pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I always wonder about these designs.
I mean, they are clearly way thicker and heavier than the stock carrier, but the still mount to the same spot, which is aluminum.
Given that aluminum is way more susceptible to metal fatigue, would this not make it much more likely to just crack at the body mount?
Especially if you are driving a lot of wash board roads, which are murder on part.
Would something which mounts to the frame not be way more robust?

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
I always wonder about these designs.
I mean, they are clearly way thicker and heavier than the stock carrier, but the still mount to the same spot, which is aluminum.
Given that aluminum is way more susceptible to metal fatigue, would this not make it much more likely to just crack at the body mount?
Especially if you are driving a lot of wash board roads, which are murder on part.
Would something which mounts to the frame not be way more robust?
This mounts to the substructure inside the bed of the Jeep and carries the load there, so fatigue isn't an issue.

Thank you,

Sponsored

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ACE Engineering
Can this be used without the two rotopak ears? Will the tire still snug up to the carrier/tailgate sufficiently?
We recommend leaving the ears in place to help stabalize the tire since they can't be see without the RotopaX on (the spare hides them), but it's not a necessity.

Thank you,

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
We recommend leaving the ears in place to help stabalize the tire since they can't be see without the RotopaX on (the spare hides them), but it's not a necessity.

Thank you,
Thanks.
I would not use them so I thought taking them off to simplify and loose the weight.
What is current lead-time on this one?

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.
I would not use them so I thought taking them off to simplify and loose the weight.
What is current lead-time on this one?
Current lead time is 4-6 weeks.

Thank you,

Chaz255

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited Rubicon, 2016 grand Cherokee
Occupation
Management
I just installed mine and have to say
NOT Thrilled at all.
The carrier sits closer to the tailgate on the driver's side by almost 2"
looking from the side the tire and Rotopax aren't in line with the window or the gate. And the tire pitches out at the top.
Esthetically it looks aweful

Last edited:

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I just installed mine and have to say
NOT Thrilled at all.
The carrier sits closer to the tailgate on the driver's side by almost 2"
looking from the side the tire and Rotopax aren't in line with the window or the gate. And the tire pitches out at the top.
Esthetically it looks aweful
Any chance for a photo?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Anyone know the weight?

Any long term reviews?
I have had this tire carrier for approx one year and put almost 20,000 miles on the JLUR. I have run sand dunes, trails, rock climbed and wheeled all over the US. Got 10 badge of honors. The tire carrier has been awesome. No rattles, very solid, I thought the install was easy, but all day. I also installed the rear bumper on the same day.

The build quality is excellent. Great welds, and the fit and finish was excellent. I took some trial and error to adjust it, but I think that was more of a learning curve thing for me.

xel7a4yPd_npvPMQOOXYuT0dHyPpu9joiSUCN3rMJz1fQ2ynSYH372_y67bEmc-3lCgjDEkTKH1d73Rm9w=w1346-h757-no.jpg

N8S1P9OPWF_LaRk4XXcdIjMbcqPLIdpjlOpsUZsHjW3ZmlZJy3_f3NFDrcVs7Hl1W5qbli0gWtcxcaAVoA=w1346-h757-no.jpg

MgXVHy8caoAf8EqxOIhjunOESbmQFYzjGj8l3Jcou23K2QRVmTGUMk_7bI4W0xHOvvmzv1XTPCnoduDehEw=w426-h757-no.jpg

I think it comes with a bunch of features also. Built in CB antenna mount, High Jack mount, Ropak mounts, easy one handed tailgate opening, and Michigan build, USA built bonus for me.

I also have their rear bumper. That son of bitch is tough, There is absolutely no flex in it. I don't think it can be damaged. I think you could run it over with a tank or dump truck with out damaging it. I sure you could beat it with sledge hammer with no damage. I know that you can drop off a ledge land on the rear bumper and drag yourself off said rock ledge with no flex into the tub of the Jeep and no damage to the bumper.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Why is it so complicated (two hinges, heimbolt, etc) where as others are less?

Chaz255

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited Rubicon, 2016 grand Cherokee
Occupation
Management
I have had this tire carrier for approx one year and put almost 20,000 miles on the JLUR. I have run sand dunes, trails, rock climbed and wheeled all over the US. Got 10 badge of honors. The tire carrier has been awesome. No rattles, very solid, I thought the install was easy, but all day. I also installed the rear bumper on the same day.

The build quality is excellent. Great welds, and the fit and finish was excellent. I took some trial and error to adjust it, but I think that was more of a learning curve thing for me.

xel7a4yPd_npvPMQOOXYuT0dHyPpu9joiSUCN3rMJz1fQ2ynSYH372_y67bEmc-3lCgjDEkTKH1d73Rm9w=w1346-h757-no.jpg

N8S1P9OPWF_LaRk4XXcdIjMbcqPLIdpjlOpsUZsHjW3ZmlZJy3_f3NFDrcVs7Hl1W5qbli0gWtcxcaAVoA=w1346-h757-no.jpg

MgXVHy8caoAf8EqxOIhjunOESbmQFYzjGj8l3Jcou23K2QRVmTGUMk_7bI4W0xHOvvmzv1XTPCnoduDehEw=w426-h757-no.jpg

I think it comes with a bunch of features also. Built in CB antenna mount, High Jack mount, Ropak mounts, easy one handed tailgate opening, and Michigan build, USA built bonus for me.

I also have their rear bumper. That son of bitch is tough, There is absolutely no flex in it. I don't think it can be damaged. I think you could run it over with a tank or dump truck with out damaging it. I sure you could beat it with sledge hammer with no damage. I know that you can drop off a ledge land on the rear bumper and drag yourself off said rock ledge with no flex into the tub of the Jeep and no damage to the bumper.
Nice jeep
Yours and mine are the first 2 side pics of this carrier installed online.
If I'd known it doesn't mount square to the body I would never have ordered it. My OCD
Lol
Sponsored