Alpine Stereo Question

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
This stock Alpine was the best from factory system I've ever listened to until we got our 2019 Lincoln Navigator Revel Ultima. That has a next level punch and would be the only system straight from factory I don't need to tweak.. I've put systems into my other cars that will loosen lug nuts but I too am just looking to get a little more sub to feel the lows a bit more. Wondering if there is a mod someone has done by upgrading the Class D amp and more capable sub while keeping the head unit. My rule has been one 12" sub or two 10" to get proper lows. Not sure what the cu-ft the current box has to match.
If you want more bump, you’ll need more cu’ than the current sub. Upgrading the amp alone wouldn’t do much. I’d like some more bump too, but not at the expense of cargo space.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
If you want more bump, you’ll need more cu’ than the current sub. Upgrading the amp alone wouldn’t do much. I’d like some more bump too, but not at the expense of cargo space.
Same thoughts - no way a JL has enough space to really create large amounts of bass (not that I personally am looking for it these days), at least not without using a lot of the cargo area. A Navigator has some room to spare so not a shock that it has that ability.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
This stock Alpine was the best from factory system I've ever listened to until we got our 2019 Lincoln Navigator Revel Ultima. That has a next level punch and would be the only system straight from factory I don't need to tweak.. I've put systems into my other cars that will loosen lug nuts but I too am just looking to get a little more sub to feel the lows a bit more. Wondering if there is a mod someone has done by upgrading the Class D amp and more capable sub while keeping the head unit. My rule has been one 12" sub or two 10" to get proper lows. Not sure what the cu-ft the current box has to match.
Dual 10s and dual 15s does pretty darn well, but you gotta have a lot of trunk space that you're willing to sacrifice :rock:

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
Check the EQ again. UConnect is notoriously bugged. Yesterday on our road trip I lost all sound to the left half of my JLUR, the volume wouldn’t turn up or down and all my EQ setting zeroed back out. Turned it off and back on and the speakers and volume began working again but I had to reset the EQ settings

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Definitely something is up - the Alpine stereo in a great upgrade and definitely can tell the sub is doing it's job.

Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I ran my EQ dead flat for a while and the rear view mirror shakes bad enough to make things blurry at 20 on the volume settings. Check your fuses first. If that doesn't do it, back to the dealer...

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Uhhh, that too might explain it. I don't know if the Beach Boys will give me that thump :)
I was going to comment that "Relaxing wind chimes" isn't going to give you thump. ;)

Others are right, there are a lot of variables involved. Bass in a stereo is more about air movement than actual sound. You may hear the kick drum, but it's when you FEEL it that you know there is low end in it.

To accomplish that, you need a source that is properly recorded, coming from a good source, and played with enough volume to push the subwoofer cone.

The older songs on my USB don't have the kick of the newer songs, they were recorded in a different era, and don't convert as well to digital format. But my newer music, can really pound the sub.

You do need to get the volume up a bit to get the bass to push enough power to the sub to push that cone and provide that air push that you feel.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I didn’t expect the Alphine system to sound as good as it is, it’s a Jeep. I have had numerous Harley’s with the last three having the Boom Box radio system. It’s a motorcycle so low expectations even though it’s not horrible. The Alphine system sure beats the AM radio on my past CJ’s. Almost forgot to add that due to military, past job and Harley Davidson my hearing isn’t that great. I guess I am not the person to judge my Moab system. Ride like you stole it.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've found the source can make big differences. In my '98 Trans Am with pioneer head unit, CDs sound way better than MP3s or Pandora. Maybe try plugging a cd player into the aux jack to get a true sound. And try listening with the engine off - my Harley and T/A both sound much better with the engine off.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Roll the windows down lol with the windows up I too can hardly hear/feel the bass hit but with them down you can definitely feel it
I liked the floor mounted sub in my 15 JK, that thing hit like crazy and would shake the whole Jeep

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Maybe go to the dealer and check out the other JLs with the alpine stereo, if something is wrong it should be covered by warranty

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I can definitely feel the sub and I don't have the bass turned up at all. It's honestly one of the better sounding oem audio setups I have heard. I listen to a lot of bass heavy dance music, so I would definitely notice a lack of bass. Makes me wonder if your amp isn't turning on or something.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Two things seem to match my experience.
1: The source makes a big difference. While I still got good sound quality from regular FM radio and satellite, I get a ton of bass from music streamed (Pandora) from my phone.
2: The deep bass feel isn't quite that of other systems with bigger volume boxes. My '14 Ram had a box under the seat with a sub (also stock Alpine option), and that would shake the whole truck. I'm talking make you sick from the vibrations kind of sound. While the Alpine in the JL is good, it's not as good as that.

FWIW, I made a easily collapsible security enclosure for my cargo area, and I think you could likely do something similar with audio in mind. It would just take a little R&D to get the dimension right to get the optimum sound, but should be doable. Personally I think the stock configuration sounds good enough, that I'm not going to mess with it, but I'm no audiophile either. I've got noticeable bump even without cranking the volume.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Maybe go to the dealer and check out the other JLs with the alpine stereo, if something is wrong it should be covered by warranty
I think this is the best idea on here. Reset the equalizer settings to a neutral setting, and then play a specific song on your iphone at a specific volume (probably 25+). Then immediately listen to the same song at the same volume in another random JL on the dealer's lot. If it sounds differently, perhaps there is a short in your sub. Which would definitely be covered by the 36-mo warranty, so get it fixed now.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good idea. Same balance, same song, same source, same volume. Only variable then would be the system itself. Then you'll know if yours is performing correctly.
Sponsored