like CarPlay and Bluetooth. I found the bass to be boomy in those cases. Try going the analog route/aux and you might change your setting.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
@FinnCustomKnives thanks for the recommendation. Have you installed the DSP in your JL?
Nope but its not really application specific more universal. Check our Car Audio Fabrication on YouTube, he's done videos on it. Plus he's doing a pretty cool series on his JL right now

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
4xe does not leave you with much option but to force the premium sound. Leaves a lot of room for improvements. Research shows the 9 ch Alpine amp does not allow any low pass filter or crossover adjustment options. I would start with the weakest link and replace with Alpine PDX or JL amps - with a dedicated sub channel. Replace the sub with a JL. But I don’t want to start drilling in my new 4xe yet.

Stock AUX playback is better than CarPlay or Bluetooth. With AUX (analogue) playback you can control the gain lowering the iPhone digital volume - not ideal in the audiophile world. Outside that your only adjustment option is the equalizer and fader.

CarPlay: Bass -4 /Mid -2 /Treble +4