V6 eTorque or Ecodiesel.

Macreel6

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Looking at buying Rubicon but cant decide between V6 eTorque or Ecodiesel. Viewing this forum it seems Ecodiesel has had its fair share of problems in the past. Wondering if issues have been resolved or is it still to early to tell? Also it seems ecodiesel may be limited with adding mods vs having V6?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the V6 has proved itself many times over. EcoDiesel appears to hit the reset button every couple years.

Not sure there are any limitations to modding a Wrangler with the EcoDiesel.

Good luck.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
The diesel can be modded more than the V6, you can easily setup the diesel with 40" tires (some run 37"s without a regear and love it) or rooftop tent (thats how mine is setup) and you will not see much of a struggle when it comes to torque, acceleration, keeping 8th gear etc.. Basically the diesel doesn't care much about weight.. You can keep adding and it will behave the same!

I never had a V6 so i dont know exactly how much more reliable it is when comparing it to the diesel

I never had problems with my diesel rubicon and i have used it pretty hard offroad, on long trips and daily.. 17k miles so far and 0 issues

You should test drive both if you can before deciding. And dont let the forum scare you.. To many scared "men" on here.. Do your research and test drive both before deciding, thats my advice

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
My problem with modern diesels is they have been neutered to oblivion, have a bunch of expensive failure prone sensors, require DEF which sounds as ridiculous as blinker fluid and muffler bearings, the engine will go into limp mode if you don't add DEF. It's almost like they don't want consumer diesels on the road...

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
One of my considerations with the diesel is that in an interview someone at Jeep said they may be moving away from diesel entirely in the future.
The other concern would be that we really don't know how these motors hold up as they get over 100k. Granted, we don't know that for etorque either.

But I still think drive them both and decide. Despite all the extra effort the diesel requires, most owners seem very happy with it. And in my opinion the extra range is a big selling point.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One of my considerations with the diesel is that in an interview someone at Jeep said they may be moving away from diesel entirely in the future.
The other concern would be that we really don't know how these motors hold up as they get over 100k. Granted, we don't know that for etorque either.

But I still think drive them both and decide. Despite all the extra effort the diesel requires, most owners seem very happy with it. And in my opinion the extra range is a big selling point.
Yeah, I don’t see FCA going through the headache of certifying EcoDiesel for the new Grand Cherokee. All their efforts appear directed towards hybridization.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR

Even the range was reduced because they had to reduce the fuel tank capacity to make room for the DEF tank.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yeah, I don’t see FCA going through the headache of certifying EcoDiesel for the new Grand Cherokee. All their efforts appear directed towards hybridization.
I agree that seems to be the big focus right now. It feels obvious with the tax credits though. Why not make vehicles that will allow buyers to pass on part of the cost. It's easy built in margins to an extent.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over time.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Even the range was reduced because they had to reduce the fuel tank capacity to make room for the DEF tank.
Well, the size of the tank was reduced but the total range from full to empty should be slightly more in the ecodiesel than other engines. That's under stock set up in normal driving conditions. https://www.autoweek.com/news/truck...-ecodiesel-squeezes-out-up-to-29-mpg-highway/

But if you factor in larger tires, towing, anything that's going to get engines into those higher rpms, the ecodiesel should really pull ahead on range.

I've read posts about people getting down to 12 mpg while towing with the gas engines, and others staying near 20 mpg with the ecodiesel under tow loads. Now I'm just guessing here, no real world test, but that offers a big advantage range if you're looking at moving weight. Trailers, overlanding, tires, etc.
21.5 gal tank @ 12 mpg = 258
21.5 gal tank @ 15 mpg = 322
18.3 gal tank @ 20 mpg = 366
18.3 gal tank @ 24 mpg = 439
With all the cost factors of the ecodiesel, I still don't think the money savings is the motivator. But between the some preferring the driving experience and the added range on the diesel, some might be happy to pay for it. I personally find that range appealing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The DEF tank is behind the axle, next to the muffler. There's no way it would affect how big the fuel tank is. They don't occupy the same space in any way.

They made the fuel tank smaller because they needed room for the lift pump and filter assembly that sits right in front of the tank behind the transfer case.

Ricky_C

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Looking at buying Rubicon but cant decide between V6 eTorque or Ecodiesel. Viewing this forum it seems Ecodiesel has had its fair share of problems in the past. Wondering if issues have been resolved or is it still to early to tell? Also it seems ecodiesel may be limited with adding mods vs having V6?
More information needed.
What are the Pro's and Con's of each engine for you?
What kind of driving will you be doing?
What Plans do you have for your jeep?

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
There are so many keyboard cowboys on all these forums I would take most comments with a grain of salt. Like others have said, go test drive both. I am still going back and forth between a 2022 3.0 or 3.6 e torque myself but leaning more towards the 3.0. The main reason is we currently have a 2020 JLU Rubi 3.6 w/ 37's and 5.13 gears. Towing a Turtleback trailer is pathetic on anything except a flat highway and hope you never have a headwind. Even when not towing, the tranny rarely sees 8th gear. If I do order the 3.0 I will definitely be getting some sort of extended power train warranty though.