First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
'21 Willys 2 dr. Just got a set of 3" cubes to install in the rear bumper, got them hooked up to the backup light feed on the drivers side tail light and they cycle on and off. I'm guessing the canbus system doesn't like the extra load. Has anyone had luck getting this to work?
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Do you have LED tall lights or halogen? I could see the Canbus getting upset with the draw plus halogen lights. I am waiting for a day this week to wire in a BD light this way. Hoping the aftermarket LED's I installed help this issue.

There is a somewhat long thread about extra rear lights. Some cover the installations they did since many people wanted to dual wire the lights for the reverse and switch bank controls

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I haven’t tried but you probably need to run a new 12v wire and switch it on and off with a relay triggered by your backing lights.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
'21 Willys 2 dr. Just got a set of 3" cubes to install in the rear bumper, got them hooked up to the backup light feed on the drivers side tail light and they cycle on and off. I'm guessing the canbus system doesn't like the extra load. Has anyone had luck getting this to work?
@Red Willy

? ..... do you have the factory installed tow package on your JL?

IF so, there is a very easy easy way to hook up those b/u lights.

Read through this whole thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/

Oh ..... CanBus is undoubtedly having issues with the amp draw of those lights.

OP
OP
Red Willy

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Nobody
No factory tow package. The Jeep originally came with non LED rear lights which I changed to LED. That's why I thought it would carry the extra LED cube lights, but I guess not. Thanks Rhinebeck01 for the link. I 'll probably install a relay and power it off the rear power plug inside.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No factory tow package. The Jeep originally came with non LED rear lights which I changed to LED. That's why I thought it would carry the extra LED cube lights, but I guess not. Thanks Rhinebeck01 for the link. I 'll probably install a relay and power it off the rear power plug inside.
@Red Willy

You added more info about your situation... You have halogen rears and the cubes you are trying to use are LED.

With that said the issue is probably not amp draw related as I previously stated..... but just that CanBus is having a pissy fit about the LED's.

Anyway, do read in that thread.... for ideas on how to proceed.

OP
OP
Red Willy

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I thought about that too, and changed the setting with the Tazer back and forth with no difference. I had a relay sitting in the garage and hooked it up. Sure enough, with the relay it works great. I miss the days where you could add anything within reason without giving the computer a $hit hemorrhage. :angry:
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding cube lights for reverse 20211206_100558

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I thought about that too, and changed the setting with the Tazer back and forth with no difference. I had a relay sitting in the garage and hooked it up. Sure enough, with the relay it works great. I miss the days where you could add anything within reason without giving the computer a $hit hemorrhage. :angry:
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding cube lights for reverse 20211206_100558
What bumper is that, looks great w/ those lights too! Now that you're getting versed in JL wiring my license relocation would look great back there IMO.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/license-plate-relocation.62772/

OP
OP
Red Willy

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Nobody

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks, that's a Go Rhino rear. I got it cause it came with the tag mount but I really like the way you did yours. I'll probably add your mod to it if you don't mind... Also, that's the wife's plate. Changing it out next week.
Yeah, that relocation takes a bit more wire routing, but other than that it's $15 well spent IMO, and FWIW I've never used that tailgate keyhole.
I like that bumper, that small tube under the tire is a good look and nice extra protection there, looks like a well designed product. Do you happen to know the weight on that one?

OP
OP
Red Willy

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Yeah, that relocation takes a bit more wire routing, but other than that it's $15 well spent IMO, and FWIW I've never used that tailgate keyhole.
I like that bumper, that small tube under the tire is a good look and nice extra protection there, looks like a well designed product. Do you happen to know the weight on that one?
Somewhere around 71 lbs. I like that it wraps around the corners. My last bumper on the JLURD was like that and it saved the body a couple times.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding cube lights for reverse 20211206_191742
Sponsored