8 Speed Auto gearbox

Jay531

First Name
Jade Hill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU, Nissan Xterra
Hey, just a quick question regarding the Jeep JL. It has a 8speed gearbox. When should the car go into the 8th gear? When I drive it at about 120kmh down the highway it stays in 7th and only goes into 8th when I’m going at approx 100kms. It has 33” tires and a lift and I have not done the re calibration to the Speedo as I was told there’s no need unless I go for bigger tires. Just really trying to understand the 8th gear as it seems pretty pointless if it only engages in a slightly lower, constant speed. Sorry if it’s a stupid question or one that has been asked before
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
It your jeep didn't come with 33" tires then your speedo, shift points, ABS, Traction control and maybe a few other things are not working optimally. The auto 8 speed also has adaptive learning. If you drive aggressively the shift points will gradually adjust to higher rpm's. (effectively keeping it out of 8th) If you drive like a granny it will gradually lower the shift points. If you pull the tran control module fuse for a few minutes then re install it, it will reset to default..........then drive like a granny until you get up to highway speed and see what it does...........Guys over in the Challenger forum have learned this to wake up your performance after commuting in stop and go traffic for a month. Reseting and driving like a race car driver does the trick and makes it feel like a new tune up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jay531

First Name
Jade Hill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU, Nissan Xterra
Thank you for that, I’ll look into getting it calibrated then. I tend to race until I’m at the desired speed then let cruise control do the rest. Thanks again
Sponsored