Transfer Case Question

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Something very interesting happened to my 2021 JLUR today which I can only assume was due to the transfer case.

I was driving on some dirt roads in 4H and all was good and proper. At the end of the dirt road, I came to a full stop at a stop sign about 100ft after the dirt road became dry pavement. While fully stopped, I pushed the t-case lever fully back into 2H and felt the nice clunk and saw the dash indicator show “2H.” About 5 seconds later, I let go of the brake and started to make a tight left turn.

During the turn, my front-left tire began to skid and my Jeep began to hop, exactly as if I was still in 4H and my driveline was binding up.... This was even though I had just pushed the lever into 2H when I was still fully stationary at the stop sign.

Up to this point I assumed the JL transfer case lever is purely mechanical and not electrical at all, meaning there should be absolutely no delay when changing drive modes with the t-case lever.

Even if the Front Axle Disconnect had not yet disconnected, it is still an open differential and the transfer case should have surely disconnected the front driveshaft since I manually shifted the lever from 4H to 2H.

Can anyone explain why I experienced front tire skids during a sharp turn even though I had just pushed the lever fully into 2H?

thank you!
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
While the shift mechanism is mechanical it is spring loaded to a certain extent and while you did move the lever the internal meshing of the gears where too tight to release without the vehicle moving.
Make sense?

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
While the shift mechanism is mechanical it is spring loaded to a certain extent and while you did move the lever the internal meshing of the gears where too tight to release without the vehicle moving.
Make sense?
I wasn’t aware that the shift forks are spring loaded and are not directly connected to the shift cable on the nv241or. Thanks so much for the info.
Sponsored