Alpha HD tire mounting kit.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I ordered my tire carrier last week. It comes in on Friday. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were so far and if they had any tips on the install?
Sponsored

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I just installed mine and the only thing I ran into was getting the studs in. I did the jam nut method as it said in the video but when I went to torque to 150 ft/lb it ended up either stripping or stretching the threads on the outer nut. Since I didnt have another nut that size I used my lug nut as the outer and when I torqued to 100 ft/lb it worked. Anything over that it was just trying to turn the outer nut into the inner one more. Since there is locktite on them I feel it will be okay but I will check it again from time to time and when I rotate the tires. I guess my suggestion would be grab 2 grade 8 nuts to use as the jam nuts. Maybe they wouldn't stretch. Not sure if that's the real solution or if I was just doing something wrong. Everything else was easy as can be. Mine was installed with the MOPAR reinforcement bracket. Fits the 35" (and soon to be 37") great.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I just installed mine and the only thing I ran into was getting the studs in. I did the jam nut method as it said in the video but when I went to torque to 150 ft/lb it ended up either stripping or stretching the threads on the outer nut. Since I didnt have another nut that size I used my lug nut as the outer and when I torqued to 100 ft/lb it worked. Anything over that it was just trying to turn the outer nut into the inner one more. Since there is locktite on them I feel it will be okay but I will check it again from time to time and when I rotate the tires. I guess my suggestion would be grab 2 grade 8 nuts to use as the jam nuts. Maybe they wouldn't stretch. Not sure if that's the real solution or if I was just doing something wrong. Everything else was easy as can be. Mine was installed with the MOPAR reinforcement bracket. Fits the 35" (and soon to be 37") great.
Thanks! How long you figure for install time if you had to guess?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My install was about an hour. Pretty simple. @TeraFlex, would be cool if you guys offered a hardware option that would allow for “telescoping” for the camera mount portion only. Seems that there’s a need to extend the camera only. :like:

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Thanks! How long you figure for install time if you had to guess?
I was a touch over an hour. The jam nut situation set me back a little bit. Not bad though. Just came back from a weekend trip (highway, no wheeling) and it held great. No movement at all. Nice to have it tucked back in close to the tailgate.

My install was about an hour. Pretty simple. @TeraFlex, would be cool if you guys offered a hardware option that would allow for “telescoping” for the camera mount portion only. Seems that there’s a need to extend the camera only. :like:
I agree, its not bad since I'm running Mopar "beadlocks" but when I mount the Racelines it would be nice to push the camera out a little further.

Sponsored

BigFatPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
@TeraFlex , is the backup camera housing the same outside diameter as the JL factory one? I am looking to run a set of AEV Salta JK wheels, and they won't fit over the backup camera on the factory spare tire carrier. It is close enough that maybe a slightly smaller od or even the spacing of the wheel on your Alpha carrier may make all the difference in the world. The factory one has a taper at the back and quite a few JK wheels have issues. Some can use a spacer between the wheel and the mount and it fits, so wanted to see if the design with yours would allow the Salta to mount.

I plan to order one either way, but that may be a huge selling point for you if it allows a wider selection of wheels to fit on the spare mount.

I don't want to buy the Salta until Know if I can carry a spare.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
@Cypher Not sure if you have pulled the trigger on this yet. I have the JK Saltas and the Alpha tire carrier. it definitely doesn't fit the camera shaft. Just by a hair too. It feels like a line to line fit. I may turn down the OD a few thousandths and it should fix it.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@Cypher Not sure if you have pulled the trigger on this yet. I have the JK Saltas and the Alpha tire carrier. it definitely doesn't fit the camera shaft. Just by a hair too. It feels like a line to line fit. I may turn down the OD a few thousandths and it should fix it.
@BigFatPanda I have not yet, thanks for the information! does it not fit at all, or does it stop right before it sits flush against the carrier plate?' I ask as some mentioned a spacer on the stock carrier would let it fit, and with the new quadratec spare tire mount brake light (round one) it may space it just enough to work.

I am really trying to find a way to run the Saltas, but it is not looking good with needing a spare. I may just go with the fifteen52 Traverse HD instead as it is made for the JL and is a little similar.

BigFatPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
@Cypher It doesn't fit at all on the Alpha. The shaft doesn't taper like the factory shaft does.

I'm currently running spacers to fit the Saltas on the factory carrier. I'll eventually get the Alpha to work.

I like the Traverse. Definitely top of my list if i was in the market for wheels but i still really like the Saltas and not looking to spend money on wheels since i have a good set.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@Cypher It doesn't fit at all on the Alpha. The shaft doesn't taper like the factory shaft does.

I'm currently running spacers to fit the Saltas on the factory carrier. I'll eventually get the Alpha to work.

I like the Traverse. Definitely top of my list if i was in the market for wheels but i still really like the Saltas and not looking to spend money on wheels since i have a good set.
@BigFatPanda what spacers did you use on the factory carrier? or better question is how thick to make the Saltas fit? think the new quadratec round brake light would do the trick? that would kill two birds with one stone by moving the brake light and allowing the salta to fit the spare carrier. I'm still hoping for a JL Salta (the bronze ones from Sema) but my two backups are JK salta if I can make it work or the fifteen52 Traverse HD. since the Traverse is made for the JL and about the same price it is slightly ahead of the JK Salta I think for me. (I tried Icon Compression, but had two seperate shipments with all wheels damaged from shipping. if they take that much damage from shipping, I will run another wheel)

BigFatPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
@Cypher i turned some from scrap aluminum. I don't recall the size now. been about a year since i made them and i went through a few iterations to get it the way i wanted them.

I don't recall seeing JL Saltas in the AEV booth at SEMA. I recall the stand with a bunch of wheels but i don't recall if they were JL specific. Might be a senior moment.

If the JL Borah is any indication then i won't like the offset of the future AEV wheels. I know i know. Its not the proper scrub radius or geometry and what not but i like the offset of the JK Salta on the JL without having to run spacers.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
@BigFatPanda
Any luck with getting your Salta’s to fit the Carrier? I’m on the same boat, just trying to see how I can make it work.