Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone I would just like to let you know that JL Audio will be making " speaker kits" for the JL Wrangler to upgrade the stock speakers!!! It's still in R&D but can expect them to be coming out in the next few months. I'm an employee there and let the company use my jeep as the test dummy.
That would take the most difficult part of the install out of the equation. I trust that they (ya'll) are compensating for the resistors in some fashion? A Jeep specific version of the JL Audio FiX-LSA-4 would be ideal. My trial and error spanned a few weekends, and involved several trips to return things.
Sponsored

Cmarr22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
That would take the most difficult part of the install out of the equation. I trust that they (ya'll) are compensating for the resistors in some fashion? A Jeep specific version of the JL Audio FiX-LSA-4 would be ideal. My trial and error spanned a few weekends, and involved several trips to return things.
Yes from what I've heard they what to make it as easy as possible. I know they will be using the new VXi amps and have TuN software. Which help with EQ on the car. When I know more I'll be sure to share.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers-vxi

Last edited:

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Most head units these days send encoded/processed signals to the stock amps and the only way to pull a usable signal over to an aftermarket amp is from the stock amp's output. I haven't had a chance to test the Alpine system, though.

I understand it's expensive, but I have to recommend the JL Fix referenced above. It can handle the stock amp's speaker level output/signal, but more importantly, it conditions the signal and provides a more balanced feed to your aftermarket amp. I'm blown away by the quality of sound I'm getting out of it. You will need the resistors. If you run four channels (Front-left, Front-right, Rear-left, Rear-right) you'll need 4 of the resistors mentioned. Buy 8 in case you break a few (they're really cheap!).

This diagram may not transfer well (use full screen just in case). Just before the JL Audio Fix's input, you'll strip a small section of the wires just before the positive and negative connectors for each channel. The resistor is soldered at the solder points shown. I'd recommend staggering them so the ceramic resistor sits parallel with your positive and negative wires. Then, carefully apply heat shrink or some other protective shield.

Resistor.PNG
Where did you physically locate the LOC and amplifier inside the jeep?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you physically locate the LOC and amplifier inside the jeep?
They are all securely and discretely mounted under the rear seat. If you take the four front bolts of the back seats off, each seat will easily fold up. Just get a bungee cord to hold them up there. Then, un-snap the carpet, and you'll have access to plenty of room there. Those carpet folds also provide easy access to tweak/tune the amps and JL Fix.

12V fans were added to circulate air, since they have been mounted under the carpet (everything still buttons down nicely and the folds of the carpet created a clear "wind tunnel" for my fans). This location was chosen due to the need to conceal two amps plus the JL Fix. Wires also conveniently run from the radio to the amp, and then from the amps back to the speakers. Fronts run through the center console, rears run to the right passenger-side pillar tapped in at the floor.

You could place the JL Fix above the steering column, and if you have a compact amp, it could be mounted in the frame behind the dash panel that is immediately below the steering wheel. I simply had too much equipment and needed more square feet.

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
They are all securely and discretely mounted under the rear seat. If you take the four front bolts of the back seats off, each seat will easily fold up. Just get a bungee cord to hold them up there. Then, un-snap the carpet, and you'll have access to plenty of room there. Those carpet folds also provide easy access to tweak/tune the amps and JL Fix.

12V fans were added to circulate air, since they have been mounted under the carpet (everything still buttons down nicely and the folds of the carpet created a clear "wind tunnel" for my fans). This location was chosen due to the need to conceal two amps plus the JL Fix. Wires also conveniently run from the radio to the amp, and then from the amps back to the speakers. Fronts run through the center console, rears run to the right passenger-side pillar tapped in at the floor.

You could place the JL Fix above the steering column, and if you have a compact amp, it could be mounted in the frame behind the dash panel that is immediately below the steering wheel. I simply had too much equipment and needed more square feet.
I am still unable to locate the factory upgraded Alpine amps. I looked under the steering and in the clovebox compactment couldn't find anything that looks like an amp. I stopped by the Jeep service/parts and asked for schematic of the amps if I needed to replace it, and they said they don't have it.

Greatly appreciate if anyone can share their finding. I got the JLFix 86, JL Amps, Hertz speakers ready to install just couldn't find the Alpine Amps.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am still unable to locate the factory upgraded Alpine amps. I looked under the steering and in the clovebox compactment couldn't find anything that looks like an amp. I stopped by the Jeep service/parts and asked for schematic of the amps if I needed to replace it, and they said they don't have it.

