Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
Greetings all.
Seeing as the wait for the eco diesel is seemingly endless, and slowly killing me, I decided to investigate the possibilities of a diesel swap. Bruiser, and the other big names, have nothing for the jl (as far as diesel goes) thus far. My inquiries are primarily this;
1) What engines would be the most feasible?
2) Would I be able to keep the stock transmission, or atleast trade up to an upgraded version.

I'd really love to cram a cummins 5.9 or similar, but I know that would be a fairly large undertaking.

Penny for your thoughts, folks.
Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
5.9 would be an undertaking indeed. It has been done at least once on JKs but it was a manufacturer vehicle and had some limitations in my opinion. A stock JL frame wasnt designed for that level of torque. It wasnt an integration of the factory electronics either. Custom dash etc...

Axis industries has a JK swap using the Cummins 2.8 repower diesel and an 8hp70 I believe. Maybe they will make a JL version but its going to be doubtful once the diesel is released.

Ultimately I dont think there will be much aftermarket support because Jeep will be offering a diesel themselves so the market will be small.

Your cheapest option really might be to trade yours in for a diesel once they are released.

OP
OP
OilBurnerHoldOut

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I've seen three different manufacturers with 5.9 Jk builds, and a handful of personal builds.
Isn't there more room under the hood of the jl? Atleast height wise? I think the hardest part would be the electronics.
I can't find any decent salvage JLUs in my area at the moment anyway. The cummins 5.0 v8 would probably fit better, but I just love a good I6. :involve::rock:

greek_fire

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel JLU, Polestare 2
I bought a farout edition and it is beautiful. One day, when I blow the engine, I want to put I6 diesel in it. But, I feel like I should buy it now. I am worried that all ICE will be gone in ten years...

CarmeloS

First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Equinox
I've seen three different manufacturers with 5.9 Jk builds, and a handful of personal builds.
Isn't there more room under the hood of the jl? Atleast height wise? I think the hardest part would be the electronics.
I can't find any decent salvage JLUs in my area at the moment anyway. The cummins 5.0 v8 would probably fit better, but I just love a good I6. :involve::rock:
I assume the weight alone would make it too nose heavy, but again, just assuming it’d be too heavy

a trade would be solid, and if you live somewhere without emissions testing, gutting it and then tuning it to capitalize on the new gains would be your best bet, so long as you kept your mouth shut about it as well

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

could do a cummins r2.8. would be a little low on power imo

i want to do a 3.0 eco diesel into my 2door jlrn 6mt. that would be baller