2023 Willys power steering/ stop start

mlz

First Name
micki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy wrangler
So my brand new Willys with less than 1000 miles on it crapped out on me on the freeway. I could barely move the steering wheel. The alert said it was a stop start issue but the service department does not think so apparently a lot of alerts went off.
He’s never seen such a thing. He doesn’t think it’s the power steering. He thinks it’s maybe a software issue. Thoughts?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The power steering is electronic, so a “software issue” isn’t exclusive from a power steering system failure.

The stop start system error comes up with any fault in many of the several other systems involved in it. Don’t worry about that part.

The power steering system is fairly simple, you just need to hope that your dealer has a tech capable of performing some form of diagnosis.

OP
OP
mlz

mlz

First Name
micki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy wrangler
Well, it’s nearly a week later they still have the car. They HAVE been able to replicate the loss of steering on surface streets but they don’t know how they did it. In other words they can’t test anything they fix afterwards deliberately because they don’t know how they replicated it, it would only be happenstance if they happen to replicate it.
so they have kicked it up to the engineering department and they’re telling them it’s loose wiring. I thought you’ve gotta be kidding me.

and I noticed on another forum there was a 2018 Rubicon who also had the same problem. It went on for 10 months they said, and the only thing that would fix it would be if they turn the car off and then turn it back on, but that’s pretty dangerous and they said that they were not being taken care of well by their dealer and they also felt their life was threatened.

So I’m feeling like unless I can find out 100% what caused it, I don’t want to take the car back and I am going to contact a lemon law attorney (even though I know normally for lemon laws you have to have three substantial incidences and taken it to the dealers) but this is too dangerous to warrant three trips to the dealer, if I survived another incident like this. I can’t have this happen again, I was just lucky I was able to pull off the freeway.

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thank you!
(3.6/automatic Willys, 2023.)
Sponsored