Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe vs. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 | Quick Comparison
When Wrangler battles Wrangler, the winner is you

Via Autoblog.com

2021 has been a good model year for the Jeep Wrangler. Over the past twelve months, we've seen the introduction of both the V8-powered Rubicon 392 and the plug-in hybrid 4xe. Rewind 10 years and imagine how you would have felt if somebody even suggested a comparison between a plug-in hybrid and a V8 truck or 4x4, but here we are, and it actually makes a good deal of sense. They're both new, they're both quite powerful and quite capable. But which one is better? Let's take a look.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison IMG_7360

Let's start off with the challenger (small c): the 4xe. On the plus side, you get 22 miles of 100% electric range thanks to that 17kWh battery pack, which qualifies it for the full $7,500 federal EV Tax credit. That battery juices a powertrain with a total system output of 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, which makes it the second-most-powerful Wrangleroffered from the factory (and tied for first in torque). The 4xe powertrain is available on the Sahara, Rubicon and High Altitude trims, which gives you several choices in both equipment and budget. Good start.

In the negative column, the 4xe loses virtually all of its efficiency benefits when you cruise long distances on the highway, and the turbocharged gasoline engine is pretty uninspiring when it's saddled with doing all of the work. Run the battery down and the 4xe becomes little more than an extra-heavy Rubicon 2.0T in the efficiency department. That's not great.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison 2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-171

With the 392, you get 470 hp to go with your 470 lb-ft of torque, it makes amazing noises, and it's a good bit quicker than anything else in the Wrangler lineup. Jeep says it'll do 0-60 in just 4.5 seconds (vs. nearly 6.0 for the 4xe) on the way to its 99-mph top speed. It also has a fancy, hood-mounted induction system that allows it to ford more water than any other Rubicon variant, and gets a functional hood scoop to go with it.

Cons? Well, there's that 99-mph top speed, which seems like a miss for a V8 model that can really only take advantage of that power in a straight line. It also gets miserably bad fuel economy, costs a fortune ($75k and up) and is only available as a Rubicon model.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison JP021_452WRiev5nmd864nesep2iaeuqqjkce
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison 3053ef00-eec0-11ea-befc-da4d724171bf

So, while I'm trying to convince you that the two are worth comparing, the reality as that they are two very different Jeeps for very different buyers. The Rubicon 392 is the apex Jeep; the one you buy to show off your superfan status. It's big, tall, loud and proud — a signal that the owner embraces a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption but with a folksy, blue-collar vibe. On the road the 4xe is the better all-around package. It feels more car-like than the 392 since it carries less weight in the nose, and it rides more like a regular Rubicon — bumpy, for sure, but more tolerable than the harsher 392. Sure, you're giving up speed and that glorious V8 howl, but they come at a hefty premium.

The 2021 Wrangler 4xe is the do-anything Wrangler. It demonstrates all of the flexibility that makes Jeep's iconic off-roader so endearing while simultaneously offering an added layer of practicality for a far more reasonable up-front premium. For $25k less than the Rubicon 392, you can walk away with a Sahara 4xe and a $7,500 tax credit, and if your commute is short enough, you may never pay a dime for gas. The future is here, and it's pretty darned good, which is not-so-coincidentally how I feel about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe. I called it the best all-around Wrangler money can buy, after all, and hopefully this rundown helped explain why.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys

2021 has been a good model year for the Jeep Wrangler. Over the past twelve months, we've seen the introduction of both the V8-powered Rubicon 392 and the plug-in hybrid 4xe. Rewind 10 years and imagine how you would have felt if somebody even suggested a comparison between a plug-in hybrid and a V8 truck or 4x4, but here we are, and it actually makes a good deal of sense. They're both new, they're both quite powerful and quite capable. But which one is better? Let's take a look.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison 3053ef00-eec0-11ea-befc-da4d724171bf

Let's start off with the challenger (small c): the 4xe. On the plus side, you get 22 miles of 100% electric range thanks to that 17kWh battery pack, which qualifies it for the full $7,500 federal EV Tax credit. That battery juices a powertrain with a total system output of 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, which makes it the second-most-powerful Wrangleroffered from the factory (and tied for first in torque). The 4xe powertrain is available on the Sahara, Rubicon and High Altitude trims, which gives you several choices in both equipment and budget. Good start.

In the negative column, the 4xe loses virtually all of its efficiency benefits when you cruise long distances on the highway, and the turbocharged gasoline engine is pretty uninspiring when it's saddled with doing all of the work. Run the battery down and the 4xe becomes little more than an extra-heavy Rubicon 2.0T in the efficiency department. That's not great.

With the 392, you get 470 hp to go with your 470 lb-ft of torque, it makes amazing noises, and it's a good bit quicker than anything else in the Wrangler lineup. Jeep says it'll do 0-60 in just 4.5 seconds (vs. nearly 6.0 for the 4xe) on the way to its 99-mph top speed. It also has a fancy, hood-mounted induction system that allows it to ford more water than any other Rubicon variant, and gets a functional hood scoop to go with it.

