Sponsored

Air Pressure Gauge for Airing Down or Up?

ATO4x4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
18749066-44da-487c-bb1c-6dd44408baa1_1.62ddd6672b892ea8b2dabbbce860684d.jpg

$3.99 and free shipping from Walmart. Works like a champ

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I have the Mopar TPMS valve stems with the brass collar instead of a rubber collar.
Valve Stem.jpg

Bought an ARB core removal type deflator and air leaked out around the collar. Went back and checked other brands in the store ... same design. So, traded in the ARB for Staun deflators. They are an excellent tool. The only negative is that you are restricted to the pressure at which you've preset them. Once you get to your preset pressure, you can use the "twig" on the valve core method to lower the pressure down some more if you need it. Timed my deflation with the Stauns yesterday ... from stopping the Jeep to starting the Jeep it took less than 5 minutes. The ARB takes longer than that!!!

As for using an accurate gauge when reinflating on the trail, that's probably a waste. You have hot/warm tires and you're airing them up with a small compressor that really heats the air as it pumps it ... more so on the last tire than the first. If I air the tires up to between 38 and 39 psi, then the next morning when the tires are cold the pressure is about 36 psi. I still have to do a cold tire balance in the morning to get equal tire pressures ... yes, I'm OCD and have a very accurate gauge in the garage.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have tested many, and surprisingly I find that the TPMS on the dash is pretty accurate to any gauge.
TPMS sensors are calibrated to a tenth of a PSI, far more accurate than anything you can buy off the shelf, unless you're talking about NASCAR gauges.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I bought the ARB ARB508 Orange Large Dial Tire Gauge...but dang its big to carry lol. On the bright side I don't have to wear my reading glasses tp see it.

achaffee86

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I aired up and down multiple times in Moab this week and only used my TPMS readouts. They worked great. A few seconds delay in readings but nothing crazy.

Sponsored

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU MOAB, '13 Nissan 370Z Roadster
I aired up and down multiple times in Moab this week and only used my TPMS readouts. They worked great. A few seconds delay in readings but nothing crazy.
What kind of inflator/pump did you used on the trail? I am looking for a good one.

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
I have the arb deflator from 4wp.com
It worked great, except the pressure reading on the way down was off by 3-4pounds.
I recently bought a powertank and I use the inflator as my deflator, just don't hook up yth air hose and the trigger let's air out at a good clip, plus an accurate air pressure measument.
These things were not cheap, so not a solution for everybody

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I have the arb deflator from 4wp.com
It worked great, except the pressure reading on the way down was off by 3-4pounds.
I recently bought a powertank and I use the inflator as my deflator, just don't hook up yth air hose and the trigger let's air out at a good clip, plus an accurate air pressure measument.
These things were not cheap, so not a solution for everybody

You are going to really enjoy your PowerTank. I purchased a 10lb. PT a few months back. Currently, I am using their speed bag. Hoping that they will have the sport bar attachment available, soon.

I use the Staun tire deflators. They save a lot of time airing down.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
ARB deflator, and Longacre digital inflator. I don't mess with any other brands of inflators anymore. Go look in the pits at car races, that's what you'll see. Durable and always accurate, the only downside is cost.
Sponsored