AFE Exhaust

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
Ok, I've lived with this exhaust for two weeks now. With the top up/down & the doors on I don't notice any drone on the street or highway(65mph is the max I've done.) I do have a softop, and I hear more wind noise than exhaust at those speeds without the radio.
Now the weird part. I pulled the doors off a few days ago and I notice a fairly loud drone anytime the RPM's are between 1000-1500 RPM's. I ordered a small resonator that should fit after the exhaust to see if it helps calm down that drone with the doors off. I hate to quiet it too much since I love the sound with the doors on.
I just find it odd that prior to me taking off the doors I was driving around with the windows down/top down and didn't notice any drone....

Definitely strange. Thanks for the update! Let us know how the resonator works out.
Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I've lived with this exhaust for two weeks now. With the top up/down & the doors on I don't notice any drone on the street or highway(65mph is the max I've done.) I do have a softop, and I hear more wind noise than exhaust at those speeds without the radio.
Now the weird part. I pulled the doors off a few days ago and I notice a fairly loud drone anytime the RPM's are between 1000-1500 RPM's. I ordered a small resonator that should fit after the exhaust to see if it helps calm down that drone with the doors off. I hate to quiet it too much since I love the sound with the doors on.
I just find it odd that prior to me taking off the doors I was driving around with the windows down/top down and didn't notice any drone....

Thanks for the update! I'm guessing the drone will be worse with the auto because you can't shift around it, unless you're manually shifting the auto. I haven't got mine yet, anyone want to chime in with the rpms on an auto in 8th at 70 or so? Let us know how the resonator works Chris.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update! I'm guessing the drone will be worse with the auto because you can't shift around it, unless you're manually shifting the auto. I haven't got mine yet, anyone want to chime in with the rpms on an auto in 8th at 70 or so? Let us know how the resonator works Chris.
What weird is never noticed this drone with the doors on. I did find myself shifting around it with the doors off, but never needed to with them on. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days so my doors will be going back on. I will test it cruising at those RPMs now that I know where to expect it.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, only had my phone and my regular cell phone mount to take this video. I'm not even sure how the audio will sound on anything other than my phone speakers.
Video is with the windows and top up, all electronics and A/C off.. Accelerating in first and second gear, then coasting between 1000-1500 RPM's. No unbearable amount of drone with the doors on. I can't even hear the exhaust coasting if my radio is turned up above level 5, or the A/C fan speed is somewhere in the middle. I tried to keep it in the RPM's where I normally hear the drone with the doors off.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, only had my phone and my regular cell phone mount to take this video. I'm not even sure how the audio will sound on anything other than my phone speakers.
Video is with the windows and top up, all electronics and A/C off.. Accelerating in first and second gear, then coasting between 1000-1500 RPM's. No unbearable amount of drone with the doors on. I can't even hear the exhaust coasting if my radio is turned up above level 5, or the A/C fan speed is somewhere in the middle. I tried to keep it in the RPM's where I normally hear the drone with the doors off.
That sounds really good. Do you notice the drone at all with the top down but the doors still on?

Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, that's the thing that really throws me off. Windows down, top down no drone... :swear:
Ugh. Maybe contact AFE Power and see what they say about it.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. Maybe contact AFE Power and see what they say about it.
I probably will. I ordered that inexpensive resonator to see how it sounds.
I wonder if it has anything to do do with the active noise cancellation in the JL?

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, this sounds really good. Maybe I walked in here with low expectations but this sounds like my old Infiniti FX35 which had an exhaust note everyone loved.

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
Wow, this sounds really good. Maybe I walked in here with low expectations but this sounds like my old Infiniti FX35 which had an exhaust note everyone loved.
Not to sound dumb but what’s a drone?

Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to sound dumb but what’s a drone?
Hard to explain but if you've ever been on a prop plane when it reaches a certain speed and the sound of the motor or props or whatever is a loud monotonous humming that is really irritating to your ears. There's a lot of places online that explain it better. I found this one...

Exhaust drone & exhaust noise while both are different by definition, both are created as a result of impactors/promoters. Exhaust drone is that which is caused by harmonics- a soundwave generated which in essence takes the exhaust sound and sends it back up the exhaust system (towards the engine) and is released or transferred into the passenger compartment.

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
Hard to explain but if you've ever been on a prop plane when it reaches a certain speed and the sound of the motor or props or whatever is a loud monotonous humming that is really irritating to your ears. There's a lot of places online that explain it better. I found this one...

Exhaust drone & exhaust noise while both are different by definition, both are created as a result of impactors/promoters. Exhaust drone is that which is caused by harmonics- a soundwave generated which in essence takes the exhaust sound and sends it back up the exhaust system (towards the engine) and is released or transferred into the passenger compartment.
Great explanation I got it now...thank you

DirtyPedro

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F150 4x4
Occupation
US Navy Chief
Thanks for the photo and video. This is the same exhaust I plan on purchasing once we pick up our Jeep. I love the hidden tucked away look and the fact that it gives it a little louder rumble.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I still love mine!
I did add a short 3" resonator to mine a week or two ago. I loved the sound in all situations except with the doors off(loud drone at low RPM's)
It did quiet it down a little under normal top/window down driving with the resonator, but I have yet to go doorless since I added it. The next time we have a week without rain I will try it out.
AFE Exhaust Mod.jpg

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
Grab a recording of stock sound so we can A/B the two setups. I’ve never heard a V6 that sounded good with an aftermarket setup (all sound like ricers to me), but I’d love to be proven wrong.
+1
Sponsored