7 to 8.4 screen

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Did you get a Turbo? I know those have gone into built recently. What’s your specs?
No, the small turbo/hybrid is of great interest to me because of the better low end torque and the whole idea of recovering power from deceleration. But I don't trust their implementation of it until they've proven they've gotten the kinks out.
My order is: Punk'n, 3.6 L, 4dr, dual tops, Alpine, limited slip, heated seats. Thinking of adding side steps; right now Rockhard 4x4 is in the mental lead. I may have them angle the tubes down instead of up. It won't look as clean, but it'll function better as a step.
Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Yes the 7" has ucconect but not navigation, Thats what I dont like about the 7

Sponsored

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2014 JKU Sahara 2004 Dodge Viper
If we switch to the 8.4, do we get navigation? I currently have the 7.
That I'm not sure of, I believe you would just need to have the dealership activate the gps after install...you may also need to install a Uconnect GPS antenna(about $40)

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not a jl
oh no...gee...I didn't notice it was a challenger(HEAVY sarcasm). All of the wires and plugs for the uconnect in the JL are shared throughout FCA(vehicles equipped with uconnect), EVEN the 5" Uconnect 3 standard in the sport and sport S. The video i shared still applies. Obviously the removal process is different, you must first remove the climate control/radio control/start button panel, giving you access to two philip head screws holding the radio bezel...then pop the bezel off to get to the 4 screws holing in the uconnect unit. The rest is self-explanatory.

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to save everyone a little time by saying Infotainment.com doesn't have the systems for the JL yet.

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
not going with the bigger screen is a small regret I have. the trim piece that compensates for the smaller screen is a bit of an eyesore.
I have this regret as well. I was originally planning to get the infotainment package, as the Alpine sound system was a must have for me. Found a Jeep that had all the packages I wanted, including the Alpine sound system, but it had the 7" screen. I decided that wasn't a deal breaker, but in retrospect I wish I had gotten the 8.4". I called the parts department at the dealership to see if I could upgrade to the 8.4" and was told I could not. So now I'm looking through the forum to see if others have been able to.

Sponsored

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I have this regret as well. I was originally planning to get the infotainment package, as the Alpine sound system was a must have for me. Found a Jeep that had all the packages I wanted, including the Alpine sound system, but it had the 7" screen. I decided that wasn't a deal breaker, but in retrospect I wish I had gotten the 8.4". I called the parts department at the dealership to see if I could upgrade to the 8.4" and was told I could not. So now I'm looking through the forum to see if others have been able to.
Someone on the forum has gone from a 5in to a 7in so I don't see why you can't go from 7in to 8.4.

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
You can put the 8.4 in anything, I believe it also uses the same surround trim as the 5” touchscreen. If you upgrade from the 7” to 8.4” you can also unlock navigation without any additional wires or antennas. A dealer will have to flash the computer to access heated seats/aux switches if you have them on your JL. And you will need to buy the 8.4 screen from a rubicon/Sahara with the same creature comfort options as you have on your JL.

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know it can be done! My hope is that the 8.4" will soon be available for purchase.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more curious on whether the car can still be used if the radio was broken or had been stolen. I don't like the concept of tying everything into a proprietary touch screen system. My wife had a car once that had a touch screen that was used for pretty much everything. Changing the temperature for the air-conditioning or the fan speed was a multi-menu operation. Totally braindead from a safety and ergonomics standpoint as far as I was concerned since the driver had to take their eyes off the road to search for the right menu options on the multiple screens to finally get to the control needed. Discrete switches and controls that stick out from the panel are better in that once you get used to where they are, you can change them without ever looking at the panel. Switches and controls that are flush mounted to the panel make it more difficult to hit the right one without looking, but it's still better than the fully touch screen systems.

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
Good to know it can be done! My hope is that the 8.4" will soon be available for purchase.
What i did was walk my dealers lot, found a Sahara with cold weather group, and trailer package (with aux switches) and brought the vin to parts dept, looked up the replacement 8.4 radio, it’s 1495, plus 500 to unlock nav. 3-4 weeks out and I’ll have nav in my sport with an 8.4 inch screen
Sponsored