3.6L V6 etorque sound

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Hey everyone, I was wondering if this is a normal sound of a 3.6L v6 with e-torque? it isn’t the best video, but anyone hear that helicopter like sound? Jeep is a ’22 JLUR XR with 400 miles. This is my first 3.6L v6 and I came from a 2.0L turbo. Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Sponsored

Tropikal

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
following

OP
OP

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
following
Do you have that soft knocking like a helicopter like sound too? I stopped by at my dealer yesterday and one of the service department personnel came out and listen. He said he could not tell where the soft knock was coming from, so he scheduled me for a complete diagnosis next week tuesday, September 13. I’ll be posting the updates here after.

Tropikal

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Do you have that soft knocking like a helicopter like sound too? I stopped by at my dealer yesterday and one of the service department personnel came out and listen. He said he could not tell where the soft knock was coming from, so he scheduled me for a complete diagnosis next week tuesday, September 13. I’ll be posting the updates here after.
Our 2018 JL never made that sound, we ordered a new 2023 with the same engine you have. I'm hoping that sound is not the "normal sound" of that engine, that would drive me nuts. (reason why I'm following the tread). Hopefully someone that has the same engine can chime in. Please keep us posted on the dealer findings.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I have a 2021 3.6 with eTorque and I haven’t noticed that sound on mine. I can hear the sound in your video. Reminds me of when I had a plastic bag stuck in the fan on my previous Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s driving me nuts, honestly! It’s my first 3.6L v6 engine from Jeep. It doesn’t sound normal to me especially to a new engine with only 400 miles on it. I never off road it yet, or even try to engage the 4 wheel drive on. It has 27 miles on the clock when I purchased it “new”. It was basically built for someone, by I guess he didn’t end up purchasing it. I’m hoping that sound was not the reason why.

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It’s driving me nuts, honestly! It’s my first 3.6L v6 engine from Jeep. It doesn’t sound normal to me especially to a new engine with only 400 miles on it. I never off road it yet, or even try to engage the 4 wheel drive on. It has 27 miles on the clock when I purchased it “new”. It was basically built for someone, by I guess he didn’t end up purchasing it. I’m hoping that sound was not the reason why.
2021 JLUR w/same engine. Doesn’t make that noise. Does it quiet down once it’s warmed up? Mine makes all sorts of high pitched noises even after it’s shut off.

OP
OP

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2021 3.6 with eTorque and I haven’t noticed that sound on mine. I can hear the sound in your video. Reminds me of when I had a plastic bag stuck in the fan on my previous Jeep.
I did look inside my engine bay and crawled down underneath while the engine was on several times, and I could not find anything that could show me where the soft knocking sound coming from. I noticed that when I’m inside the Jeep with my driver side door open (on park and neutral gear) I could hear it, but when I put my gear on drive or reverse, I could barely hear it. When I get my wife to come engage the gears for me, I’ll do a check around if that sound comes out on gear. Thank you for the reply!

OP
OP

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR w/same engine. Doesn’t make that noise. Does it quiet down once it’s warmed up? Mine makes all sorts of high pitched noises even after it’s shut off.
No it doesn’t. In fact, I hear it more and a little louder when it’s warmed up. Once I hear it, it doesn’t go away until I turn off the engine. I have those high pitched noises as well which don’t really bother me, but that soft knocking does not sound right to me.

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Use your Jeep Wave benefit to contact Jeep directly. Let them know of your concern and see what they advise. I’ve had better attention from dealers once they know someone from the Wave program is involved. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

blackpanther

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Use your Jeep Wave benefit to contact Jeep directly. Let them know of your concern and see what they advise. I’ve had better attention from dealers once they know someone from the Wave program is involved. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely contact them today and let them know about it. Thanks again!

Lucaizzo

First Name
Luca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler JL Rubicon 3.6
I have the same sound exactly. Any updates on what it is ? I went multiple time to the dealership but it seems in specs 🤦🏻‍♂️
Sponsored