Sponsored

6sp MT - difficult shifting after clutch install

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Considering there are several TSB's / fixes for the stock clutch there is something wrong from the factory - at least for some. For me, it would slip/burn frequently. I've driven manuals for 30 years, so not user error. I received a TSB that there was risk that this could cause a fire - but no fix was in place at the time. Given I have kids, I wasn't ok with a possible fire with no fix.

Google Jeep JL MT fire - you'll see several of them. Later, as I understand, they relocated some lines and would 'detune' the motor in the event of overheating.
Can you please link a single TSB? There was a recall for pressure plate overheating. Which is what you’re probably trying to state. A slipping clutch is obviously a problem and I doubt when/if you took it in the dealership they threw up their hands and said “must need and aftermarket clutch”. Lol
For what it worth, I think some of the overheating issues and slipping problems are effects of the hill assist bugging out. The mechanical is either functional or broken, electrical can be finicky and destructive to mechanics
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
$2600 for install! I had my CF2 installed at a local tranny shop in October for $800...
Who did you have install your clutch? We’re you happy with their work? I know you had mentioned taking it back to NY to have it done… so I am assuming you had it done in NH.

ski-line900

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Willy's Sport
Thanks all for your input on this. Update: I stopped by the shop and they showed me that the shifter cables appear to be out of alignment. You can partially see this in the photo, but it’s tough to see. So I called Centerforce and they said during their R&D they didn’t remove the tranny when putting the clutch in but they’d heard some people had issues with the cables after doing so. Pretty sure that’s what happened with my install. Centerforce sent me the attached procedure they got their hands on from Mopar for adjusting the cables. Seems to be a fairly simple fix. Posting these instructions here for others who might need them. Will provide an update on whether this fixes my issue, which it appears it should.

07009910-A730-4974-8526-AD7B244850B3.jpeg
Has anyone done this adjustment? I occasionally have a little bit of notchiness when upshifting to 2nd or 3rd after replacing clutch with aftermarket. I did not remove the shift bracket on the transmission or unhook the cables at either end.

Seems like an easy enough thing to reset and see if I can't get smooth shifts consistently.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone done this adjustment? I occasionally have a little bit of notchiness when upshifting to 2nd or 3rd after replacing clutch with aftermarket. I did not remove the shift bracket on the transmission or unhook the cables at either end.

Seems like an easy enough thing to reset and see if I can't get smooth shifts consistently.
First time I swapped my clutch I did disconnect everything. Other times I've just slid the transmission back. I did the procedure one time and my cables were still in alignment 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

ski-line900

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Willy's Sport
First time I swapped my clutch I did disconnect everything. Other times I've just slid the transmission back. I did the procedure one time and my cables were still in alignment 🤷‍♂️
The two instructions aren't quite the same. Can you confirm what the process is?
Seems to be a bit different in the two docs:

1. Put shifter in 3rd, let it self center. Release the adjuster and then lock the adjuster.

2. Release adjuster. Put in 3rd and hold forward. Lock the adjuster.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The two instructions aren't quite the same. Can you confirm what the process is?
Seems to be a bit different in the two docs:

1. Put shifter in 3rd, let it self center. Release the adjuster and then lock the adjuster.

2. Release adjuster. Put in 3rd and hold forward. Lock the adjuster.
These were the directions I followed 🤷‍♂️

Jeep Wrangler JL 6sp MT - difficult shifting after clutch install 1696451147720