AFE Exhaust

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
3 week review on the AFE exhaust. I have the Hi-tuck 2.5" exhaust.

It's got some drone at 2k RPM that drops off at 3k. With the tops on and windows up it's a little louder than I'd like, but far from Honda Civic status.

Open the windows and the drone drops off noticably. It's at the perfect level. I think the top is causing the sound to echo inside with it all closed up.

I had this same exhaust on my JK and loved it. The only difference I can think of that might be causing the increased drone is my JK had that heavy duty rubber mat in the back that may have reduced the sound coming in from the back area of the Jeep. I'm headed to the dealer now to try to buy some sort of Mopar rear mat to see if it helps. Hopefully one is available.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That sound with the AFE exhaust reminds me a lot of a Nissan 370Z. Has the exact same tone.

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
I still love mine!
I did add a short 3" resonator to mine a week or two ago. I loved the sound in all situations except with the doors off(loud drone at low RPM's)
It did quiet it down a little under normal top/window down driving with the resonator, but I have yet to go doorless since I added it. The next time we have a week without rain I will try it out.
AFE Exhaust Mod.jpg
What resonator did you buy? Is 3" the diameter of the piping? I really think this is my next thing on the JL but I actually prefer it to be as quiet as possible, just want to remove the can in the rear as it's now just a boulder catcher. TIA!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
What resonator did you buy? Is 3" the diameter of the piping? I really think this is my next thing on the JL but I actually prefer it to be as quiet as possible, just want to remove the can in the rear as it's now just a boulder catcher. TIA!
Here is the resonator I purchased for my 3" AFE RB exhaust
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072C6FD5H/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I wanted something inexpensive/stainless to see how it would fit. It fits great, could actually be 1-2" bigger in diameter, and 1-2" longer without interfering with the body.

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR

Sponsored

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Well, I got this and had it installed Friday (four days ago as of this posting). I really like it. Wife.....no so much. I have hearing loss (one of several parting "gifts" from my military service :cwl:), so I'm guessing I'm not hearing what she does.

So, this one's coming out. Now I need to find a Plan B (the OEM exhaust system was recycled by my installer - my fault for not wanting to keep it in my too-crowded garage).

Looks like I need to find an axle-back system that won't crater my wallet.

Also...I will be putting my aFe RB up for sale soon :)

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
Well, I got this and had it installed Friday (four days ago as of this posting). I really like it. Wife.....no so much. I have hearing loss (one of several parting "gifts" from my military service :cwl:), so I'm guessing I'm not hearing what she does.

So, this one's coming out. Now I need to find a Plan B (the OEM exhaust system was recycled by my installer - my fault for not wanting to keep it in my too-crowded garage).

I'll take it. Let me know when you yank it out and I'll send you a shipping label :)

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you for your service!

I must have hearing issues as well, bc I loved mine under all situations except with the doors off.
I just asked my wife and she said she doesn't think it's too loud either... I added a resonator to quiet it down with the doors off, and was concerned it would make it too quiet but it didn't change it all that much. I'm not sure if having a softop/6spd has anything to do with overall sound/resonance inside the Jeep but I love it. Any quieter and I would never notice it with the music playing :rock:

Never3nuff

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR , '18 Jaguar F-Pace S
Occupation
retired
I have the AFE hi tuck cat back. It sounds pretty good but a little too loud for me. I bought the Magnaflow axle back last night from Summit. I'm going to install it this morning. So glad I didnt throw away my stock exhaust. If anyone is interested in my AFE cat back and live in North TX, let me know.

PSe0eWB2TSCbHkZFvThnEA.jpg

Sponsored

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I have the AFE hi tuck cat back. It sounds pretty good but a little too loud for me. I bought the Magnaflow axle back last night from Summit. I'm going to install it this morning. So glad I didnt throw away my stock exhaust. If anyone is interested in my AFE cat back and live in North TX, let me know.
HUGE thanks for the easy transaction AND for driving a little south to meet me!

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Did the resonator fix the door off drone?
Unfortunately not completely. It did quiet it down a bit, but with the doors off I still hear a drone. I've considered getting a larger muffler, but until the temperatures drop a bit it isn't my biggest priority.

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
Anyone running the MACH Force-Xp Hi-Tuck 3" 409 Stainless Steel Axle-Back Exhaust System (49-48080)? Sound clips sound pretty quiet and close to stock. Any issues running a 3" pipe? I remember folks saying a 3" pipe was not necessary for a JK, not sure if there are any concerns with the JL?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...-409-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system

I had the dynomax muffler elimination pipe, but it was too loud for my preference. I ran an AFE hi tuck 2.5 axle back on my JKU and was pretty happy with it.
Sponsored