Sponsored

Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
I didnt want to start a new thread so I hope you dont mind me asking here. I wired up my old JL 500/1 and 10W7 using the Lc2i tapped into the rear speakers. I have the Lc2i set to "always on" with the threshold at max and the three dials about 3/4 up.

The setup sounds great but I ran through the JL Audio setup for the input sensitivity here using their 50Hz sine wave: https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374120-Amplifier-Level-Setting-Guide

I should max out about 44.7v but even with the system almost at full volume I barely hit 20v with the sensitivity at maximum.
Do you think I may be doing something wrong? As for the photos below I have since routed the power away from the RCAs.

This is my first system I havent replaced the head unit on so I never had to do the splice into rears and Lc2i before, Im guessing it may be a limitation on the LOC?

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) PXL_20221105_162324083(1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) PXL_20221105_164100105(1)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly. Is the 500/1 input voltage selector switch set to high or low?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Set to low as recommended. I didnt try out high.
May be worth trying. Since you are pulling a stock line signal, it could be overly sensitive. I don't run a similar setup and am unable to test it.

It could simply be a norm when not using a DSP or more advanced LOC. Please share what you find, and good luck!

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
May be worth trying. Since you are pulling a stock line signal, it could be overly sensitive. I don't run a similar setup and am unable to test it.

It could simply be a norm when not using a DSP or more advanced LOC. Please share what you find, and good luck!
Thanks Ill give it a shot!

Sponsored

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Are there any adapters available to connect the factory wiring harness for the alpine amp under the dash? I am going to upgrade it but it looks like those Cables are tight and will be a pain to work on

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any adapters available to connect the factory wiring harness for the alpine amp under the dash? I am going to upgrade it but it looks like those Cables are tight and will be a pain to work on
If simplicity is what you are looking for, the PAC device will be your best bet. There are other adapters, but it sounds like this might be a good path for what you are looking to accomplish.

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
maybe I am missing something but how do you tap into the existing speaker wires with the the amppro ? I don’t see a harness for that part unless it’s the aph-ch03? It shows only working up to 2020 so does that work on a 21 with the alpine system?

my plan is to use this amp/dsp btw so I don’t even need the rca connections so I think I could get away with the resistor trick? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109DSP4086/JBL-DSP4086.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
maybe I am missing something but how do you tap into the existing speaker wires with the the amppro ? I don’t see a harness for that part unless it’s the aph-ch03? It shows only working up to 2020 so does that work on a 21 with the alpine system?

my plan is to use this amp/dsp btw so I don’t even need the rca connections so I think I could get away with the resistor trick? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109DSP4086/JBL-DSP4086.html
Gotcha', sorry I assumed you wanted RCA level outputs.

I know you didn't ask, though I simply can't recommend that product. If you've heard it, and have experience with it, please share, but that device doesn't seem like it will offer much in the way of power/sound quality. I really don't mean to be critical, but if you're going to go through all of the effort to upgrade, you'll at least want enough power and sound quality to make a real difference over the stock system. That said, if you have had a good experience with it, please let us know.

Best of luck!

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Gotcha', sorry I assumed you wanted RCA level outputs.

I know you didn't ask, though I simply can't recommend that product. If you've heard it, and have experience with it, please share, but that device doesn't seem like it will offer much in the way of power/sound quality. I really don't mean to be critical, but if you're going to go through all of the effort to upgrade, you'll at least want enough power and sound quality to make a real difference over the stock system. That said, if you have had a good experience with it, please let us know.

Best of luck!
so there is no adapter like that? Everyone is just splicing straight into the wiring harness

There is another person who posted they did it and are happy https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/add-dsp-eq-to-premium-alpine-sound.102529/

Yeah it’s not going to be that much louder for sure but I am not looking for super loud i am looking more for the DSP / sound quality. It has very good ratings on crutchfield and you can get refurb ones on eBay for 250 bucks. 8 channel 40w rms + dsp there is nothing even remotely close to that price that I see . But that’s one of the reasons I really want a wiring harness so if I change my mind after I don’t have to mess with the stock harness even more. I am doing it all myself so I won’t have much money into it + I will be doing the knee panels at the same time anyway + the anll the other speakers Except the sub for now.

‘you don’t think this will be better sound quality wise? If not I am curious why, you are not going to offend me by any means I appreciate the advice

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
so there is no adapter like that? Everyone is just splicing straight into the wiring harness

There is another person who posted they did it and are happy https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/add-dsp-eq-to-premium-alpine-sound.102529/

Yeah it’s not going to be that much louder for sure but I am not looking for super loud i am looking more for the DSP / sound quality. It has very good ratings on crutchfield and you can get refurb ones on eBay for 250 bucks. 8 channel 40w rms + dsp there is nothing even remotely close to that price that I see . But that’s one of the reasons I really want a wiring harness so if I change my mind after I don’t have to mess with the stock harness even more. I am doing it all myself so I won’t have much money into it + I will be doing the knee panels at the same time anyway + the anll the other speakers Except the sub for now.