Greatly appreciate if anyone can share their finding. I got the JLFix 86, JL Amps, Hertz speakers ready to install just couldn't find the Alpine Amps.
Two recommendations... First, contact the store you purchased your equipment from, assuming it was a store and not Amazon. They should be able to offer some guidance as to location and where they tap in. Second, try reaching out to Benny here on the forums. He's with AllMoparParts.com and has been an amazing resource for all of us. Wish I could help you more, though I just haven't seen a premium system yet.

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Two recommendations... First, contact the store you purchased your equipment from, assuming it was a store and not Amazon. They should be able to offer some guidance as to location and where they tap in. Second, try reaching out to Benny here on the forums. He's with AllMoparParts.com and has been an amazing resource for all of us. Wish I could help you more, though I just haven't seen a premium system yet.
Thanks Michael, I bought some parts from AllMoparParts.com. Let me email them for guidance.

Cmarr22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Any thoughts on where to install DRC controller knob. I had it placed in the tray below the parking brake, there's a hole there already and I really don't want to make a new until I'm a 100% sure.

20180513_161555.jpg

Sponsored

flyinbrian929

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just wanted to let everyone know I followed Stings guide for base radio and I have to say it’s better then the alpine by far. I went with all JBL speakers I did not jump to 5.25 but wish I had since I still had to modify pods a little. I started by running 8 new speaker wire from back to dash. Then I spliced in at harness via Stings colors. I know this was a longer route but this way I didn’t have to keep taking everything apart to access anything. Next I used this NVX XPLOC4 600W with 47 Ohm Resistors. Then for the NVX to a MB quart 4ch marine amp and from the output channel on the amp it goes to a Rockford p300-10. It took a little to tune with all the inputs and such but worth it. I mounted the amp under the back seats. I maybe have $750 and 10-12 hours it the whole thing.

Thanks Sting for the guide saved me a a lot of headaches.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic, great to hear that it worked! It definitely takes some time, but the end result is sooooo worth it. Congratulations!

chuck_tempe

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR 2010 Black JKU
Thanks for the stereo info. I have just got my Rubi last week and did not get the Alpine system. I installed car audio for many years and felt I can do a better job and cheaper than what the factory offered. I don't think I will go crazy and do a full blown install.

What I am thinking of is an existing powered bass tube that I have, changing out all of the speakers and maybe a small amp. Have you heard the Kicker KEY180.4 amp? I have not heard one yet but this is supposed to have equalization and time delay built in. This unit is supposed to take speaker level input. I wonder if it would need the resistors you mentioned. Kind of a pain in the butt and unnecessary but if this helps protect the factory amp from frying, then it is a good thing.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the stereo info. I have just got my Rubi last week and did not get the Alpine system. I installed car audio for many years and felt I can do a better job and cheaper than what the factory offered. I don't think I will go crazy and do a full blown install.

What I am thinking of is an existing powered bass tube that I have, changing out all of the speakers and maybe a small amp. Have you heard the Kicker KEY180.4 amp? I have not heard one yet but this is supposed to have equalization and time delay built in. This unit is supposed to take speaker level input. I wonder if it would need the resistors you mentioned. Kind of a pain in the butt and unnecessary but if this helps protect the factory amp from frying, then it is a good thing.
Resistors should only be needed if you are replacing the stock speakers. If you are simply tapping into them (rear channel, I assume) you shouldn't need resistors.

Keep us posted!

PS: I, unfortunately, don't know much about that amp.

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest to the effectiveness of the Fix-86 inside of the JL. I have the factory 8.4" Alpine system. I have all of the original Alpine speakers active, except for the subwoofer. It is currently just sitting in the vehicle unused. The sub and amp I now have are the JL Audio 600/1v3 and a JL Audio 12W6V3 in a high output box. It hits extremely hard.

I do suggest that you Dynamat the entire interior of the vehicle for improved sound quality. It's expensive, but well worth it.

The knob for the Fix-86 can be installed anywhere. My installers just put it underneath the steering wheel in the legroom area of the driver's seat via a custom made bracket. I didn't want anything drilled.
Sponsored