Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@TeraFlex

Can I order another tire stud and the two jam nuts from you guys? I was trying to install this tonight and cannot get the two nuts to come apart. I think they are torqued before repair.

D675051B-13FA-4EBB-A192-2A6842984FF4.jpeg

image.jpg
Order part 5098 as indicated in the parts list in post 3 above. Studs, nuts, thread locker. I think the kit is about $15 or so. The M14 x 1.5 jam nuts are impossible to find almost anywhere. I ended up at an industrial machine shop where the dickhead owner has a minimum $25 order, no exceptions. I only needed 2 nuts. Still $25. I bought $25 worth. In the end I was in your situation, the jam nuts are not coming off of that stud no matter what so I had the buy new studs.

If anyone needs just the nuts I’ve got plenty. You may likely need new studs too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement parts for Alpha spare tire relocation image
Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Thanks! I’ll look into those parts. Did you find any better success the second go around torquing down? I obviously did something wrong. Just lay off the torque more?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! I’ll look into those parts. Did you find any better success the second go around torquing down? I obviously did something wrong. Just lay off the torque more?
No, I think you did it right. To get enough torque to break that stud free from the carrier you have to really put a lot of force onto the wrench. So much so that you will get the jam nuts stuck beyond ability to get them apart. At least I did. I also used acetone overnight try to weaken the Loctite and the only way I got them out was a lot of heat from a heat gun and a lot of elbow grease. The Loctite is doing its job to keep the studs from loosening over time.

I changed tires and wheels from 35 to 37 and needed to move the studs to higher holes. It was quite a task just getting the original studs out and maybe I could have gotten the jam nuts off but $15 to not waste my time and energy seemed a small price to pay.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Well…. It was bound to happen, the wire connecting my third brake light was snapped when I took my Jeep in for its latest tire rotation. I have been meaning to add a quick disconnect here for awhile but kept putting it off. I know this probably isn’t the right thread to ask this but has anyone done a repair here with a quick disconnect and have a part number handy? I’m not very experienced with wires but I figure there is a certain width disconnect I’d need to buy. Also curious what type of disconnect would work best. Thanks!

edit*** went with these cheap things for now but will look at something more heavy duty down the road

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement parts for Alpha spare tire relocation IMG_0067

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement parts for Alpha spare tire relocation IMG_0071
Sponsored

Last edited: