GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Hey all,

I'm still waiting for my Jeep to arrive (long story, lots of missed delivery dates, now only "TBD", lack of info from Jeep... bitterness), and I was looking around for what other things I might want to have for off roading/rock crawling. An air compressor to re-inflate tires before headed back on the road seemed like something I could look for to waste some time while waiting.

I'm leaning towards a portable system.It might be nice to be able to grab it and go if I need it in another vehicle. There also doesn't seem to be many installed options for the JL yet, so that would be a hard sell for me.

I'd rather buy something quality that won't take an hour or so to air back up, and will last a good while.

Viair seems to be a popular company, and I've heard other people with Jeeps locally own them--but there are so many models from -very- affordable to questionably unaffordable.

Can anyone make a suggestion, even for another make/model?

Being portable, it would be super great if it came with a carrying bag and accessory kit for the basics. I know that when you get "kits" they usually aren't the highest quality parts though, so if you think there's a better option let me know!

Also, my gut is telling me that a 12v system would be best, even though the JLUR has the 110V inverter. It seems logical that having something that can work on 12v would be better than taking 12v, cranking it up to 110v, and be limited by wattage--which may be something a compressor is greedy for. If I'm wrong here, let me know as well!
Sponsored

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey all,

I'm still waiting for my Jeep to arrive (long story, lots of missed delivery dates, now only "TBD", lack of info from Jeep... bitterness), and I was looking around for what other things I might want to have for off roading/rock crawling. An air compressor to re-inflate tires before headed back on the road seemed like something I could look for to waste some time while waiting.

I'm leaning towards a portable system.It might be nice to be able to grab it and go if I need it in another vehicle. There also doesn't seem to be many installed options for the JL yet, so that would be a hard sell for me.

I'd rather buy something quality that won't take an hour or so to air back up, and will last a good while.

Viair seems to be a popular company, and I've heard other people with Jeeps locally own them--but there are so many models from -very- affordable to questionably unaffordable.

Being portable, it would be super great if it came with a carrying bag and accessory kit for the basics. I know that when you get "kits" they usually aren't the highest quality parts though, so if you think there's a better option let me know!

Also, my gut is telling me that a 12v system would be best, even though the JLUR has the 110V inverter. It seems logical that having something that can work on 12v would be better than taking 12v, cranking it up to 110v, and be limited by wattage--which may be something a compressor is greedy for. If I'm wrong here, let me know as well!
I am looking for the same thing.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I previously had an Air Armor 240 probably will go the same route as it is portable. If I remember correctly it took about 4mins to go from flat to 35psi on a 33” tire.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Here's a good video covering a Smittybuilt, single ARB, dual ARB, and CO2 filling 15-32psi:

Sponsored

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Viair 450P. For the price and the functionality, you're not going to beat it with anything out there. You want portable? Check. You want a bag with accessories? Check. As a bonus, it has an automatic shutoff and start once you turn the switch on, so it won't overheat. Again, I don't see anything out there that beats it. I bought it in Dec. just after I ordered the JL and tested it on my 33" K02's on the F-150. From 20 psi to 60 psi was right at 5 min.

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9EGFS

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My vote is for the Viair 300P cause I just bought it. I haven't actually tried it but the build quality seems very good. I almost went with the 450P but blinked at the price.

I've burned out maybe 3 of the cheaper air compressors that were 12Volt plug type so decided to spend a bit more this time. My last one burnt out trying to fix a flat on my Nissan Leaf when using Slime tire sealant.

Keep in mind when you are shopping that the 110V doesn't have enough power to run a compressor and the 12 Volt plugs on the jeep are only rated for 13 amps. Basically you have 160 Watts of onboard power. It doesn't matter if its 12V or 110V.

Pretty much anything robust enough and big enough to pump up truck tires is going to draw more than that and needs to connect to the battery.

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Have you considered looking at CO2 systems?

OP
OP
GMCarGuy

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered looking at CO2 systems?
Actually, yes. A local friend of mine told me to check that out as an option, as it's what he uses. The choice was easier when it was "Which compressor" and now it's "Compressor or CO2" first. Hah!

I appreciate all the recommendations so far though. Thanks much.

Sponsored

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
ViaAir are great, both the 300 and the 450 work really well.
I went with a Smittybilt on my older build and it has been rock solid through mud, rain, dust and sand as well, it has switch and bag, too and a few accessories.

So I guess is a matter of preference at that point, I am still deciding what to put into the new JL....

G.

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey all,

I'm coming up on my second delivery that looks like its not going to happen. So I've also been looking to upgrade my air compressor. I've read about several people using an ARB brand for onboard air systems. I'm more interested in a portable system. Check out this portable model, anyone with any thoughts on it? https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-P...6&sr=1-3&keywords=arb+portable+compressor+kit

OP
OP
GMCarGuy

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want one that will power a Train Horn!
I thought about this but I don't see enough room under the hood for it. =( I have a friend who installed one into his Smartcar.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
50611D66-0592-4A12-8DBF-AD785C0D4383.jpeg I use and like the ARB CKMP12 (12 volt). I like that it’s portable so I can throw in another rig, how the storage case has got just enough room in it for a basic tire puncture repair kit and still enough space for my portable jump start battery.

POST Update: I have recently pulled this ARB portable unit out of its box and mounted it under the hood and wired it to an AUX button. Im Happy with this new location...

IMG_8613.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: