First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Looking at buying Rubicon but cant decide between V6 eTorque or Ecodiesel. Viewing this forum it seems Ecodiesel has had its fair share of problems in the past. Wondering if issues have been resolved or is it still to early to tell? Also it seems ecodiesel may be limited with adding mods vs having V6?
I wouldn't worry about the negative posts - every car brand, even the most reliable, will have the same types of sky-is-falling posts. People like me, who have had no issues, don't post with "hey, my EcoDiesel is fault-free". Test drive each and get what you want. What a shame it would be if you missed out on your preferred choice due to someone else's axe to grind.

BTW, I bought the first Pentastar (model year 2012) installed in a Wrangler. At the time the nay-saying was brutal: unproven, made in Italy, problems when installed in other models, etc... Now it's the darling of the line-up. And...it was trouble-free for me as well.
Sponsored

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
Seems like no one here talks about overheating issues with diesel, but that seems to be a pretty big topic over in Gladiator forum.
Maybe it is overblown issue, but the diesel does seem to run pretty hot for a diesel engine and derate power when the heat becomes too much, especially on a heavy off-road trails at high altitude.
I'd definitely recommend diesel if the heat is not an issue.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
As a diesel owner for over a decade, I don't see why you would want the added maintenance that comes with a diesel engine in a Jeep that tows the same regardless.

OP
OP

Macreel6

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
More information needed.
What are the Pro's and Con's of each engine for you?
What kind of driving will you be doing?
What Plans do you have for your jeep?
I am a travel nurse and I will use this for cross country driving when I work out west . At first will probably stick to easier off-roading and nothing too technical until I get some experience. New to off-roading but I’m not going somewhere like Durango, CO again and watching people take their rigs on some mountain pass while I watch LOL. Plans for Jeep - thinking Rubicon with xtreme package and when it’s time for new suspension/shocks I’ll probably Lift another inch, keeping 35 in tires . Pros and cons of engine for me ? I have no idea, know nothing about eco diesel and the V6 is tried and true so leaning towards reliability.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
thinking Rubicon with xtreme package
Until further notice, If you the XR you will be getting a 3.6 or a 392. No updates on when it will come to other trims or engines. The diesel would likely serve you well on cross country tips though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Macreel6

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Until further notice, If you the XR you will be getting a 3.6 or a 392. No updates on when it will come to other trims or engines. The diesel would likely serve you well on cross country tips though.
Okay thanks for info. So with xtreme package and new gearing , would that make it more off-road worthy than having eco-diesel?

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Okay thanks for info. So with xtreme package and new gearing , would that make it more off-road worthy than having eco-diesel?
Based on all the specs, and comparing what you can get stock, absolutely.

To continue to confuse you, you could upgrade to 35s and the Mopar lift for under $4K. You won't get the regear, but I've read on other threads here that some people who have lifted and upgraded wheels and tires on the ecodiesel feel there is enough torque and no need for a regear. This is all based on reading though, not my personal experiences.

But if you want the most offroad ready straight from the factory, the XR is the current answer to my knowledge. It will also have the worst fuel efficiency outside of the 392 and 392 XR.

Going back to earlier suggestions, I would really try to drive both engines in a rubi to get an idea of your own preferences. Then look at your budget and just got with your gut. It's amazing to have so many powertrain and package options, but on the other hand it creates a bit of a paradox of choice. At the end of the day, it's likely one of the engines will just feel right.

Last edited:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I have a Rubicon diesel on 35s with no lift. I have no need or desire to regear the 3.73s it came with. Plenty of power, even at 12,000 feet on the trails. And it crawls over the rocks like a tractor. When I'm on the highway I average mid 20s or better for fuel mileage. Depends on how fast I go.
Sponsored