Air down/up Valves

Mtngreen4wd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR, ‘96 XJ
I’m looking for some good rapid air valves and wondered what the collective experience is. I’m looking for a fast option as airing down for several minutes per tire in freezing temps isn’t fun.

I have my eyes on the monster valves from Power Tanks but these may prove challenging to install in my wheels (space constraints). I know Trail Ready sells a set that appear to use a rubber grommet and backing nut rather than tapped hole. Are there any other options for fast air-down/up out there I’m missing?

what do you do and how long does it take to drop psi from say 30 to 10 per tire?
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I use an ARB deflator. It is about a minute or so a tire. I tried several different things like the deflator caps that you preset and a air hose that hooks to all four tires at the same time and deflates and fills all the tires at the same time. I like the ARB deflator the best. WIsh I would have bought it first and saved myself a bunch of money.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB505-E...6?keywords=arb+deflator&qid=1576498447&sr=8-6

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I think B.A.D. Wheels also makes their own rapid deflator valve just hard to find info on them online. Might be worth a call.

Personal preference but I dont like the Currie style deflator because you are removing the inner check valve. Small probability but you bend it or lose it and its going to be a long day. Also last I checked, they wont fit with Walker Beadlocks (someone will have to confirm this).

I use the Stauns. It takes some time but at least you arent bending down near each tire for that time.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m interested in seeing options as well.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I think B.A.D. Wheels also makes their own rapid deflator valve just hard to find info on them online. Might be worth a call.

Personal preference but I dont like the Currie style deflator because you are removing the inner check valve. Small probability but you bend it or lose it and its going to be a long day. Also last I checked, they wont fit with Walker Beadlocks (someone will have to confirm this).

I use the Stauns. It takes some time but at least you arent bending down near each tire for that time.
I don't know what Currie deflator you have, but mine is just like the ARB version (I actually have both), and the valve stem is captured, so you're not going to lose it.

I also have the Stauns deflators, and they aren't very consistent, especially with varied air density conditions and for whatever reasons randomly stop sooner or later. When using those, I still end up spending time to manually deflate, check, deflate, check, deflate, check...And while I'm dealing with that tire, another deflates to 8 psi, when the deflator was set to deflate to 12 (with an end target of 10 psi). I still use them from time to time (mostly on my Samurai), but they're not an easy plug and play as they're promoted as.

The Currie/ARB deflators are probably the easiest.

The all-four-simultaneous deflate/inflate systems are a PITA in their own ways, too.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am pretty new to this but I purchased these JT Brooks and have found them to be great. Like the Stauns they are slower than others that remove the stems...
Me too.

Me too. I purchased the “pro” models that let you dial-in the pressure. Simple to set-up to desired pressures and you can change them as needed. (Supposedly...... Haven’t tried them yet...... we’ll see).

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I don't know what Currie deflator you have, but mine is just like the ARB version (I actually have both), and the valve stem is captured, so you're not going to lose it.
I have seen the valve stem fall out of a Currie deflator. I didnt say it happens often or that the probability of it happening is high but it does happen.

I also have the Stauns deflators, and they aren't very consistent, especially with varied air density conditions and for whatever reasons randomly stop sooner or later. When using those, I still end up spending time to manually deflate, check, deflate, check, deflate, check...And while I'm dealing with that tire, another deflates to 8 psi, when the deflator was set to deflate to 12 (with an end target of 10 psi). I still use them from time to time (mostly on my Samurai), but they're not an easy plug and play as they're promoted as.
You are right. They arent perfectly consistent but I have beadlocks so as long as I am within a couple PSI of each other Im ok with it. Im not competing so perfectly set tire pressure isnt that important to me.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen the valve stem fall out of a Currie deflator. I didnt say it happens often or that the probability of it happening is high but it does happen.

You are right. They arent perfectly consistent but I have beadlocks so as long as I am within a couple PSI of each other Im ok with it. Im not competing so perfectly set tire pressure isnt that important to me.
I haven't used my Currie yet, so I'll keep an eye on that (it was one of those spend xx and get...).

You don't have friends like I do...though there's no formal competition, everything is a competition. We'd race our kids in shopping carts, if the situation presented itself. Though one of my buddies doesn't have a JL yet, we still compete heavily with our Samurais, and sometimes every PSI down can help - but not too much!

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
You don't have friends like I do...though there's no formal competition, everything is a competition. We'd race our kids in shopping carts, if the situation presented itself. Though one of my buddies doesn't have a JL yet, we still compete heavily with our Samurais, and sometimes every PSI down can help - but not too much!
Nope we have the same friends :) Mine are just more spontaneous I guess. No one is competing until one would inch the shopping cart a little further than the other and then it begins...

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope we have the same friends :) Mine are just more spontaneous I guess. No one is competing until one would inch the shopping cart a little further than the other and then it begins...
Yup, same friends!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

I love the Currie deflator BECAUSE it removes the valve. I don't know how it would be possible to lose it. It's very obvious when you have it reinserted. I can air my 37s down to 10psi in less than 1 minute.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I started with the Staun deflators set to 20psi. After about a year, when I changed the setting to 14psi with the new tires, they became difficult to set. I disassembled one of them and found crud inside the case and on the poppet valve. Once they were all disassembled and cleaned, they went back to being easy to set with consistent results. (see: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-mother-forgot-to-tell-you.40867/#post-903919) If you're seeing inconsistencies due to warm-to-cold weather, you might investigate cleaning them.

The great thing about the individual deflators is that it takes very little time to install them. You then have 3 to 4 minutes to visit or jump in the Jeep to warm up ... the warm up thing hasn't been necessary here in Arizona. Once they reach the desired pressure, another quick trip around the Jeep to remove the deflators and reinstall the valve caps finishes the process. The individual deflators are easy to use and as fast or faster than the "remove the valve core" type deflators. The disadvantage is that you only have one setting. That hasn't been a problem since I deflate to one pressure for all off roading ... that way Jeep handling is consistent when off road.

The Stauns do take some futzing to get them set to +/- a half psi or so. Thus, Santa has promised to bring me some Trailhead deflators (https://www.trailheaddeflators.com/) to try out. Setting them looks to be much easier. Went trail riding with a guy who has used them for years ... he swore by them. We'll see.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I use the Staun deflators. Screw them all on and then head back to the first one. When I start to see a bulge, unscrew it and check the pressure. If it's close to where I want it go unscrew the rest of the Stauns and then fine tune with a gauge. Pretty quick and simple. Airing up is the dumb part. One day I'll break down and buy or build a system to air up all 4 tires at once.
Sponsored