Sponsored

Accident - Insurance Proceeds Question

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I was recently involved in an accident in my JL that was not my fault. The other driver's insurance has estimated $2,300 damage to my JLUR. Predominantly, the only damage I have is the front bumper, grill and scratches on the fenders. I still owe on my JL so they want to write a check to the repair shop directly or to me and the repair shop. Long winded question is that I would like to use as much of these funds as possible to upgrade if possible. What are my options? Thanks!
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Fix the Jeep dont upgrade with repair funds.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Very little options in Florida at least. It is usually made out to both just as you said.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Don’t forget to push for diminished value, the accident will show up on the Carfax and thus reduce the Jeep’s value.

OP
OP
jeepin

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t forget to push for diminished value, the accident will show up on the Carfax and thus reduce the Jeep’s value.
How do you do that?

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
You can't have the check made out to you?
Its got to do with rules for financed vehicles. You sign promising to keep physical damage insurance.
If it was made out to individual, they may just cash check and let vehicle go back.

OP
OP
jeepin

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fix the Jeep dont upgrade with repair funds.
Looks like my route but is pretty dumb to replace a stock plastic bumper for $300+ if it were possible to legally allocate in a different manner.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Have your shop put bumper of your choice on, pay the difference.
This is your answer. Bank only wants guarantee the damage to your collateral is repaired, value maintained. They're unlikely to care if you replace OEM with more valuable aftermarket replacements.

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
This is your answer. Bank only wants guarantee the damage to your collateral is repaired, value maintained. They're unlikely to care if you replace OEM with more valuable aftermarket replacements.
Correct!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Have your shop put bumper of your choice on, pay the difference.
this is the best way. you could ask them to install the Mopar Steel bumper. if its the front bumper I recommend the Rampage Rage front bumper 229.99 (P/N 99306) from quadratec right now and its good for up to a 10K winch. as long as you get a shop willing to work with you once they get the ok to fix the jeep you should be just fine.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
-Diminished Value-
This is a HUGE issue!

I think Georgia has a pre-determined lost value assignment as a reference point.

I've heard dealers say that a "Reported" accident is something like an automatic 20% loss in resale value?

Getting a check made out to you also directly relieves the insurance company of any "supplemental" (unseen) damage after the initial appraisal and before a tear-down to repair it.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Getting a check made out to you also directly relieves the insurance company of any "supplemental" (unseen) damage after the initial appraisal and before a tear-down to repair it.
This is not true, unless you've signed a release, which would be the other guy's insurance. If using your policy you have a contract, there will be no release, they'll cover hidden damage if found after the fact. This is quite common.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
This is not true, unless you've signed a release, which would be the other guy's insurance. If using your policy you have a contract, there will be no release, they'll cover hidden damage if found after the fact. This is quite common.
You are correct, but if you get a check made out directly to you (not the body shop), then there is a sign off release on the back of that check.

I've had personal experience to back that statement up.
Sponsored