Sponsored

Another Shottenkirk CDJR Dealer WARNING.

Diablo

First Name
David Anderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Turbine Engine Engineer
My wife and I had been thinking of a 3rd car mainly for her and she really wanted a Wrangler (the 6th Jeep we’ve owned) so I started looking around. We got pre-approved from our Credit Union at $55k. I found a Black 2017 JK Rubicon Unlimited with only 2000 miles on it. Yep, a 2017 with 2000 miles for $45,000 in Prosper Texas at a dealer called Shottenkirk Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram or Shottenkirk CDJR.

I looked at the car fax on line and it said it was bought by Shottenkirk CDJR through a Canadian vehicle auction so I called a salesman at the dealer and the salesman I spoke to didn’t know any history about it at all so I stopped by the dealer that day (Friday) to look at it but the Jeep was dirty from all the road construction going on around the dealer plus it rained so I thought I would grab my wife and come look at it the next day (Saturday). Even though it looked good the day before, they cleaned it up for us to look at but we spotted quite a few small dents and scratch so I thought about spending $45,000 on a Jeep with quite a few flaws might not be a wise choice. I made a statement to the sales rep who was helping us “wow, wonder what’s the deal on the low miles” he said “oh, it was a 2rd car and the woman who owned it didn’t drive it that much and it stayed in the garage” (ALERT #1) I said “really, oh ok, the car fax says it came from an auction in Canada and your customer service person said the dealer didn’t know anything about the history of it”. Our salesman instantly started doing the Michael Jackson moon walk and said “he just thought that’s why the miles were so low but now he didn’t know for sure”. I should have stopped and walked away right there. Damn liar.

The wife and I decided to not pursue the JK and they didn’t have any other Rubicon’s on the lot. As we were walking out the salesman said “hey, I just got a 2022 Rubicon Unlimited in this morning and asking price is $52,000”. See, I didn’t want anything less then a Rubicon Unlimited. So I said “ok, let’s look at it” The salesman went and grabbed it from the service center because they were peeling all the shipping protection off of it. After he pulled it around my wife fell in love with it and hell, we can’t say no to our wives but that time I should have.

I said “lets go look at the figures and talk about it”. The salesman would not come off the price because, as he said, of the high demand for Jeeps in this area so I said “ok, I understand”. I asked for the rest room and when I returned the salesman is telling my wife about all this warranty stuff about free windshield and dent repair, I piped in and said we are not interested in any of that, we have free glass and hail repair with our insurance company but I am interested in the Jeep brand extended warranty only. The salesman says “he’s never heard of Jeep offering an OEM backed extended warranty but ask the finance guy when you talk with him”, I thought that was super weird, I thought all OEM’s had extended warranties plans. My wife and I went and got a water while we waited on the finance guy and It was at that time my wife got a call from her work and said they needed her at work ASAP and when they say ASAP it usually means life or death. So now I’m in hurry up mode, let’s go mode. Big mistake.

I was led into the finance guys office and sat down telling him we might need to come back tomorrow because my wife needed to go to work real soon. The finance guy said “no worries, we’ll speed this up” So we agreed that I will pay the asking price and we pressed on. He said “I hear your wanting an extended warranty” I said “ya but I want Jeeps OEM extended warranty” and he said “Jeep doesn’t have an extended warranty but I’ll give you this one” I said wow, that’s weird, I thought all manufactures offered extended warranties” (ALERT #2) he said “not Chrysler, they never have” so he said “how’s this look for a warranty?”, he writes on a blank piece of paper the numbers-80k miles at $890 and draws a little line with an x next to the line. He asks “how’s that, now that’s a good deal, He says it’s with a 3rd party company that we always use and this is their top of the line warranty”. I said “ok, for $890 I can get an 80k mile warranty?” so I said “sure” so I sign his little drawn line. He picks up that piece of paper and puts it on a table in back of him. I ask him why are your monitors all facing away, aren’t we going to go over the numbers of everything?” Then he brings out a small 6 inch iPad and says (it’s all on here and you can sign all the documents that are transferred to the pad as well”. Now I thought, I’m in trouble because the wording was microscopic and I don’t have my reading glasses (ALERT #3). While he’s typing thing up I was telling him how I don’t want the salesman’s glass or dent coverage because my insurance company already cover that. He didn’t say anything and kept on typing. He has me sign a couple documents on his iPad and I try to read them as best I can. He says “your done” so I go grab my wife and she heads to the jeep and I head to my truck and she tells me she is heading to work. Its then the salesman comes out and says “hey, let me show you the Jeep Wave app, I’m supposed to register you in it before you leave the dealership” I said “no problem, I’ll do it later but my wife has to leave for work”. So he tries one time and the damn thing wont work also its Saturday so he can’t call Jeep to fix it so I waisted 45 minutes while he tried to get the app to work.

