First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I can see there are a lot more angry people on here than I thought. I asked a simple question. You saw that I asked the question from the dealer and I got no answers. So I came here. And several people would rather just tell me basically how stupid I am. And no I do not sit down every time I buy something and read the manual cover to cover who the hell does that. No worries see you guys Iā€™ll just start taking my question someplace else.
Don't worry about the assclowns ripping on you. It sounds like most of them know a lot of things that aren't so. You won't damage your drive line that easily.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I put it in 4 hi. Made a u turn on my home street. As I was turning, the front jumped and acted like I was trying to turn a locked front axle.
Jesus Christ, I think you need to learn how your car works and not assume itā€™s mechanically identical to your previous vehicles.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I was just seeing if it popped the same errors again. I had cleared them. They came back but Iā€™m not sure the two issues are related.
while this is my first wrangler. Weā€™ve had 3 Grand Cherokees, a f150, dodge 2500, GMC z71 1500, Ford 67ā€™ bronco. And even SXSā€™s. Never had one that jumped around like this.
but, if everyone says itā€™s normal Iā€™m good. I know Iā€™d never need to dry 4x4.
I only made the one turn in front of the house. Just to try to see the same errors I had gotten while offroading.
Rule 1: Donā€™t try to fool Mother Nature
Rule 2: Donā€™t piss off the Jeep god

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Three things.....
1. If you feel the Jeep.....unnaturally jumping, skipping or hopping around.....you donā€™t have to read an owners manual to know that what your doing is causing operational problems with the Jeep......donā€™t do those things.
2. Itā€™s unlikely that any of the drive train sustained any damage....the tires skipping and hopping will release the energy from the binding......thatā€™s exactly why the Jeep is skipping & binding.
3. Do your Jeep a solid favor.....next time ...take it to the dealership and have them diagnose it......they will smile and take your business and your $. Members here are not angry...or mean....they are simply very frank and honest. Donā€™t take it personally.....take it with a grain of salt, learn from their VAST knowledge base.....and one day you will be giving out advice to some one else.........maybe šŸ˜€

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
So you are saying one turn, at maybe 1 mph. Damaged it? Boy they are princesses.
This isn't just a Wrangler thing or modern tech. It's literally how 4x4 works. You can watch videos on YouTube of dudes in Australia showing how it works on 40 year old Land Cruisers, totally different vehicle but same rules. You DO NOT make sharp turns on pavement while in 4hi or 4lo. Your inner wheels spin at a faster rate than your outer wheels, so when you're in 4x4 and turning your inner wheels are literally turning faster and twisting up to get rid of the energy. This is why you felt that "axle binding" feeling, because you're literally destroying it.

I need to find you a YouTube video that I watched leading up to receiving my Wrangler. It tought me all about the do's and don'ts.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Posting this here because I hope it helps. I know it helped me when I was learning.

Go to time 7:22 in the video for 4x4 turning explanation.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
This isn't just a Wrangler thing or modern tech. It's literally how 4x4 works. You can watch videos on YouTube of dudes in Australia showing how it works on 40 year old Land Cruisers, totally different vehicle but same rules. You DO NOT make sharp turns on pavement while in 4hi or 4lo. Your inner wheels spin at a faster rate than your outer wheels, so when you're in 4x4 and turning your inner wheels are literally turning faster and twisting up to get rid of the energy. This is why you felt that "axle binding" feeling, because you're literally destroying it.

I need to find you a YouTube video that I watched leading up to receiving my Wrangler. It tought me all about the do's and don'ts.
The side to side variation in wheel turn on the same axle is accounted for by the differentials - unless lockers are involved. The ā€œhoppingā€ during a turn on all part-time 4wd Jeeps regardless of lockers is caused by the difference in the turning radius between the front and rear wheels which are forced to turn the same amount by the transfer case. Soft surfaces allow for this difference to be absorbed more easily than hard surfaces.
Sponsored