First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Awesome. If you are able to find it, let me know and I'll send some additional info to make that EAG adapter work. If not, you might be able to do it by sawing off the stock camera cover from the tire carrier.

All the best,
Kurt
EAG replied and said they are expecting the harness will be available in 2-6 weeks (?) but they do not have the 'tire adapter'. Do I need both pieces?

BTW - what size are your tires? Do you have decent visibility out the rear window using the ACE Stand Alone Tire Carrier?
Sponsored

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
EAG replied and said they are expecting the harness will be available in 2-6 weeks (?) but they do not have the 'tire adapter'. Do I need both pieces?

BTW - what size are your tires? Do you have decent visibility out the rear window using the ACE Stand Alone Tire Carrier?
Sorry. I missed your reply.

You do need the tire adapter to get the "factory camera looking" mod to work. I'm guessing they were infringing on some sort of patent and that is why they don't make it any more. Bummer.

I'm running 35" tires and my rear window is basically useless. ACE mounts the tire very high and there is no vertical adjustment. It's something I wish I could change about that carrier.

Good luck.

Jeepender

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Sorry. I missed your reply.

You do need the tire adapter to get the "factory camera looking" mod to work. I'm guessing they were infringing on some sort of patent and that is why they don't make it any more. Bummer.

I'm running 35" tires and my rear window is basically useless. ACE mounts the tire very high and there is no vertical adjustment. It's something I wish I could change about that carrier.

Good luck.
Thanks. I’ve gotten my 35’s and ordered the carrier a week ago. Hopefully I don’t regret the loss of the rear window visibility but I figure with the camera I’ll be ok when backing up. Mostly I’m concerned about having the extra weight of the on the factory tailgate which the ACE carrier should resolve. If I ever get that adapter, I’ll hit you back.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I’ve gotten my 35’s and ordered the carrier a week ago. Hopefully I don’t regret the loss of the rear window visibility but I figure with the camera I’ll be ok when backing up. Mostly I’m concerned about having the extra weight of the on the factory tailgate which the ACE carrier should resolve. If I ever get that adapter, I’ll hit you back.
That is the nice thing about the ACE carrier. It takes all of the weight off the tailgate. I don't really miss the rear window. My wife's jeep is stock and it's nice now and then, but not critical. Like you said...the camera makes up for a lot of it. You can also get rear view mirrors that are actually displays with a camera that you put on the back of your jeep and it makes it like you have your rear view mirror back again. I haven't seen the need to do that yet.

Good luck with the install. It's not easy.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I've been trying to figure out a tire carrier option as I know it's going to have to be one of my first mods. I Ordered my Wrangler with the Mopar hinge reinforcement :headbang:. Thought I'd learned from prior lessons from the countless modes I've done and redone with other vehicles from not doing my proper home work before purchasing. I had my decision down to the LOD or Genright tire carrier (yes I know they are two completely different designs). Before reading through this thread I didn't realize where this tire carrier was mounted and now I feel I'm backup to three to decide between. The carrier looks rock solid, which brings me to question to those of you who have had it for a while. How is everything holding up? Is there any issues with the latch of the gate for those of you running 37-40's? To me it looks like the tire carrier wouldn't be the week point but the latching system. How is everything holding up after going out and hitting some harder trails, washboards, things to that effect?

Sponsored

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to figure out a tire carrier option as I know it's going to have to be one of my first mods. I Ordered my Wrangler with the Mopar hinge reinforcement :headbang:. Thought I'd learned from prior lessons from the countless modes I've done and redone with other vehicles from not doing my proper home work before purchasing. I had my decision down to the LOD or Genright tire carrier (yes I know they are two completely different designs). Before reading through this thread I didn't realize where this tire carrier was mounted and now I feel I'm backup to three to decide between. The carrier looks rock solid, which brings me to question to those of you who have had it for a while. How is everything holding up? Is there any issues with the latch of the gate for those of you running 37-40's? To me it looks like the tire carrier wouldn't be the week point but the latching system. How is everything holding up after going out and hitting some harder trails, washboards, things to that effect?
I've had this tire carrier on for 2 years now running 35" tires (BFG KO2).

I have not had any issues with it other than the initial install. At the time the JL was very new and there were fitment issues due to slight changes between preproduction, first run, and second run 2018 JLs. I worked closely with Adam over at ACE Engineering and we got everything fixed. The only other trouble was the lack of install information for this carrier. It's complicated and requires a lot of time. I did create a full install guide for this carrier. ACE is supposed to send it out with new purchase, but I don't know if that has happened and I still don't see it on their site. If you need instructions, I can send them or you can probably find them earlier in this thread (I've posted them in a few places now).

The reason I went with this carrier was that it took everything off of the tailgate. However, this is also a big con. It causes the tire to stick out much further past the rear of the vehicle. This creates a lever effect causing additional stress on the mounting components. ACE states it was designed for this. However, it's still really far out there.

It's a great tire carrier. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the LoD full width bumper w/ carrier and get the weight off the tailgate system entirely.

Either way you can't really go wrong and hopefully this information is helpful.

Good Luck!

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I've had this tire carrier on for 2 years now running 35" tires (BFG KO2).

I have not had any issues with it other than the initial install. At the time the JL was very new and there were fitment issues due to slight changes between preproduction, first run, and second run 2018 JLs. I worked closely with Adam over at ACE Engineering and we got everything fixed. The only other trouble was the lack of install information for this carrier. It's complicated and requires a lot of time. I did create a full install guide for this carrier. ACE is supposed to send it out with new purchase, but I don't know if that has happened and I still don't see it on their site. If you need instructions, I can send them or you can probably find them earlier in this thread (I've posted them in a few places now).

The reason I went with this carrier was that it took everything off of the tailgate. However, this is also a big con. It causes the tire to stick out much further past the rear of the vehicle. This creates a lever effect causing additional stress on the mounting components. ACE states it was designed for this. However, it's still really far out there.

It's a great tire carrier. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the LoD full width bumper w/ carrier and get the weight off the tailgate system entirely.

Either way you can't really go wrong and hopefully this information is helpful.

Good Luck!
Super helpful! I really apricate the response, I've been leading in a direction and your response gave some good insight. The more educated and shared experiences from others I get will hopefully help get the right equipment for my desired needs. Tired of buyers remorse. I think I've made my decision. Though additional information is always helpful, and helpful to those in the future as well.
-Nice job on the instructions you composed.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super helpful! I really apricate the response, I've been leading in a direction and your response gave some good insight. The more educated and shared experiences from others I get will hopefully help get the right equipment for my desired needs. Tired of buyers remorse. I think I've made my decision. Though additional information is always helpful, and helpful to those in the future as well.
-Nice job on the instructions you composed.
I have made plenty of mistakes. So I'm happy to share any information that can help someone make a better decision for their needs. Keep us posted with what you decide to go with and how you like it once you get it installed.

I'm glad you liked the instructions. They were a pain to put together, but it seems they have helped a number of other members. Makes it all worth it.
Sponsored