First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice here regarding headliners for my hardtop. A few things, I have dived deep into my research on Hothead Headliners and a few takeaways that are stopping me from pulling the trigger are price and shipping. I'm in Canada, converting to CAD currency from USD, it's around $950+ duties and taxes when it lands on my doorstep, meaning more than $1000. I am not arguing against the quality of the product and how good it is, however, are there any alternatives that won't break the bank as badly. I have not made a decision on a brand yet. Anyone have experience with other brands and how have they held up with quality and sound reduction? It's always a bit difficult trying to assess someone's review on a companies website, too many variables. Here on the forum, I'd rather get the straight details. Is it worth it? It's not chump change just lightly being thrown around and I do plan on a suspension lift + 35's in the future and I know for a fact that will increase noise.

TLDR: Other options than Hothead quality wise, experience with other products, need some input before making a decision on an expensive purchase.
Hi Arthur,

I just want to make sure that you have the correct prices as $1,000+ seems a bit high. When you go to our website from a different country, it should give you the option to view in your country and show you in your country's currency. I think you may be seeing CDN and then converting it further, but maybe not. Please feel free to email us directly at [email protected] and we can confirm the price for what you're looking at.

Have a great day!
-Mark
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
You could always ship your Hotheads to somewhere down here in Freedom Land and pick them up? Get better quality and don't get bent over so much by your people on price upticks.

OP
OP
AC87

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
Hi Arthur,

I just want to make sure that you have the correct prices as $1,000+ seems a bit high. When you go to our website from a different country, it should give you the option to view in your country and show you in your country's currency. I think you may be seeing CDN and then converting it further, but maybe not. Please feel free to email us directly at [email protected] and we can confirm the price for what you're looking at.

Have a great day!
-Mark
Hey Mark, didn't see the option to change currencies on your website, I'm definitely seeing pricing in USD even after calculating shipping. Currently, all options selected, it's $658.39 USD, which converted to Canadian will be $824.95 CAN charged to my Visa, and also, I will have to pay duties and taxes on that as well, an estimate from CRC Border Agency is $98.00 in taxes/duties which would more than likely come close to $1000 after everything is said and done and arrived on my doorstep. Cheers

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice With Headliners hotbodies

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Hey Mark, didn't see the option to change currencies on your website, I'm definitely seeing pricing in USD even after calculating shipping. Currently, all options selected, it's $658.39 USD, which converted to Canadian will be $824.95 CAN charged to my Visa, and also, I will have to pay duties and taxes on that as well, an estimate from CRC Border Agency is $98.00 in taxes/duties which would more than likely come close to $1000 after everything is said and done and arrived on my doorstep. Cheers

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice With Headliners hotbodies
Hi Arthur, I can confirm that those are our USD prices. You should have had the option to view the site in Canadian currency. I'll have my team take a look. I'm sorry that your country's taxes/duties are so high. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us.

Have a great day
-Mark

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice here regarding headliners for my hardtop. A few things, I have dived deep into my research on Hothead Headliners and a few takeaways that are stopping me from pulling the trigger are price and shipping. I'm in Canada, converting to CAD currency from USD, it's around $950+ duties and taxes when it lands on my doorstep, meaning more than $1000. I am not arguing against the quality of the product and how good it is, however, are there any alternatives that won't break the bank as badly. I have not made a decision on a brand yet. Anyone have experience with other brands and how have they held up with quality and sound reduction? It's always a bit difficult trying to assess someone's review on a companies website, too many variables. Here on the forum, I'd rather get the straight details. Is it worth it? It's not chump change just lightly being thrown around and I do plan on a suspension lift + 35's in the future and I know for a fact that will increase noise.

TLDR: Other options than Hothead quality wise, experience with other products, need some input before making a decision on an expensive purchase.
Arthur,
For what it's worth, I went through this same debate about a year ago and here's where I landed:
I'd eliminate the question whether you should do it or not and just commit. It's a worthwhile investment in both hot and cold weather. It also does help deaden sound, eliminating the reverberation sound bouncing off the hard, uncovered fiberglass. Plus it looks nice, finished. So yes - if you're considering it, do it.
You won't be sorry, promise.

Regarding the question which is best, or the best value, it's hard to say. I'm an OEM kinda-guy when possible for a bunch of reasons, so leaned that way from the start - though did explore other options. Kept returning to the Mopar and am (really) glad I went that route - no regrets.

Regarding those who have had problems with the adhesive, I have had no problems what so ever in either extreme hot or extreme cold. Follow the install instructions to the letter (no matter what you're installing) and you should be fine. Key is cleaning every contact area on the ceiling really well. It's all in the instructions. If you don't do this you can expect problems.

In the end I went with the Mopar Head Liner with the Hot Heads Completion Kit. It'll make sense when you dive in. The Mopar provides enough panels for nearly all the roof - except the thin piece directly above the Sport Bar, which is sort of covered anyway... Hot Heads sells a "completion kit" (I forget the price, $120?! - which seems like a lot for what you get) with three, small pieces that fit nicely in those empty spots, fully covering the recessed portions of the roof. And the fabric matches the Mopar fabric close enough that only upon very close inspection might you notice a difference.

