Sponsored

285/75r17 Rear Tire Carrier Help

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I thought about getting it with reinforcement, being my 3rd and don’t want a 4’th, but $1200 😳, I don’t need reinforcement now and it can be added later.
Yeah I lucked out because I'm only running a 25lb wheel with a 59lb tire.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Yeah I lucked out because I'm only running a 25lb wheel with a 59lb tire.
Back ordered wheels to replace the stock 31 lb wheels are 21 lbs, tires 59 lbs. A couple pounds lighter than the stock combo, but the adjustable carrier is heavier than stock but OK unless 37’s next time, and probably OK with the light 37 BFG’s- ~64 lbs as I recall…. But not a KO2 fan boy, replacement Toyo’s are much better wet and not nearly the rock magnets.

Last edited:

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Back ordered wheels to replace the stock 31 lb wheels are 21 lbs, tires 59 lbs. A couple pounds lighter than the stock combo, but the adjustable carrier is heavier than stock but OK unless 37’s next time, and probably OK with the light 37 BFG’s- ~64 lbs as I recall…. But not a KO2 fan boy, replacement Toyo’s are much better wet and not nearly the rock magnets.
yeah the TF instructions say if your wheel/tire combo is more than 100lbs, you need their reinforcement. Sounds like you're good. I think they factor in the HD carrier at that number too.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah the TF instructions say if your wheel/tire combo is more than 100lbs, you need their reinforcement. Sounds like you're good. I think they factor in the HD carrier at that number too.
Not sure but doesn’t sound like it “ tire/wheel combo” ? The TF doesn’t add 14 lbs, just the difference from stock, although the stock plastic one is light… don’t sweat the small stuff.

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Not sure but doesn’t sound like it “ tire/wheel combo” ? The TF doesn’t add 14 lbs, just the difference from stock, although the stock plastic one is light… don’t sweat the small stuff.
If you're on the TF site, it says something like "if your tire/wheel combo exceeds 100 lbs, you need the reinforcement." I was just saying that even if you account for the added weight of the carrier itself, its still under 100 lbs with our wheel/tire combo (being about 85 pounds).

Sponsored

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Hey guys. The tire shop finally mounted my spare after getting a replacement from fifteen52. I was shocked to see that it actually fits, with slight rub on the bumper. It clears the tail light too. Only thing is the rubber bumps don't go out as far. The rubbing is minimal and I can still easily open the tailgate with hardly any friction. I have the Alpha HD carrier in hand and was going to install tomorrow, but I'm now wondering if I REALLY need it or not. What do you guys think? Would you bother installing it, or returning it?

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/75r17 Rear Tire Carrier Help IMG_0813

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/75r17 Rear Tire Carrier Help IMG_0811

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/75r17 Rear Tire Carrier Help IMG_0812

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Hey guys. The tire shop finally mounted my spare after getting a replacement from fifteen52. I was shocked to see that it actually fits, with slight rub on the bumper. It clears the tail light too. Only thing is the rubber bumps don't go out as far. The rubbing is minimal and I can still easily open the tailgate with hardly any friction. I have the Alpha HD carrier in hand and was going to install tomorrow, but I'm now wondering if I REALLY need it or not. What do you guys think? Would you bother installing it, or returning it?

Some longer snubbers and dropping the pressure to 28 psi or so is your cheapest option If cost is a concern. The Alpha adds some extra benefits, but isn’t necessarily needed. I have the Alpha, but I also bought a while back when it was cheaper and I was richer.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg
If it came with the rubber bumper extensions, return it… accidentally forgetting to put them in the return box :devil:. Awww- just buy a spacer kit.:angel:
If you return it let me know so I can watch for an open box deal :devil: :LOL:

Or put it on getting the tire off the bumper and tucked back to the tire bumpers, or use the smallest spacer necessary . :rock:

Last edited:

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Some longer snubbers and dropping the pressure to 28 psi or so is your cheapest option If cost is a concern. The Alpha adds some extra benefits, but isn’t necessarily needed. I have the Alpha, but I also bought a while back when it was cheaper and I was richer.
Haha yeah that’s what im thinking. Are extending those snubbers necessary if it’s slightly pressing against the bumper? I hear no vibrations or anything.

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
If it came with the rubber bumper extensions, return it… accidentally forgetting to put them in the return box :devil:. Awww- just buy a spacer kit.:angel:
If you return it let me know so I can watch for an open box deal :devil: :LOL:

Or put it on getting the tire off the bumper and tucked back to the tire bumpers, or use the smallest spacer necessary . :rock:
Haha it didn’t come with them as I think the alpha is meant to tuck back in so it can use stock bumpers. But yeah I think I’m gonna return for now. If I was running 35s it would be another story.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Haha yeah that’s what im thinking. Are extending those snubbers necessary if it’s slightly pressing against the bumper? I hear no vibrations or anything.
It’ll work until it doesn’t 😀. The effects won’t be immediate, and MAY or may not be noticeable over time. Longer snubbers would be cheap insurance, but not sure it would keep me up at night worrying about it either way 👍.

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler rubicon w/AEV 2.5 dualsport lift
touching the bumper and the third brake light bracket is doing the same as the bumpers but it is so easy to buy a piece of heater hose and cut to length and insert it inside the stock bumpers or if you are a golfer a golf ball might give you enough length or a piece of pvc pipe.

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
touching the bumper and the third brake light bracket is doing the same as the bumpers but it is so easy to buy a piece of heater hose and cut to length and insert it inside the stock bumpers or if you are a golfer a golf ball might give you enough length or a piece of pvc pipe.
Thx. Maybe I’ll go pick some up today and throw them on.
Sponsored