Sponsored

4H Auto transfer case question

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I would think that cost wise this is a biggie. If you are getting the v6 with auto isn’t that like 3500. Then you have the select trac system as well. That’s gotta be a couple of grand more. So say 5500. Which might explain the 46 k window sticker on a another thread here. Just wil speculation on my part.

After watching that terra flex vid I wish jeep would have rolled back the clock and gone old school,with locking hubs. Plus it would have brought back the old time honored ritual of getting out at the trail head and locking your hubs before your adventure

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
I'm really curious about this system and exactly what it will be... Jeep (FCA) has been doing a lot of cool things with "full time 4WD" systems lately. Confusingly, they have LOTS of names for all these systems as well. Because the JL is still solid axles front and rear, I would expect something completely different than the approaches that are used on the IFS/IRS vehicles. This said, the verbiage that many are finding sure reads like it will perform similarly to them.

One thing is for sure... You have to throw away the concept of "primary drive wheels" on most of these systems. Today's "full time 4WD" vehicles are constantly moving power around (even on dry pavement). Any system that has an "auto" and not "2WD" can and will put power anywhere at anytime. (I'm sure there are rules but I haven't figured them out.) Our KL Cherokee Trailhawk is arguably front wheel drive primarily right???? Wrong, it's AWD all the time. In fact, in sport mode it biased power 30/70, (70 on the rear) to help with understeer.

Will the JL be this way??? I surely don't know, but I can see the average soccer mom loving them if they were.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
No evidence, just going by past practice on every Jeep that has ever had SelecTrac or something similar for the last three decades.
Not counting FWD based vehicles.

I’d love to be wrong in this case though, I’d probably get that configuration.
Yes if I get one I would also get that config. Its nice on slushy and partially snow covered roads to have select trac.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
That was the tamest Teraflex video I have ever seen. But I haven't watched any of their videos for several years. They were always very entertaining.

For me, I'm not interested in going back to manually locking hubs. They must help with mileage a little, but how much? Curious, Teraflex made no mileage improvement claims. So I have to think the front axle drive line is pretty efficient or we'd see some sort of highly rugged and reliable automatic locking system from Jeep to get mileage up. My .02.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What's the benefit of adding aftermarket locking hubs?

The only real benefit I've read is you can unlock the hub in case you damaged your front axle/driveshaft while offroading so you can drive home.

It seems to make sense to keep them unlocked for normal driving as to reduce wear and tear on the front drivetrain. Interesting that I've read unlocking hubs really don't help mpg.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
What's the benefit of adding aftermarket locking hubs?

The only real benefit I've read is you can unlock the hub in case you damaged your front axle/driveshaft while offroading so you can drive home.

It seems to make sense to keep them unlocked for normal driving as to reduce wear and tear on the front drivetrain. Interesting that I've read unlocking hubs really don't help mpg.
If you like getting out in the mud/slush/snow/whatever to lock, then later unlock the hubs, then by all mean get the manual locking hubs. :) e.g. traveling in the mountains (or where ever), encounter snowy conditions: option 1 with stock hubs: Shift into 4WD in the comfort of your Jeep and keep going, option 2 with manual locking hubs: Find a place to pull over, get out, walk through inclement weather to lock drivers side hub, then around to passenger side hub, get back in the Jeep, and merge into traffic. Repeat to unlock hubs when conditions no longer require 4WD (of course you could leave them locked until later). :) If you don't encounter bad weather and only rock crawl/overland then maybe they make sense.

I have seen no claims of improved MPG vs the stock hubs.

I think you nailed it, the only reason is "you can unlock the hub in case you damaged your front axle/driveshaft while offroading so you can drive home". Only you can determine how likely that might be based on how you use your Jeep.

My advice, spend your money elsewhere.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
If you like getting out in the mud/slush/snow/whatever to lock, then later unlock the hubs, then by all mean get the manual locking hubs. :) e.g. traveling in the mountains (or where ever), encounter snowy conditions: option 1 with stock hubs: Shift into 4WD in the comfort of your Jeep and keep going, option 2 with manual locking hubs: Find a place to pull over, get out, walk through inclement weather to lock drivers side hub, then around to passenger side hub, get back in the Jeep, and merge into traffic. Repeat to unlock hubs when conditions no longer require 4WD (of course you could leave them locked until later). :) If you don't encounter bad weather and only rock crawl/overland then maybe they make sense.

I have seen no claims of improved MPG vs the stock hubs.

I think you nailed it, the only reason is "you can unlock the hub in case you damaged your front axle/driveshaft while offroading so you can drive home". Only you can determine how likely that might be based on how you use your Jeep.

My advice, spend your money elsewhere.
Can you drive with your hubs locked while in 2 Hi and then shift into 4 Hi or 4 Lo when you need to?