Business Development

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I was actually looking at the aFe rock basher for the JL. Not a bad price either. I have never used an aFe product, so I have no idea how loud in real life. Anyone with experience?

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
I was actually looking at the aFe rock basher for the JL. Not a bad price either. I have never used an aFe product, so I have no idea how loud in real life. Anyone with experience?

I love that this setup has a little more noise but not too loud, and maybe there won't be a drone with it. One question since I've never put an aftermarket exhaust on a jeep....The tailpipe exits before the rear axle for clearance purposes. Is there a possibility that any of the exhaust gases will make it into the rear cabin area, especially when the vehicle is idling? I have to remote start my vehicles in the winter because of sub freezing temperatures. I'm a little concerned with this exhaust idling for 20 minutes or more and the exit being before the axle. Anyone with experience with pre axle exhausts want to chime in?

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I love that this setup has a little more noise but not too loud, and maybe there won't be a drone with it. One question since I've never put an aftermarket exhaust on a jeep....The tailpipe exits before the rear axle for clearance purposes. Is there a possibility that any of the exhaust gases will make it into the rear cabin area, especially when the vehicle is idling? I have to remote start my vehicles in the winter because of sub freezing temperatures. I'm a little concerned with this exhaust idling for 20 minutes or more and the exit being before the axle. Anyone with experience with pre axle exhausts want to chime in?
That’s a good question..CO has about the same density as air and diffuses pretty quick. Being that it’s angled down it’s probably fine but. You could always run a CO detector just to be sure...

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a good question..CO has about the same density as air and diffuses pretty quick. Being that it’s angled down it’s probably fine but. You could always run a CO detector just to be sure...
Thanks for the response. I will probably just wait for something else. I''m not gonna do any serious rock crawling, so a rear exit one is fine. Everything else I've heard so far has been pretty loud, this sounded pretty good to me.

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response. I will probably just wait for something else. I''m not gonna do any serious rock crawling, so a rear exit one is fine. Everything else I've heard so far has been pretty loud, this sounded pretty good to me.
I am purchasing this exhaust today and hope to have it installed by Friday. I will post a review and sound clip once installed. I hate the huge rear stock muffler rearing it's ugly head, and more importantly hate the stock sound. I just put a lift and 35's on my rig, and want an exhaust to match it's character :like:

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am purchasing this exhaust today and hope to have it installed by Friday. I will post a review and sound clip once installed. I hate the huge rear stock muffler rearing it's ugly head, and more importantly hate the stock sound. I just put a lift and 35's on my rig, and want an exhaust to match it's character :like:

While you do the sound clip could you do me a favor and grab a neighbor or an ex gf you don't like and have them sit in back while you run it for an hour or so to check for carbon monoxide? Appreciate it! Jk. I'm sure I'm probably overthinking it, they've been making these for years for the JKU. Looking forward to the sound clip.

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you do the sound clip could you do me a favor and grab a neighbor or an ex gf you don't like and have them sit in back while you run it for an hour or so to check for carbon monoxide? Appreciate it! Jk. I'm sure I'm probably overthinking it, they've been making these for years for the JKU. Looking forward to the sound clip.
Oh, no worries, I have a few candidates in mind ;)

I have done a lot of research, and I wasn't aware the short pipe was so popular but yes, many Jeep owners are running this exhaust with no ill effects. It makes sense as the tip is bent downward and reaches back to almost the rear wheel, so I can't imagine how this would be an issue and love that it doesn't go all the way back. Sound clip to come asap!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Grab a recording of stock sound so we can A/B the two setups. I’ve never heard a V6 that sounded good with an aftermarket setup (all sound like ricers to me), but I’d love to be proven wrong.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've had AFE 2.5" exhausts in the past, and they were always very nice quality with great sound(No drone.) I'm thinking of trying the 3" Rock Basher exhaust on my JL, and while I don't mind a louder exhaust I don't want drone on the highway.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
AFE RB 3" Exhaust installed today. Working on a video to hear before and after, unfortunately I only had my phone to take the video.
Surprisingly quiet at idle, and nice to hear the RPM's as I'm going through the gears(I have a 6spd and the factory exhaust system was too quiet with any kind of audio playing.)
I have yet to take it on the freeway, but should be able to report back on that tomorrow morning.
AFE RB.jpg

Video, again sorry for the crappy quality

Last edited:

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFE RB 3" Exhaust installed today. Working on a video to hear before and after, unfortunately I only had my phone to take the video.
Surprisingly quiet at idle, and nice to hear the RPM's as I'm going through the gears(I have a 6spd and the factory exhaust system was too quiet with any kind of audio playing.)
I have yet to take it on the freeway, but should be able to report back on that tomorrow morning.
AFE RB.jpg

Video, again sorry for the crappy quality
Doesn't sound overly loud, nice tone. Let us know on any drone you notice.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't sound overly loud, nice tone. Let us know on any drone you notice.
Ok, I've lived with this exhaust for two weeks now. With the top up/down & the doors on I don't notice any drone on the street or highway(65mph is the max I've done.) I do have a softop, and I hear more wind noise than exhaust at those speeds without the radio.
Now the weird part. I pulled the doors off a few days ago and I notice a fairly loud drone anytime the RPM's are between 1000-1500 RPM's. I ordered a small resonator that should fit after the exhaust to see if it helps calm down that drone with the doors off. I hate to quiet it too much since I love the sound with the doors on.
I just find it odd that prior to me taking off the doors I was driving around with the windows down/top down and didn't notice any drone....
Sponsored