ACE Standalone Tire Carrier Tips

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I installed my ACE Standalone Tire Carrier last week and I thought I would write up a few tips:

First, watch a ton of videos. Watch them multiple times. Not only the ACE video, but watch other videos about installs of other tire carriers. What frustrated me was all of the steps that ACE skipped in their video. They don't cover removal of the interior panel you need to remove to get to the hinges. They don't cover the removal (or reattachment, for that matter) of the camera. They actually don't even tell you that you need a really tiny torx driver to remove the camera. You get to find that out after you already have things opened up.

Second, use shims to prop up the tailgate. I still had to tweak the alignment of the tailgate /down/, because there was now less weight on it and it was hitting the striker too high. Even still, the shims meant these tweaks were small rather than significant.

Third, keep the body hinge bolts only slightly tight until you get the carrier connected to the new hinges. There's a little bit of movement that you need in order to get the carrier lined up and mounted. The tolerances are so tight and those body bolts are really the only adjustment available.

Fourth, the heim joint is my nemesis. It is what's unique about this tire carrier (as opposed to the panel approach of Motobilt and Evo), but I think I spent more time adjusting this joint than I did the tailgate. I also had the thing rattle loose entirely from one end on a road trip. The only thing holding the tire against the tailgate was the wiring for the brake light and camera. This was because I hadn't tightened down the jam nuts. I also realized that the tire tends to pull away a bit from the tailgate when you have the tailgate wide open. You'll want to close the tailgate and adjust the heim joint this way, rather than with the tailgate fully open. This cut down on the rattle induced by the tire moving towards and away from the tailgate ever so slightly.

Fifth, have a lot of time on your hands or a friend to help. I think all told this took me seven hours and was certainly the most involved install I've done on the Jeep to date. With a friend, I probably could have easily cut two hours out of this, maybe even three.

Sixth, make sure you have a grease gun. They don't call this out explicitly at the beginning, but you will need it. I used plain ole heavy duty grease (from Lucas).

Overall, I'm really happy with the carrier. But be warned that it's a non-trivial install.

Here's a few videos that may be of help:

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I only watched the first bit of the Ace video but I want to buy an M12 cordless ratchet and some real ratcheting wrenches and send to those poor guys LOL

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I only watched the first bit of the Ace video but I want to buy an M12 cordless ratchet and some real ratcheting wrenches and send to those poor guys LOL
They eventually break out the air tools. I guess they got a rush on towards the end. I can relate.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They eventually break out the air tools. I guess they got a rush on towards the end. I can relate.
Nah, that's my point. If you're gonna make videos the M12 ratchet is much quieter than the banshee shriek of an air ratchet. And he was using the super old-school "plate sandwich" ratcheting wrenches which work but you can tell they're super coarse tooth.

But, obviously, I'm a tool junkie

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nah, that's my point. If you're gonna make videos the M12 ratchet is much quieter than the banshee shriek of an air ratchet. And he was using the super old-school "plate sandwich" ratcheting wrenches which work but you can tell they're super coarse tooth.

But, obviously, I'm a tool junkie
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I broke out my M12 ratchet. :like:

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Hey just installed this and your thread helped me alot. Ace really needs to do some written instructions and or update their video. They have also made a few changes to the product since their video. Here are a few more tips on what is a better way to install this IMO. YMMV

1) Install the gateplate first. It now only has one vent cutout and uses all 8 factory bolt locations.
jeep26-jpg.jpg

1) Stack cardboard under the tailgate on both sides and close it to keep the tailgate from dropping during hinge removal.
2) Don't fully assemble the carrier. It will be lighter and easier to manage. It's also easier to assemble the parts once the carrier is on the jeep.
3) Remove one hinge(I did the top one) install and fully tighten the Ace hinge to the body and tailgate.
jeep27-jpg.jpg

4) Remove the other hinge. Loosely install the Ace hinge. Leave slack at the body and tailgate.
5) Install the carrier on the hinges. Fully tighten the lower hinge to the body and tail gate. Fully tighten the hinge and carrier bolts. Grease the bolts. It should swing freely. Your tailgate should be aligned correctly.
jeep30-jpg.jpg

6) Loosely install the cradle to the cradle bracket. When you close the carrier to the tailgate it will self align. I had to clearance the cradle with a grinder as the bracket weld interfered with fitment.
jeep29-jpg.jpg

7) Install the Heim link. Adjust its length so the cradle bracket is fully engaged when the tailgate is closed. It should look like this when aligned and closed.
jeep32-jpg.jpg

8) Fully assemble the carrier. Install the rotopax mounts/tire snubbers. Install the spare mount bracket. Install your spare. Install any extras like hi-lift/rotopax. You need the full weight on the carrier arm. It will sag some under the weight of everything on the carrier. The cradle bolts should still be loose. Close the gate to align the cradle correctly. Make any necessary adjustments to the heim length to get the cradle fully closed/engaged. Now tighten down the bolts on the cradle a long extension is helpful.
9) Test fittement. Open and close the tailgate. For me gate alignment was good. If alignment is off stack cardboard under the gate again and close the gate. Loosen the t-55 torx bolts on the gate hinges. Raise gate and re-tighten bolts.

