First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Let's say you wanted to just keep the stock 8 speed and you had a regular v6 (so no 48v or BSG). How much would this swap really cost? I can't see why it would cost more than $10k and you'd get a couple grand out of selling the v6 potentially so it makes it a lot more tempting. Looking forward to someone doing a swap with a new crate 5.7 and keeping the stock trans and seeing what the total cost ends up being.
Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Im guessing you have a type and meant to say regular v8?

I believe that the main issue with your idea is that the 8HP50 found in the JL is only rated for 368 tq. The 5.7 makes 425 tq so you are quite a bit outside the safe range.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Im guessing you have a type and meant to say regular v8?

I believe that the main issue with your idea is that the 8HP50 found in the JL is only rated for 368 tq. The 5.7 makes 425 tq so you are quite a bit outside the safe range.
I’m not 100% sure about this but I thought those guys doing the hemi swaps (bruiser conversions etc.) were using the stock 8spd transmission even with the 6.4L also the the stock 6spd manual was used in a hemi on one of them.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I’m not 100% sure about this but I thought those guys doing the hemi swaps (bruiser conversions etc.) were using the stock 8spd transmission even with the 6.4L also the the stock 6spd manual was used in a hemi on one of them.
Bruiser is the only one that I know of that uses the factory trans in their swaps. I believe all others come with a new transmission. I went over to their site where it says "The ZF Torqueflite 8 speed automatic transmission, when equipped in the JL Wrangler, has a rated input torque capacity of 561 ft-lb." According to Wikipedia (I know not the most credible source but still pretty good), the 850re in the JL is the same as an 8hp50 which is only rated to 368 ft-lb (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission#Chrysler)

Im not sure what Bruiser's reasoning is but personally considering the 8hp50 isnt found behind a single OEM v8 would trouble me.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Dakota Customs also uses factory transmission even the manuals but with an upgraded clutch.
Sponsored