The next morning, Sunday, I grabbed my reading glasses and went out to my truck and got the Jeep’s sales contract papers and I flipped the f*** out at what I was reading and then what I wasn’t reading (ALERT #4). I first looked at the amount financed and I found the total of $65,380 for a Jeep THAT WAS priced at $52,000, WTF? Where did the extra $13,000 come from? I looked at the other documents that were given to me and no where could I find the sales contract and the breakdown of money. (ALERT #5).In looking through what I had, I did find the 3rd party warranty contract and the finance guy didn’t charge me the $890 as written down on his hand written paper for the 80k mile warranty, he charged me $6600 for the warranty (ALERT #6). Now I am fuming mad at this point, the dude blatantly lied to me. Then I found documents where they charged me for their (dealer) glass and dent coverage at another $1999. Now I start reading the fine print of their glass and dent coverage and it made me want to hit the wall, it stated it only covers small chips in the glass, anything larger they will not cover and it only covers dents on VERTICAL panels, meaning if your hood is hit by hail it is NOT covered. What kind of hokey shit coverage is this? So Monday morning I call the woman who works at the CU we got our pre-approval from and she tells me the horrible truth of why they did what they did. I couldn’t believe how unscrupulous this dealer was the more I listen to her go on and on.

First off, the salesman had no idea of the history of the Jeep and should have just said “I don’t know” instead of concoct some off the wall bull***t lie. Second, the salesman and especially the finance guy knew that Jeep had their own OEM extended warranty plans but per their dealer, not obligated and in fact are told to deny the OEM warranty exists in order to push the high dollar 3rd party warranties for added dealership profit. Third, the salesman purposely turns his monitors to where you can not see what he is inputting into your contract. Forth, He also wrote the extended warranty offer on a scratch pad so he has no record of it and you don’t know the real cost until you read the contract breakdown explanation. Fifth, they charged me the added $1999 glass and dent coverage knowing it never happens or they just deny the claims as a form of price gouging or inflated markup or market adjustment. Sixth, the finance guy purposely left out the contract breakdown documents from my copies so I wouldn’t see the breakdown of the added costs before I left the dealers lot. To top it off, they ended up charging me an insurance for a new key fob if mine ever got lost, what a scam. All in all, I know it’s my screw up and fault for being taken to the cleaners, I am almost 60 years old and have bought a lot of new cars in my life so don’t think you know all the dealers tricks because they come up with new ways to purposely rip you off all the time.

Moral to this story is don’t be in a mad hurry to leave the dealer, bring your reading glasses and NEVER trust the salesman or finance guy no matter how nice and sincere you think they are and never buy a vehicle from Shottenkirk CDJR or (Shottenkirk Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram) If I would have just read the many bad comments on the Better Business Bureau’s web site or this forum about this dealer I would have never looked at the 2017 JK.

On a happy note, I ended up canceling and getting a refund on the $6500 3rd party warranty and Key Fob insurance.

To warn others of how dishonest Shottenkirk CDJR or (Shottenkirk Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram) are and maybe help someone not go through what I did, I posted this letter with a big red warning header all through DFW and Love Field airport common areas, along with Lockheed and the Navy base here in Ft Worth. Hopefully it will help someone chose any dealer but Shottenkirk CDJR or (Shottenkirk Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram).
Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
These guys suck. Great write-up and info and I hope you were able to get all of your money back.

It was the same scam they pulled on my 2 years ago in Granbury. All these extra packages and a $2k glass and dent coverage that the absolutely wouldn’t back out of.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
NEVER be in a hurry to buy a vehicle. Maybe you could of left a deposit and returned after the emergency was over?

In that finance office work at your pace not theirs. If you start to take up a lot of finance guys time and show it will not be a quick transaction you may be better off.

Question EVERY CHARGE! Usually they don’t fight too much on the BS charges like $400 for nitrogen filled tires etc.

The biggest thing I always want to see on the contract is where it says “no pre payment penalty” on the loan. Writing on the contract not their word! For your situation I would refinance at first opportunity. Loan is with a bank and not dealer but I would distance myself from that entire transaction if possible.
Sponsored