Cons? Well, there's that 99-mph top speed, which seems like a miss for a V8 model that can really only take advantage of that power in a straight line. It also gets miserably bad fuel economy, costs a fortune ($75k and up) and is only available as a Rubicon model.

So, while I'm trying to convince you that the two are worth comparing, the reality as that they are two very different Jeeps for very different buyers. The Rubicon 392 is the apex Jeep; the one you buy to show off your superfan status. It's big, tall, loud and proud — a signal that the owner embraces a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption but with a folksy, blue-collar vibe. On the road the 4xe is the better all-around package. It feels more car-like than the 392 since it carries less weight in the nose, and it rides more like a regular Rubicon — bumpy, for sure, but more tolerable than the harsher 392. Sure, you're giving up speed and that glorious V8 howl, but they come at a hefty premium.

The 2021 Wrangler 4xe is the do-anything Wrangler. It demonstrates all of the flexibility that makes Jeep's iconic off-roader so endearing while simultaneously offering an added layer of practicality for a far more reasonable up-front premium. For $25k less than the Rubicon 392, you can walk away with a Sahara 4xe and a $7,500 tax credit, and if your commute is short enough, you may never pay a dime for gas. The future is here, and it's pretty darned good, which is not-so-coincidentally how I feel about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe. I called it the best all-around Wrangler money can buy, after all, and hopefully this rundown helped explain why.
First I agree on the Hemi for 75k 99 mph is an insult. The gas mileage is to be expected you don't buy a Hemi anything for good gas mileage.
Now to the 4xe the all electric range in this day and age is disappointing I would have expected better.
The same for me holds for the highway mpg and performance.
I just see the 4xe as Jeep's version of a Prius.
I'm either getting the diesel for distance and the torque or the six for reliability and reasonable all around usability.
My wife and I bought the JLU Willys which for our use case is perfect.
Some highway along with in town.
Even with the $7,500.00 rebate the final deal was slightly less and no special worries about a new drivetrain from Jeep.
One last thought if the electric range was 30 miles or somewhat more it then makes sense.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

Via Autoblog.com

Good post I must say. How do you think the Diesel fares versus the 4xe and the 392?

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
How can a hybrid in this day and age only give you 22 miles of electric range? That seems just so damn poor.
I don't know, why don't you ask the same question to the following other automakers who also have 2021 model year plug-in hybrid vehicles that have less than or equal to 22 miles of pure electric range (according to the EPA): Audi, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Lincoln, Porsche, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Volvo.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How can a hybrid in this day and age only give you 22 miles of electric range? That seems just so damn poor.
Blame 32-inch tires, 5,000 lbs of curb weight, and all the aerodynamics of a wall.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
What's the top speed of the 4xe or any other Jeep?
Is that 99MPH specific to the 392? if it isn't then its a design issue with the platform and not a negative for the 392 only so it shouldn't be in the negative column.
I don't know the specifics of the 4xe's hybrid programming but if it works like i hope it would the battery should never discharge unless you push the button for all battery use. the battery should be ready at all times for an acceleration boost and then get recharged by the engine and braking. just driving 500 miles should make no difference. If that is also true you can remove the "No battery, anemic acceleration" negative from the 4xe cloumn.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Because its only a plug in hybrid and not a full electric. Were you expecting 330 miles of full EV range and then the gas engine takes over? The batteries required for that would make the Jeep weigh as much as a Ram 2500...

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Because its only a plug in hybrid and not a full electric. Were you expecting 330 miles of full EV range and then the gas engine takes over? The batteries required for that would make the Jeep weigh as much as a Ram 2500...
I don't know what # of miles i would expect, but the plug-in technology has been around for over 10 years (Volt came out in 2010) and thought in that time there would have been greater advances in technology.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what # of miles i would expect, but the plug-in technology has been around for over 10 years (Volt came out in 2010) and thought in that time there would have been greater advances in technology.
The Volt is an EV with a range extender whereas the 4Xe is a Hybrid with big battery and the capability to charge off of the grid. Different methods of propulsion.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Frankly, I don’t see any “advantage” to either platform ( unless you daily commute is <18 miles or so, in which case you’d be gas free during the week). The Hemi is grossly overpriced and you’re paying for tons of power you’ll never use, it’ll burn a ton of fuel and your insurance man is gonna love you. The hybrid is pricey but the tax credit offsets some of that, however it also adds a ton of complexity for little reward (save that previously noted). I think I’ll just stay where I’m at thank you. YMMV

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
lol i wasn't prepared to click this thread and see the face of one of my absolute best friends in the video thumbnail

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Daily Drive with a long commute - Get the Diesel
Daily Drive with a short commute - Get the 4Xe
Weekend Toy - 392

something more affordable? 3.6 and 2.0 lol

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Daily Drive with a long commute - Get the Diesel
Daily Drive with a short commute - Get the 4Xe
Weekend Toy - 392

something more affordable? 3.6 and 2.0 lol
This lol Sums it up nicely. Nice to see Jeep have a bunch of options for differing needs of its drivers. I have 4XE needs with 392 desires but 2.0 is #1.
Sponsored