Sponsored

285 75 R17 tire help!

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
What's this improved pitman arm? Haven't heard of anything new & improved there. Glad your JL is steering well. I have the cast iron box and longer Mopar lift LCAs and it steers superb!
Not too sure, but I was told a new Pittman arm, so maybe it's just that. Mopar LCA's are probably going on in the next few months, as well. I picked up a brand-new set for 30 bucks from someone who got the Mopar 2" lift kit but didnt use the LCA's (they wanted adjustable), so I scooped them up cheap!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice score! You'll really like the drive after that install.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Nice score! You'll really like the drive after that install.
Thats what I hear, so looking forward to it! Another upgrade I'm considering is the steering stabilizer. The dealer advised they are using Fox 2.0(backordered) or Ranchero.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I was having major wandering and dead space in the wheel. The aluminum box was going, so they upgraded it to the steel one along with an improved Pittman arm and alignment. Now it drives like a dream, night and day! I think Jeep has a TSB on the aluminum box, but not a recall. I think the Moab edition wrangler comes with Rubicon red shocks but not springs just like the Willys. I also read somewhere the Moab OEM wheels are 17x8.5 unlike the Willys 17x7.5. You could probably fit larger tires the way your Moab sit now, good wheel well clearance after your lift. 285/75/17 is a nice size, possibly load C. What black antenna are you using?
When it comes to steering, it seems hit or miss with the JL’s. The only thing I’ve had mine in for is the steering stabilizer recall-if things change I can always upgrade to the steel box. (I had my local dealer make a notation when I had the stabilizer done under warranty for that very reason). So far no issues.
Contrary to what you may have read, The MOAB has the full Rubicon suspension, both shocks and springs. (It is very different from the Willys). I also have the OEM/Factory towing package which gave me higher rated springs. *The spring ID numbers are affixed to each spring.

As you can see from the photos I posted, I switched out the OEM/Factory MOAB wheels and tires (BFGoodrich Mud Terrain) for OEM Mopar Beadlocks and larger BFGoodrich KO2’s. The Mopar Beadlocks are wider than the stock MOAB rims. I did this combination on purpose to keep the weight down, provide added clearance, have a wider rim and yet preserve good steering & MPG. Adding much bigger tires, (especially without regearing) would have added unnecessary weight and strain for my overall use. *I have a 2006 TJ that I use for heavy 4 wheeling.

As far as the antenna , I still use FM now and then, so I wanted an antenna that was shorter, black, and yet still got decent reception. I was able to find one that checked all the boxes.
It is 21” and looks identical to OEM but shorter, and is in black. The vendor is AntennaMastsRus and you can find it on Amazon for under $30.00.
I’m VERY happy with the shorter look and great reception. The black color also compliments the rest of the MOAB’s all black accents.

Next to go on are a set of the XR flares. I finally found a set that specifically fits the non hi line Rubicon fenders. I really like the look and function. I originally acquired a set of the OEM XR flares, but they do not line up with the MOAB fenders. I’m hoping the new set arrives today. Can’t wait to get them put on.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
When it comes to steering, it seems hit or miss with the JL’s. The only thing I’ve had mine in for is the steering stabilizer recall-if things change I can always upgrade to the steel box. (I had my local dealer make a notation when I had the stabilizer done under warranty for that very reason). So far no issues.
Contrary to what you may have read, The MOAB has the full Rubicon suspension, both shocks and springs. (It is very different from the Willys). I also have the OEM/Factory towing package which gave me higher rated springs. *The spring ID numbers are affixed to each spring.

As you can see from the photos I posted, I switched out the OEM/Factory MOAB wheels and tires (BFGoodrich Mud Terrain) for OEM Mopar Beadlocks and larger BFGoodrich KO2’s. The Mopar Beadlocks are wider than the stock MOAB rims. I did this combination on purpose to keep the weight down, provide added clearance, have a wider rim and yet preserve good steering & MPG. Adding much bigger tires, (especially without regearing) would have added unnecessary weight and strain for my overall use. *I have a 2006 TJ that I use for heavy 4 wheeling.

As far as the antenna , I still use FM now and then, so I wanted an antenna that was shorter, black, and yet still got decent reception. I was able to find one that checked all the boxes.
It is 21” and looks identical to OEM but shorter, and is in black. The vendor is AntennaMastsRus and you can find it on Amazon for under $30.00.
I’m VERY happy with the shorter look and great reception. The black color also compliments the rest of the MOAB’s all black accents.

Next to go on are a set of the XR flares. I finally found a set that specifically fits the non hi line Rubicon fenders. I really like the look and function. I originally acquired a set of the OEM XR flares, but they do not line up with the MOAB fenders. I’m hoping the new set arrives today. Can’t wait to get them put on.
I stand corrected, there really isn't "Rubicon" specific springs since they are based on options, such as tow pack, steel bumps, hard/soft top, JL/JLU and engine size. A rubicon could theoretically have the same springs as a Sahara or sport if the options were the same. I'm going to probably get that antenna. I just sprayed canned the OEM one black for now.
Sponsored