After installing you'll notice being in the cabin simply feels better... it's a little quieter, a little more comfortable, and finished feeling - and softens the Jeep's hard fiberglass vibe enough to make you smile.

Ask what ever questions arise.
Peace, JBC

Sponsored

OP
OP
AC87

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
Arthur,
For what it's worth, I went through this same debate about a year ago and here's where I landed:
I'd eliminate the question whether you should do it or not and just commit. It's a worthwhile investment in both hot and cold weather. It also does help deaden sound, eliminating the reverberation sound bouncing off the hard, uncovered fiberglass. Plus it looks nice, finished. So yes - if you're considering it, do it.
You won't be sorry, promise.

Regarding the question which is best, or the best value, it's hard to say. I'm an OEM kinda-guy when possible for a bunch of reasons, so leaned that way from the start - though did explore other options. Kept returning to the Mopar and am (really) glad I went that route - no regrets.

Regarding those who have had problems with the adhesive, I have had no problems what so ever in either extreme hot or extreme cold. Follow the install instructions to the letter (no matter what you're installing) and you should be fine. Key is cleaning every contact area on the ceiling really well. It's all in the instructions. If you don't do this you can expect problems.

In the end I went with the Mopar Head Liner with the Hot Heads Completion Kit. It'll make sense when you dive in. The Mopar provides enough panels for nearly all the roof - except the thin piece directly above the Sport Bar, which is sort of covered anyway... Hot Heads sells a "completion kit" (I forget the price, $120?! - which seems like a lot for what you get) with three, small pieces that fit nicely in those empty spots, fully covering the recessed portions of the roof. And the fabric matches the Mopar fabric close enough that only upon very close inspection might you notice a difference.

After installing you'll notice being in the cabin simply feels better... it's a little quieter, a little more comfortable, and finished feeling - and softens the Jeep's hard fiberglass vibe enough to make you smile.

Ask what ever questions arise.
Peace, JBC
Hey JBC,

I 1000% agree. I bit the bullet on a set of Mopar, full coverage headliners for my 4 door JL Rubicon. It was available local, in CAN dollars and I was able to pick it up the next day. I have not installed it yet, waiting for this Saturday to get a few hours of wrench time in with my headliners and OEM Mopar fender lights. I am very happy with my purchase and I completely agree, it's worth the price regardless of what product you choose.

This is also nothing to discredit Hotbodies, the amount of excellent reviews on the product, if my situation was a bit different and I had some more cash to spend, I would of went this route for sure. I fully believe Hotbodies has an amazing product and wish them nothing but the best, however for my situation, and everyone is different, I went Mopar OEM and I am happy with the decision. I can't wait to install them and experience the effects. Thank you so much for your detailed post, I really appreciate it!

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey JBC,

I 1000% agree. I bit the bullet on a set of Mopar, full coverage headliners for my 4 door JL Rubicon. It was available local, in CAN dollars and I was able to pick it up the next day. I have not installed it yet, waiting for this Saturday to get a few hours of wrench time in with my headliners and OEM Mopar fender lights. I am very happy with my purchase and I completely agree, it's worth the price regardless of what product you choose.

This is also nothing to discredit Hotbodies, the amount of excellent reviews on the product, if my situation was a bit different and I had some more cash to spend, I would of went this route for sure. I fully believe Hotbodies has an amazing product and wish them nothing but the best, however for my situation, and everyone is different, I went Mopar OEM and I am happy with the decision. I can't wait to install them and experience the effects. Thank you so much for your detailed post, I really appreciate it!
Cool brother. Do yourself a favor and give yourself an afternoon - with the top off - to install. The freedom panels are a good place to start to get the feel of how stuff sticks - once the adhesive touches it's on there for good, so take your time.

The rest can be done with the top on but it's cumbersome and I knew I'd make a mistake because of it. So I took the top off, laid it on some 2x4's in the garage and worked on it that way. Much, much easier. I think I did the side panels with it mounted back on the Jeep - it was easier to work at real height like that. But for everything else the top was off.

The instructions will say to clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol. I picked up a bottle of 91% at Home Depot and just went to town on the whole top... I'm convinced this is why my panes hold secure. Take your time, have fun and know you've done a really good thing.

Peace, JBC

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
For the price, why wouldn't you do the Coverking Topliner. It is more in some cases, but you are covering the entire hardtop inner surface. Not just the "low" spots... https://coverking.com/collections/jeep/products/topliner?variant=42021629493410 The Mopar headliner is more expensive and it cover less...
Aesthetically, if you're looking for full coverage, Coverking does do that. I would not equate full coverage to better performance, though. All headliners will work to an extent, but the materials used, determine a lot of their effectiveness. We've done a couple Headliner Comparison Videos so you can see what each one is about and pick the best option for you.

OP
OP
AC87

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
Hey guys, little bit of a thread update, ended up going with a full mopar headliner setup. Really happy with how it turned out, thank you for all the advice, tips and comments. It's nice to have a friendly discussion about products and be civil about it, I wish the best to Hothead headliners, great product just a little out of the price range and location for me, however couldn't be happier with my decision. Cheers everyone

hardtop3.jpg

hardtop7.jpg

hardtop1.jpg

hardtop6.jpg

hardtop2.jpg
Sponsored