If you get a heavier spare or add more weight at a later date loosen the cradle bolts and it will re-self align. If you don't the swing arm will push down on the tailgate and you will get alignment issues. Also you can reuse the plastic gaskets over the body hinge bolts if you peel them carefully. I just stuck a fingernail under one corner and peeled. Store them somewhere the sticky stuff won't get dirty while your doing the installation.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
For those of you interested. Attached is a full install guide for the Ace JL Stand Along Tire Carrier. Ace hasn't put it on their site yet, but it should be up soon.

I did this install back in February and as some have mentioned, a few parts have changed. A number of them changed due to the guide that I created. That is in part why this has taken a while to be released. Ace was great at taking feedback, making modifications, and sending new parts to me.

SEE ATTACHED PDF.

It's a great tire carrier and I hope this helps some of you.

FYI...I modified my tire carrier later to allow for the stock backup camera to be used. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you the quick and dirty version until I have time to make a full addendum to the original guide.

234081-db4b1111b42f15b4526d0948245de2e2.jpg

ACE TC w Stock Camera.jpg

Attachments

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Fed Ex delivered mine today. I’m hoping to get it installed this weekend.
Thanks for all the tips

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Can someone take a few pics of the difference in tire distance from the tailgate from one side to the other that people keep mentioning as looking funny. I can't really see it from any of the pics online.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone take a few pics of the difference in tire distance from the tailgate from one side to the other that people keep mentioning as looking funny. I can't really see it from any of the pics online.
I no longer have this Jeep (and I’m selling the carrier if anyone is interested), but here’s a few pics I took at the time i installed it. The measurement is from the rear window of the hard top to the tire. Looks like 7” on the drivers side and 8” on the passenger side.
I included a pic of the rear view camera. The Jeep is straight in the parking spot, but you can see in the camera how the image is skewed due to the mounting. I will say you get used to it and it isn’t that big a deal.

851F4695-041C-4D31-BE74-64EAD24FAB36.jpeg

28BA177B-BBD2-454D-8A38-DB56EBF40A5C.jpeg

2F79CC3D-E84A-4147-A9F2-CCCDB292EED6.jpeg

A0A7F109-CDD8-4E2B-B582-47BAFBFCC270.jpeg

1CB3A1A4-3D89-4B2C-B6B7-08432A9FAA98.jpeg

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Thanks. An inch is not that bad, might not be as noticeable with the hi-lift. I can't find any other mounts that have a hi-lift and rotopax mount for this price.

Chotaling

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Has anyone installed the Ace carrier with the 3rd brake light/backup camera option vs license plate/backup c
I no longer have this Jeep (and I’m selling the carrier if anyone is interested), but here’s a few pics I took at the time i installed it. The measurement is from the rear window of the hard top to the tire. Looks like 7” on the drivers side and 8” on the passenger side.
I included a pic of the rear view camera. The Jeep is straight in the parking spot, but you can see in the camera how the image is skewed due to the mounting. I will say you get used to it and it isn’t that big a deal.

Jeep Wrangler JL ACE Standalone Tire Carrier Tips 1CB3A1A4-3D89-4B2C-B6B7-08432A9FAA98

Jeep Wrangler JL ACE Standalone Tire Carrier Tips 1CB3A1A4-3D89-4B2C-B6B7-08432A9FAA98

are these pics of the Ace 3rd brake light/rear camera option or was it another relocation kit? I see the option of 3rd brake light/camera on the site but the only pics on Ace sight are for the license plate / camera option

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed the Ace carrier with the 3rd brake light/backup camera option vs license plate/backup c

are these pics of the Ace 3rd brake light/rear camera option or was it another relocation kit? I see the option of 3rd brake light/camera on the site but the only pics on Ace sight are for the license plate / camera option
These pics are with the Ace camera mount modified with a Mopar 3rd brake light mount.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

I have. It thought it was easy and I like the way the license plate holder is secured.

Jeep Wrangler JL ACE Standalone Tire Carrier Tips 1610979516892