AC not cold when Stationary?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Since day 1 I felt the AC was not as cold as my 2018 JL. Today I was waiting for my gf and sitting at the parking lot and definitely felt the AC was just cool, not cold at all. I have ceramic window film all around including windshield, sitting under the sun at only 85 Fahrenheit, MAX AC wouldn’t even cool the cabin???
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Make sure the recirculation button is on also! It helps a lot ...

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it’s recirculating I’m just trying to see if this is a 392 specific issue due to large amount of heat generated and lack of air flow at stationary…dealer is busy and my experience with FCA dealer is they usually creates more problem…

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
If it works better when moving at a decent speed. Could be a coolant leak or something.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Since day 1 I felt the AC was not as cold as my 2018 JL. Today I was waiting for my gf and sitting at the parking lot and definitely felt the AC was just cool, not cold at all. I have ceramic window film all around including windshield, sitting under the sun at only 85 Fahrenheit, MAX AC wouldn’t even cool the cabin???
I have the same issue in my eco-diesel also. When your moving it works great, stopped and its just cool.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I have the same issue in my eco-diesel also. When your moving it works great, stopped and its just cool.
Same. I guess mine's not terrible when parked, but it's definitely colder when moving.

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
Yes it’s recirculating I’m just trying to see if this is a 392 specific issue due to large amount of heat generated and lack of air flow at stationary…dealer is busy and my experience with FCA dealer is they usually creates more problem…
It’s not a 392 problem. AC units need air moving over the condenser to work, more air flow = more heat exchanged = cooler air output. Plus at low RPM the system is not moving the refrigerant as much. Add them together and you have a system that can’t keep up with the high outside temps.
You can try increasing RPM to see if the extra refrigerant circulation helps. Just a test, sitting at a red light or a parking lot revving your 392 is gonna send a different message.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not a 392 problem. AC units need air moving over the condenser to work, more air flow = more heat exchanged = cooler air output. Plus at low RPM the system is not moving the refrigerant as much. Add them together and you have a system that can’t keep up with the high outside temps.
You can try increasing RPM to see if the extra refrigerant circulation helps. Just a test, sitting at a red light or a parking lot revving your 392 is gonna send a different message.
I totally agree with you. While my 3.6 is freezing cold at idle under the sun at 100 F. Just wondering if’s a 392/diesel thing.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
You could use the high idle “winch mode” feature of the tazer mini if your going to be parked often.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The newer ac units work well sitting still. The condenser/radiator fan pulls plenty of air. More so than ram air. I have 2 AC repair facilities. Yes it is more efficient at highway speeds like you referred, but still more than capable at idle.

My 392 works very well at idle. On a hot, 95+ day after sitting in the sun it cools down quickly and has no problem keeping the interior cool.

Mike, get yours checked. Something wrong with it. Mine works every bit as well as my 20 JL 2.0 did which was way good also.

Sam