Sponsored

285 75 R17 tire help!

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited
My wife and I are buying some new tire for our 2020 UJL non-rubicon. We can’t decide between the 285 70 r17 BFG KO2 or the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have the KO2 on my F-250. The Nitto looks more beefy, even though the size is the same. We are also thinking about putting 2” wheel spacers on with the stock wheels to make them stick out a little. Does that seem like too much spacer? I’d love to hear some advice! Also, I would love to see some pictures of this setup if anyone has it. Also, if I take the splash guard off the front bumper does anyone know if they make a cover to go over the wiring and back of the fog lights? I‘m new here, thanks for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited
My wife and I are buying some new tire for our 2020 UJL non-rubicon. We can’t decide between the 285 70 r17 BFG KO2 or the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have the KO2 on my F-250. The Nitto looks more beefy, even though the size is the same. We are also thinking about putting 2” wheel spacers on with the stock wheels to make them stick out a little. Does that seem like too much spacer? I’d love to hear some advice! Also, I would love to see some pictures of this setup if anyone has it. Also, if I take the splash guard off the front bumper does anyone know if they make a cover to go over the wiring and back of the fog lights? I‘m new here, thanks for any help!
Also, my thread should have been titled 285 70 r17

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think the Nitto runs taller than the Ko2s, the BFGs are around 32.5 and the Nittos closer to 33, the Nittos are also one of the heaviest tires so you may notice the weight difference in mpg.

Putting that much spacer at the wheel will change your scrub radius quite a bit, might consider a narrower one, IIRC a 1.25" is available. The more you increase the scrub radius the less responsive your steering will be, you're getting farther away from the ideal point that your steering has been engineered for.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There have been threads on this in the past- search for something like "rubicon tires on sport"

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not a fan of spacers, but I know a lot of people are. If you do add them, I'd try to keep it a little closer to what Brad recommended.

I can't help with pictures since I have the size listed in your title, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who can post some photos for you.
Regarding tires. I love the look of the Grapplers. They're a tough looking tire, although the KO2 doesn't look bad by any means.

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the BFGoodrich 285 70 r17 on my 2019 MOAB. I swapped out my MOAB rims for MOPAR beadlocks and do not use spacers...I think the stance is just right.
Jeep Wrangler JL 285 75 R17 tire help! 20210106_184001
Jeep Wrangler JL 285 75 R17 tire help! 20210108_182141
Jeep Wrangler JL 285 75 R17 tire help! 20210111_170051
Jeep Wrangler JL 285 75 R17 tire help! 20201207_150142

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
That looks real nice. Did you lift it at all?
Yes~AEV 2" Lift. Came out exactly how I wanted. Drives like it did from the factory. Very pleased with the end result.

Sponsored

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Yes~AEV 2" Lift. Came out exactly how I wanted. Drives like it did from the factory. Very pleased with the end result.
A ruby spring swap and plan to upgrade the LCA’s to Mopar set soon. Probably also install small .75” coil spacers after 285/75/17 tires are on. This his how my JLUW sits currently. You still got an aluminum steering box or did you get it upgraded to the steel one?

Jeep Wrangler JL 285 75 R17 tire help! 09CA2F2A-093C-4A0B-A54F-B70B97F87167

Last edited:

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good! My AEV lift came with correction brackets, so I didn't feel a need to upgrade to the Mopar LCAs. (AEV sells a very reasonable, cost effective 2" lift). I went with this particular spacer type lift because MOAB's came from the factory with Rubicon suspensions.
Steering seems good, so I did not change out the (aluminum) steering box. *I did make a steering report/notation to my local dealership, when I was still under warranty and I got the steering dampener changed under a recall, so that if I do have problems down the road and think a replacement steel steering box might be covered. I figured for now, to leave well enough alone in regards to the steering box. I hate to take my vehicles in to dealerships...

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Looks good! My AEV lift came with correction brackets, so I didn't feel a need to upgrade to the Mopar LCAs. (AEV sells a very reasonable, cost effective 2" lift). I went with this particular spacer type lift because MOAB's came from the factory with Rubicon suspensions.
Steering seems good, so I did not change out the (aluminum) steering box. *I did make a steering report/notation to my local dealership, when I was still under warranty and I got the steering dampener changed under a recall, so that if I do have problems down the road and think a replacement steel steering box might be covered. I figured for now, to leave well enough alone in regards to the steering box. I hate to take my vehicles in to dealerships...
I was having major wandering and dead space in the wheel. The aluminum box was going, so they upgraded it to the steel one along with an improved Pittman arm and alignment. Now it drives like a dream, night and day! I think Jeep has a TSB on the aluminum box, but not a recall. I think the Moab edition wrangler comes with Rubicon red shocks but not springs just like the Willys. I also read somewhere the Moab OEM wheels are 17x8.5 unlike the Willys 17x7.5. You could probably fit larger tires the way your Moab sit now, good wheel well clearance after your lift. 285/75/17 is a nice size, possibly load C. What black antenna are you using?

Last edited:

TXPearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUS 4xe
Check out the Nitto Recon Grapplers. I just added a set to my '23 Sahara. They have a wider "look" due to the tread design, but still have good manners on pavement. They're actually a tad lighter than the stock KO2s.

As others have said, I'd tone down the spacers. 2" is a big jump. Maybe add the new tires first and see how it looks. Good luck.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was having major wandering and dead space in the wheel. The aluminum box was going, so they upgraded it to the steel one along with an improved Pittman arm and alignment. Now it drives like a dream, night and day! I think Jeep has a TSB on the aluminum box, but not a recall. I think the Moab edition wrangler comes with Rubicon red shocks but not springs just like the Willys. I also read somewhere the Moab OEM wheels are 17x8.5 unlike the Willys 17x7.5. You could probably fit larger tires the way your Moab sit now, good wheel well clearance after your lift. 285/75/17 is a nice size, possibly load C. What black antenna are you using?
What's this improved pitman arm? Haven't heard of anything new & improved there. Glad your JL is steering well. I have the cast iron box and longer Mopar lift LCAs and it steers superb!
Sponsored