‘you don’t think this will be better sound quality wise? If not I am curious why, you are not going to offend me by any means I appreciate the advice
I believe there are adapters, at least I think I've seen a few, though I just haven't used them. Metra is a brand that usually makes those.

For sound quality, my concern is tied to how much the stock system is already equalized. The cost of that DSP/amp is just over that of a really good DSP, and I haven't read anything about it that indicates it balances out the stock signal. It has EQ capabilities, though you can only equalize a frequency so much before significant distortion/sound degradation is introduced.

The power output is unfortunately highly (grossly) overrated. I'm afraid this is a smoke and mirrors device that may be slightly louder than the base model system, negligible as compared to the Alpine system, and that assumes the stock speakers are used.

This unit simply won't handle the power needs of most upgraded speakers, as their RMS requirements demand true, low distortion RMS output at 4Ohms. This one claims 1,000 watts at .5 Ohms... Just not feasible.

Maybe a few others can chime in to share their perspectives. Do consider calling Travis (info near the bottom of post one) as he'll be able to provide more detail to enable you to make the best decision for you.

Hope that is helpful!

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I believe there are adapters, at least I think I've seen a few, though I just haven't used them. Metra is a brand that usually makes those.

For sound quality, my concern is tied to how much the stock system is already equalized. The cost of that DSP/amp is just over that of a really good DSP, and I haven't read anything about it that indicates it balances out the stock signal. It has EQ capabilities, though you can only equalize a frequency so much before significant distortion/sound degradation is introduced.

The power output is unfortunately highly (grossly) overrated. I'm afraid this is a smoke and mirrors device that may be slightly louder than the base model system, negligible as compared to the Alpine system, and that assumes the stock speakers are used.

This unit simply won't handle the power needs of most upgraded speakers, as their RMS requirements demand true, low distortion RMS output at 4Ohms. This one claims 1,000 watts at .5 Ohms... Just not feasible.

Maybe a few others can chime in to share their perspectives. Do consider calling Travis (info near the bottom of post one) as he'll be able to provide more detail to enable you to make the best decision for you.

Hope that is helpful!
Ughh now you have me wondering lol

for sure 1000w is way overrated for sure I am going more by the 8x40=320 which is probably realistic

what would you recommend? 8 channel amps seem rare so I would probably have to go with 2 x 4 channels most likely

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ughh now you have me wondering lol

for sure 1000w is way overrated for sure I am going more by the 8x40=320 which is probably realistic

what would you recommend? 8 channel amps seem rare so I would probably have to go with 2 x 4 channels most likely
;) That's why we're here! Just don't want you to go through all the trouble and not enjoy the end result. Jeeps are loud, and require a bit more clean power especially if the top is off/down.

I try not to make too many equipment specific recommendations, mostly because everyone tends to have their own goals/needs/wants.

FWIW, I run an 8 channel amp, with a dedicated sub amp. Main amp is a JL Audio 800/8, with a discrete channel sent to each mid-range and tweeter combo. That's a lot of work, as I it reqired all new wiring and speakers.

The reason the PAC device may work best for you is that it gives you the option of maintaining the stock speaker wiring. Not recommended with a powerful amp, but OK for lower power needs.

In your case, it seems the PAC Amp Pro is the best plug and play option, allowing you to buy an amp that fits your tastes and budget. You could consider the PAC, a new amp, and leave the stock speakers there for a little while (they may not last long) until you are ready to upgrade those, too. If you go this route, just remember that you need to calibrate the PAC before it will work.

I still recommend pinging Travis. He's a low pressure, industry expert who has helped many of our members with advice and fair pricing.

You'll be rocking out in no time!

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
But with the pac don’t you still have to cut into the factory speaker wires? i am assuming the wires go from the radio to the factory amp and from there the speakers are wired. Or can I just unhook the power to the factory amp and it will just allow the speakers to bypass it?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
But with the pac don’t you still have to cut into the factory speaker wires? i am assuming the wires go from the radio to the factory amp and from there the speakers are wired. Or can I just unhook the power to the factory amp and it will just allow the speakers to bypass it?
That's the best part about the PAC, it plugs in inline with the existing plugs. There is a wire dongle that comes with it, and as I understand it, that is where the output wires from your amp go.

Download the PAC manual, and you'll see what I'm referring to. Beware, as it's not the easiest manual to read!
Sponsored