First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I think it has to do with the gear ratios and how that affects the automatic clutch disengaging when you take your foot off the brake.

Reverse is very close to 2nd gear:
TRANSMISSION: 850RE AUTOMATIC, EIGHT-SPEED OVERDRIVE
  • Availability: Standard — 2.0-liter I-4; Optional — 3.6-liter V-6
  • Description: Adaptive electronic control or Electronic Range Select (ERS) driver-interactive manual control and electronically modulated torque converter clutch
  • Gear Ratios:
    • 1st - 4.71
    • 2nd - 3.13
    • 3rd - 2.10
    • 4th - 1.67
    • 5th - 1.28
    • 6th - 1.00
    • 7th - 0.84
    • 8th - 0.67
    • Reverse - 3.53

I park in my driveway with a slight incline backwards (back up the driveway). I noticed that when I am parked (pulling in forward) and put it in D and let my foot off the brake, the Rubicon idles up the hill. In reverse, it will idle and not move up the hill. You have to get on the gas, to get it to move. More than you'd expect. I think this is causing you to rev up to high to fast in reverse and then the clutch finally disengages and you spin the tires. As soon as you spin the tires, everything changes in Snow. You are now dealing with a mix of part snow and part ice (slush). experiment over...

In drive, you'll idle up or the clutch disengages smoother (ie - more fluid dynamics than plate on plate friction)...

This is just a guess, would need to do some testing of my own, but its the only thing that makes sense to me.

The weight distribution (I think is 51/49 for unlimited?) would not be enough to impact the test in 4wd IMO.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Forgive me, was out of line your right
Even relatively smart people know which your vs. you’re to use, or how to spell Jupiter. Cracks me up that you self-proclaimed to be more intelligent than the rest of us, but can’t get the simple stuff right. Right.....

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Even relatively smart people know which your vs. you’re to use, or how to spell Jupiter. Cracks me up that you self-proclaimed to be more intelligent than the rest of us, but can’t get the simple stuff right. Right.....
I'm not relatively smart...

...nor do I take grammer that seriously on this forum.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I was trying to back up a driveway that had about 8 or 10 inches of fresh snow and got nowhere. Not in 4hi, 4lo and when I was totally stuck, even put my lockers on for sh*ts and giggles. Spun the Jeep around and, to keep it "somewhat" scientific, went to the other half of the driveway (with the same amount of virgin snow) and drove forward up the driveway in 4hi with no problem. Can someone educate me on what happened here? Both times I came to a complete stop before trying to go up the driveway.
I think its mostly balance , and possibly a bit more forward momentum.
Sponsored