Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I ran the positive red power wire through the grommet behind the glove box to the battery on my kicker sub before I knew there was an easier route. On the drivers side, there is pop out plug left side of the steering wheel and up under the dash panel about 10 inches. Much easier to maneuver IMO, just make sure you have enough wire length if going that way. I ran the front camera wire through that firewall plug at a later time and found it to be much simpler to access. It’s the same plug forum members Devicemanager highlighted in an earlier post.

Here are the pictures of the grommet and red wire above the glove box. It was a pain to fish through with an oversized tie wrap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 05AF3B81-D893-4CE8-835C-5E6B66EEFC6E

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 20F66CD1-195C-41CA-BDB7-9ED6D867AADF
Sponsored

Last edited:

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Thanks for the pic of the glovebox grommet. Was hoping there was an option to the drain hole for power wires. If I end up adding a sub under the front seat I plan on going through that drivers side grommet.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Thanks for the pic of the glovebox grommet. Was hoping there was an option to the drain hole for power wires. If I end up adding a sub under the front seat I plan on going through that drivers side grommet.
You can run through the drain hole under the carpet on the passenger front hole. I actually ran my MB Quarts power through the passenger front drain hole as they suggested in the instructions. It was pretty easy and I snaked my power wire and tie wrapped on top of the frame toward the engine and then went up to the battery. The wire is out of the way for off roading and not visible at all. There is another wire or cable running along that frame that you can tie wrap to until going up to the engine. If I would have known about the drivers side firewall plug hole at the time and how easy it was, that would have been my first choice. I don’t remember if there was enough wire length to use the MB Quarts Kit power though the drivers firewall plug, so might want to check that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 82D54DB8-638C-498A-BCC8-7610E76B6FE4

This is the MB Quarts wire going through the drain hole on the passenger side front. You can also see I cut a small notch out of the floor mat bottom so the wire allows the mat to sit flush on the floor. If you don’t have the Mopar Jeep mats it won’t matter as the drain plug is under the carpet the original OEM way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 559C0852-A162-4EF5-909E-AE3205EBAD65
No raise and mat is flush to the floor.

Last edited:

RAIDEDR_JLU

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hey Mike (and everyone)

On my third Jeep. From May to October my top and doors are almost always off unless it’s raining and the music being muffled by the wind has always been a pet peeve of mine! I decided it was time to swap out my factory speakers since I had some extra cash to spend. Admittedly (and after reading dozens of pages in this thread) I think I bit off more than I anticipated and am looking for a little help.

I have the basic 5” factory receiver. I put 6.5” Kicker 43DSC6504 speakers in the dash using the Metra pod enclosures and wiring adapters from Crutchfield. I also put the same 6.5” Kicker 43DSC6504 speakers using the SSV kit as well as Kicker 46CST204 tweeters in the rollbar with the crossover/wiring adapters from Crutchfield. Just did a straight swap/install. It has been a long time since I have done audio; obviously things have changed a bit!

Speakers sound ok; treble and mid are good but bass is subpar at best. After install in my garage, I felt like they were not as loud as the factory speakers which was crazy to me and thought maybe I was just tired. Driving in to work today with doors and top off confirms that they aren’t as loud.

Returned to this thread for help. I’m wondering what I should do now. These speakers must perform better than they are right now based on other user reviews and sales I read, right?

Long story long, but my question(s) is/are this: If I am understanding correctly, should I install the PAC Amp Pro (R2), run RCA cables to an amp, and run new wires from the amp to all speakers? I believe this would also allow me to put a small down-facing sub in the back to help with the bass. Also, am I better off moving the tweeters from the rollbar to the top dash locations since the 6.5” speakers are 2-way and have tweeters on them already? I replaced the 2.5” factory speakers with them but now second guessing myself. Any advice is appreciated.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Pac is the easiest way to get a line out from the HU. I am thinking that you will have to run new speaker wire with the amp install for the front end. The line to the soundbar goes up the b pillar to a a plug at the front of the soundbar. Go to page 5 of this for an overview of what it takes to find the harness for the sound bar.

https://mbquart.com/wp-content/uplo...Kit-MBQJ-ACC-1-MBQJ-ACC-1AH-Install-Rev02.pdf

Sponsored

cmykpro

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willys unlimited
Anyone have a solution for adding a T-connector to the factory Uconnect on the 2022 models? Apparently they changed the pin layout in 22.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who says that? I had a Pioneer w4660nex running in my 22 with a Metra AXPIO-JL1 before I decided to go with the MB Quart stage 6. It comes with a T harness as well and there’s been no notice that it won’t work with a 22.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PAC Amp Pro plugged right in. No issues

DinkyMcStinky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This thread was instrumental in helping me this weekend, I have the non-amplified system, 7" screen. Added Alpine X-A90V, Stealthbox, changed out all speakers with Alpine R-S65C.2 (ran new 16GA wire to all speakers), connected with the PAC AmpPRO. System sounds amazing with the top off. Still want to get the JL amp mount for under the passenger seat. Between this thread and YouTube, install was relatively simple, just time consuming.

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
This thread was instrumental in helping me this weekend, I have the non-amplified system, 7" screen. Added Alpine X-A90V, Stealthbox, changed out all speakers with Alpine R-S65C.2 (ran new 16GA wire to all speakers), connected with the PAC AmpPRO. System sounds amazing with the top off. Still want to get the JL amp mount for under the passenger seat. Between this thread and YouTube, install was relatively simple, just time consuming.
I bet that sounds awesome! Did you do a set of the components in the front + roll bar? I"m thinking about buying the same set.

Sponsored

DinkyMcStinky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I bet that sounds awesome! Did you do a set of the components in the front + roll bar? I"m thinking about buying the same set.
Yes, components in the front and in the rollbar. I know the tweeter placement up front isn't ideal but it works for now. Used a dremel to cut a hole in the stock grill and they screw into place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) IMG-1535
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) IMG-1534

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Yes, components in the front and in the rollbar. I know the tweeter placement up front isn't ideal but it works for now. Used a dremel to cut a hole in the stock grill and they screw into place.

That actually doesn't look bad at all. Is that the SSV Works adapters in the sound bar?

Drc2022

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited
New here so been reading a lot and I have an 18 jl with a base system I replaced the unit with a stinger height 10 and jl wiring all works great my question is I just bought merta pods for the front and pods for the sound bar and a jl amp will I be able to just run rcas from the stinger to the amp and wires from the amp to the speakers or will i need to do resistors like mentioned in here I think I know the answer but I want to be sure
Sponsored