plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I put on the Hothead liner and sound strips yesterday, looks nice and road test did give me some marginal improvements on cabin noise. I have yet to tell the temperature effects since it is 50 right now in Oklahoma.

Installation tips: get some contractor drop cloths, if you plan to install the panels without talking off the tops, dust will be everywhere. Also like others said, take your time and move slowly, you will be rewarded by your patience.

Mine is graphite color, not much different from the default black.

20181120_141634.jpg

20181120_154253.jpg

20181120_154311.jpg
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Hot Head Customer Service was great! I was an early buyer of headliners for the JL. They answered all my questions within hours. They also provided some additional installation tips: the rear window areas also needed to be lightly sanded and acetone wiped to get the Velcro to adhere.
I installed both the sound assassin strips and the headliners. Completely satisfied.

Sirois2018

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Grande Cherokee Overland, 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
I installed the hothead headliners on my Rubicon, more for aesthetics than anything else. They fit great and give the Jeep a more "warm" feeling. I know that sounds silly but, that's how my wife put it. When I installed them it was fairly cold out so I used a heater inside the Jeep to get the top warm and a heat gun on the headliners to make sure they would stick.. Worked great.

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Are ya'll taking the top off to get the middle small strips on? wanting to do this on my sons `18 sport. and whenever I finally order mine I'll be getting them as well. my son is the guinea pig for testing

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
Called HotHeads yesterday and spoke with Mark...very nice gentleman...Ordered a set and he sent me the tracking number this morning...nice discount also!

Sponsored

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
Wanted to get the HotHead liners but the Jeep I bought already had the Mopar liners in. So far its definitely nicer inside than my 15 with no liners at all. Wonder if there is a way to improve on the mopar liners, like adding some dynomat under them or something.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Are ya'll taking the top off to get the middle small strips on? wanting to do this on my sons `18 sport. and whenever I finally order mine I'll be getting them as well. my son is the guinea pig for testing
I just installed mine this week. What I did to get the middle pieces in place is I unbolted the top and lifted the top about 2”. I then placed a 2x6 wrapped in a moving blanket under it to give me a little room to isand, clean and nstall the center panels. I wanted to remove the top bolts anyway as I purchased GPCA quick release thumb screws and D plates (https://www.gpca.us/quick-release-tie-down-d-ring-combo/) for their cargo cover and cargo organizer.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Hi, I'm assuming your talking about how to get the sound assassin strips the sound bar. I honestly don't think it will make any real difference to get those few inches up under there, so when we do installs in our shop we just cut the strip short. If you look at the back of the headliner panels there is not 3M tape where they slide under the sound bar. We want people to be able to install our headliners without removing their hard top. You can remove the front freedom panels but I never recommend remove the rest of the top.

I also want to let anyone who is interested know that we run a 10% Holiday sale until the end of the year. If you have any questions just drop us a line or give us a call.
Email: [email protected]
Web site link: Hothead Headliners
714-872-2071
Happy Holidays
Mark
460 x 290.jpg

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Love my Hot Heads, with Sound Assassin strips.

IMG_20180701_175832407.jpg

hughman666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 4 door
Took delivery of my JL Rubicon 4 door last week and put the Headliners + Sound Assassins on today. Observations - installation was pretty quick, an hour total. The sound of the Alpine system is instantly better, fewer reflective surfaces means a tightened subwoofer bottom end and a better sound overall. Wind/traffic noise is significantly reduced (tested at 70mph on I-90, as well scooting around Seattle). Will obviously need to wait until next year to comment on the temp insulation but I’m already glad I forked out the $$. Great product and they delivered in a couple of days. Awesome!

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to get the HotHead liners but the Jeep I bought already had the Mopar liners in. So far its definitely nicer inside than my 15 with no liners at all. Wonder if there is a way to improve on the mopar liners, like adding some dynomat under them or something.
I'd never really thought about them but one of my OEM headliners came unglued from the top and fell off. I couldn't believe how thin they were. I forget what the package cost, I think $500? They are maybe a quarter of an inch thick and they're only glued around the edges in a circle. They have zero heat reflective material. Really wish I'd skipped that package and gone with Hotheads.

And yes, they're GLUED on, not 3m adhesive strips. The TX heat melted that panels glue the first month I had my Jeep.

Look at this comparison;
vs OEM (keep in mind these have a lip on them, they aren't actually that thick, they curve in)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-New-J...dliner-Insulation-Kit-Mopar-OEM-/292647009483

I'll probably rip this junk out and replace with HH when I've got some spare money.

Last edited:

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
So it’s been a while from different posts I’ve been searching on headliners. Anyone one care to share their thoughts or recommendations on the Hotheads headliners or other headliners that installed them. Thinking of purchasing the Hotheads headliner but wondering if they are worth the money or if I should hold off and use that money elsewhere. They are not cheap.
I have the Hothead headliners (including the side/rear window pieces) and the Sound Assassin in my JLUR and although I cannot say how well they keep the interior from getting too hot (it's December in OR, so...), I can say they make a noticeable difference in terms of road noise. Another thing I noticed is that they dramatically improve the sound quality of the speakers. The bass is less boomy and the highs are less tinny. I suspect the naked hardtop acts as a bit of a resonator.
Sponsored