Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Aux 3 and 4 are 15amp circuits if I’m not mistaken and Aux 1 and 2 are 40amps. If you are running the single ARB rated at 7.5amp under load, you should be fine. See the attached chart. Even if running at much higher psi, you should not fry your fuse.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51u7SodhO1L.pdf

The twin is 25amp under load. I went with the twin and hardwired it using the
Epic Kraken under seat mount but I think I could have used Aux 1 or 2. I just didn’t want to use up a switch for other uses such as lighting, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm actually not surprised that it works. I'm sure Jeep over-engineered and under-rated those circuits to protect themselves from a lawsuit from people like your friend. ;)

If you don't use the compressor for extended runs, it might be just fine. But if you're running it for 30 minutes or more, I'd be a bit concerned. Electrical stuff is not to be taken lightly though... like you said: it hasn't caught fire (yet). But that's a lot different than a warning light. At that point, it's a bit too late.

My $0.02.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aux 3 and 4 are 15amp circuits if I’m not mistaken and Aux 1 and 2 are 40amps. If you are running the single ARB rated at 7.5amp under load, you should be fine. See the attached chart. Even if running at much higher psi, you should fry your fuse.

Epic Kraken under seat mount but I think I could have used Aux 1 or 2. I just didn’t want to use up a switch for other uses such as lighting, etc.
That's a great point. It really depends on which compressor you're using. Their compact compressors don't pull as much as their HO versions.

If you're using a HO version, I would give serious thought to connecting it to Aux 1 or 2, or keep the control wire connected to Aux 3/4, and running feed wires from your battery for the compressor(s).

It's too late to buy flood insurance when your house is under water.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Aux 3 and 4 are 15amp circuits if I’m not mistaken and Aux 1 and 2 are 40amps. If you are running the single ARB rated at 7.5amp under load, you should be fine. See the attached chart. Even if running at much higher psi, you should not fry your fuse.

I believe for 12v under load , the single pulls up to 25.2 amps and the double pulls up to 50.4 amps.

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
Planning to wire a singe ARB mounted under the passenger seat to Aux 1. I have no purple wire in the harness from ARB. There is a thin black wire routed with the 10ga black wire.

1- Is the thin black wire that I see actually the purple wire you are all talking about? If so, where do I connect that?

2-Do I need to use the ARB included relay and pressure switch? I know the Aux switches are on a fuse and relay but I thought I would need the relay for the pressure switch.

Thanks!

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning to wire a singe ARB mounted under the passenger seat to Aux 1. I have no purple wire in the harness from ARB. There is a thin black wire routed with the 10ga black wire.

1- Is the thin black wire that I see actually the purple wire you are all talking about? If so, where do I connect that?

2-Do I need to use the ARB included relay and pressure switch? I know the Aux switches are on a fuse and relay but I thought I would need the relay for the pressure switch.

Thanks!
1- Nope. The thin and thick black wires are both ground. Connect them to the nearest ground stud. Or you can connect them to the negative battery terminal if you wish, but I don't recommend it.

Look for the colored wires on the compressor assembly. There will be one big and one little. Colors may vary, but usually big is red and little is purple. The little colored wire needs to be connected to Aux 1. The big colored wire either connects to Aux 1, or to your battery with a fuse. Lots of info further up in this thread about the pros and cons of connecting the big wire directly to an Aux switch.

2- The relay and pressure switches are built in to the compressor assembly itself. They're not part of the ARB switches and wiring harness assembly.

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
1- Nope. The thin and thick black wires are both ground. Connect them to the nearest ground stud. Or you can connect them to the negative battery terminal if you wish, but I don't recommend it.

Look for the colored wires on the compressor assembly. There will be one big and one little. Colors may vary, but usually big is red and little is purple. The little colored wire needs to be connected to Aux 1. The big colored wire either connects to Aux 1, or to your battery with a fuse. Lots of info further up in this thread about the pros and cons of connecting the big wire directly to an Aux switch.

2- The relay and pressure switches are built in to the compressor assembly itself. They're not part of the ARB switches and wiring harness assembly.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will be using Aux 1 with my single ARB, if I experience any sort of electrical issues I will re-attack at that time. If I was mounting in the engine compartment I would go direct to battery.

My ARB wiring harness does have a relay and pressure switch but I did notice the box said "Air Locker Supply Rated Pressure Switch". Of course I am not using this compressor for air lockers. So I dont need the relay and pressure switch in my harness? I'm fine with cutting the harness apart and using only what I need, just dont want to overpressure the system.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB Compressors and AUX Switches IMG_8645.JPG

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. I will be using Aux 1 with my single ARB, if I experience any sort of electrical issues I will re-attack at that time. If I was mounting in the engine compartment I would go direct to battery.

My ARB wiring harness does have a relay and pressure switch but I did notice the box said "Air Locker Supply Rated Pressure Switch". Of course I am not using this compressor for air lockers. So I dont need the relay and pressure switch in my harness? I'm fine with cutting the harness apart and using only what I need, just dont want to overpressure the system.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB Compressors and AUX Switches IMG_8645.JPG
Ah, gotcha. If it's for the lockers, then you won't need that relay or pressure switch.

Before you get everything permanently installed and wired up, you can always test the compressors beforehand with your battery. Make sure everything works the way you expect before going the more intricate installation. Might save a lot of headache.

When in doubt, test first.
Sponsored