Sponsored

6spd flash intalled

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
Did it auto-flash overnight or did you have to take it to the dealer for this?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Did it auto-flash overnight or did you have to take it to the dealer for this?
It is a recall and it must be flashed at the dealership. It also senses overslippage of the clutch and will put the engine in a low power limp home mode if the clutch is overheated. That's a good safety feature!

I've lived with this for months now and the only difference you'll know is the indicator on the dash, unless your clutch develops a slippage problem or if someone is driving it who is abusing your clutch in a bad way.

But I really like having that indicator on there, and my wife especially likes it. She's always worried about accidentally putting it in reverse (due to the proximity to 1st gear), so she appreciates the confirmation the indicator provides.

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
Had my 18JL 6 spd flashed today. Now the display shows which gear you are in.

Jeep Wrangler JL 6spd flash intalled 20211005_134237
I had to take my 2020 Rubicon in for the same recall and noticed this to which is neat, but I have sold my Rubicon are Willys went in to for the same recall as well which we still have

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Not all Jeeps have the gear sensor apparently. My 2020 JLUR got this flash and the gear indicator doesn't appear, and isn't an option in the menu.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not all Jeeps have the gear sensor apparently. My 2020 JLUR got this flash and the gear indicator doesn't appear, and isn't an option in the menu.
The flash either wasn't done or it didn't take. The indicator is not optional. I'd go right back to that dealer and make them do it right. If the indicator isn't there, the flash isn't there.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup same as JDJL , I also had this recall done and did not get the gear indicator in the screen. To be honest I haven't checked the menu's tho to see if there is an option.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
The flash either wasn't done or it didn't take. The indicator is not optional. I'd go right back to that dealer and make them do it right. If the indicator isn't there, the flash isn't there.
Damn! It's funny I was thinking .....that was easy! I went onto the Mopar site and checked my info on my Rig to make sure it was done after realizing the gear indicator wasn't showing( I had been following the thread) and the site even said recall was done. So now I gotta make another appointment.........Damn!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn! It's funny I was thinking .....that was easy! I went onto the Mopar site and checked my info on my Rig to make sure it was done after realizing the gear indicator wasn't showing( I had been following the thread) and the site even said recall was done. So now I gotta make another appointment.........Damn!
There is a process that @Rhinebeck01 can detail on how exactly the update is done. My best guess is that they either never hooked it up, with dealer personnel assuming it had been done and returning it to you, or there was something that went wrong with the update process that they did not notice, while neglecting to look at the final report on the computer or printout.

But either way, if you don't have the indicator, then the update is not present. To my knowledge, there is no option as to whether to show the gear display, or not. If someone finds that, let us know. But I'd go back to that dealer to make them do it again. At a minimum, the default is to show the display. I've combed through the menus and have not seen that option. So I'm betting the update simply is not there.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
There is a process that @Rhinebeck01 can detail on how exactly the update is done. My best guess is that they either never hooked it up, with dealer personnel assuming it had been done and returning it to you, or there was something that went wrong with the update process that they did not notice, while neglecting to look at the final report on the computer or printout.

But either way, if you don't have the indicator, then the update is not present. To my knowledge, there is no option as to whether to show the gear display, or not. If someone finds that, let us know. But I'd go back to that dealer to make them do it again. At a minimum, the default is to show the display. I've combed through the menus and have not seen that option. So I'm betting the update simply is not there.
It's located on page 134 of the 2020 owner's manual, but it starts on page 133. It's called "Current Gear - if equipped." See below.

Jeep Wrangler JL 6spd flash intalled Page133

Jeep Wrangler JL 6spd flash intalled Page134

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's located on page 134 of the 2020 owner's manual, but it starts on page 133. It's called "Current Gear - if equipped." See below.

Page133.jpg

Page134.jpg
Ok, so this makes it appear it can be turned on and off. But default is still "on" so I'd check the menu to see if it is there. If so, you likely have the update and should be able to turn it on. @Rico1111 If not, then the update isn't present. Hopefully you'll find it and it will save you a trip back to the dealer.

Last edited:

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

The owner's manual reference is for automatic transmissions.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
The owner's manual reference is for automatic transmissions.
So there's no way to turn it on/off for manual transmissions? Have you confirmed this?

If this is the case, and the gear display for manual transmissions is "always on" after the Y07 clutch recall software update, @JeepCares or the dealer should be able to confirm that the recall didn't install correctly just by looking at the lack of gear display. Correct?
Sponsored