Sponsored

8 speed auto questions?

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
The ZF8 Chrysler has been
To reiterate though (and maybe counter all the superlatives), it is still an automatic and unless you really use the manual mode it's not going to predict your intentions as well as you can with a manual. Overtaking on two-lane highway is much better in manual mode, or with a manual transmission.
The 8 speed auto in the JL is not even comparable to the JK....it's a MUCH better transmission in every imaginable way.

That being said I somewhat disagree that overtaking on a 2 lane HWY is better with a manual. In less than the time it takes to think about what gear you're in and what gear you want to shift to, depressing the clutch pedal, moving the shifter to selected gear, releasing clutch pedal (while rev matching with the throttle, because you're no doubt a pro), you could just mash the pedal to the floor and have the auto select the proper passing gear...even if it means skipping one to land in the optimum RPM range.

I've driven both manuals and autos over the years, and I "get it" when people like manuals...but this is a Jeep and for its designed use I feel that the auto is a better choice in all situations.

Reading through pages of reviews, I think the conclusion that most will come to, is that the current 8 speed is one of the best autos, while the manual in the Jeep is not one of the best manual transmissions available.
Sponsored

Enfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Willys
That being said I somewhat disagree that overtaking on a 2 lane HWY is better with a manual. In less than the time it takes to think about what gear you're in and what gear you want to shift to, depressing the clutch pedal, moving the shifter to selected gear, releasing clutch pedal (while rev matching with the throttle, because you're no doubt a pro), you could just mash the pedal to the floor and have the auto select the proper passing gear...even if it means skipping one to land in the optimum RPM range.
On a two lane highway you should be in the right gear before you even pull out to pass. Downshift before your opening to pass. It doesn't have to be complicated or involve any drama pinning the throttle to the floor. Lets please not pretend you have to be Ayrton Senna to downshift from 5->3 while moving.

Think about getting stuck behind an RV or semi going up a two-lane mountain highway and your passing zones are only 300-500m long (common here in the Rockies). On an auto you've got a degree of separation just because you have to wait for the transmission to react to your mashing the throttle. Being able manually select a gear in advance gives significantly more driver confidence than having any delay waiting for the transmission to react or any uncertainty about exactly which gear the transmission is going to select vs. your throttle input.

Obviously the intelligent thing to do in that situation would be to just shift your auto into manual. Pinning the gas and slingshotting your Wrangler into a lane of oncoming traffic at 100mph pisses off passengers in my experience.

In any case, I'm not attacking the ZF-8, I'm just trying to provide a counter example to all the comments saying that the ZF-8 is just magically in the right gear all the time and has never has any delay at all. It is a phenomenal automatic transmission but it is still an automatic. If you don't like automatics, don't let people convince you that you're wrong for buying a manual.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The 5 speed in our JKR, is a great HD reliable trans, but I like the 8 speed in our JLR better.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
8HP75 with the 392. It's smooth and seems to run cool. I typically use the paddles.
It feels like it'd be the last thing to break, honestly.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Went begrudgingly from the 6 sp 3.6l manual to the automatic in my 392. Once I realized that just blipping the throttle causes the downshift I find it very nice to have. I do use manual mode going down 6+% grades but that is only to keep the brakes cool

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Went begrudgingly from the 6 sp 3.6l manual to the automatic in my 392. Once I realized that just blipping the throttle causes the downshift I find it very nice to have. I do use manual mode going down 6+% grades but that is only to keep the brakes cool
I do the same thing--decelerating and disabling cylinder deactivation is pretty much why I use the paddles.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I do the same thing--decelerating and disabling cylinder deactivation is pretty much why I use the paddles.
Just so you know using the shifter takes the lag out that you get using the paddles
Sponsored