2019 vs 2021 any subtle differences?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If it resulted in 0.25 lbs in weight savings —and $0.25 in cost savings— Fiat would make the steering boxes out of polenta ...
GM saved 10 cents on the production line by not installing zerks on the differentials of my K1500. I shouldn't have had to spend the money to invest in Dana Spicers with grease fittings, but I did. Such is the way of things.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I liked the EES for a time. But certain situations it would activate when I did not want it to so I got tired of it. Like getting ready to turn left and push the brake down a bit too far. Car turns off and if I have to go quick I miss my window. That may me improved like you mentioned but I have nothing to compare it to. But it was never how smooth it was or lack thereof that bothered me.

I am not sure if there is any additional gas savings with the etorque over the non etorque. I am guessing probably not. But the etorque option also adds 80lbs.
This right here is where e torque shines. No lag or hesitation when gunning it through. Its just ON.

CalPilot

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (waiting)
You’re stuck with Etorque if you get the auto with 3.6
“Stuck” is the right way to say it. I’m in the market for a JL 3.6 auto and they force their lame hybrid or diesel on everyone. I’ve changed my search to a 19 or 20 model.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
“Stuck” is the right way to say it. I’m in the market for a JL 3.6 auto and they force their lame hybrid or diesel on everyone. I’ve changed my search to a 19 or 20 model.

Sponsored

ricku

Threads
Reaction score

I would actually pay more for the good 'ole regular 3.6 auto. Just more stuff to go wrong with the new system.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Number three, it uses a separate, much better chemistry battery mounted in the back of the jeep for better weight distribution and gets rid of the crappy, badly located, constantly dying aux battery.
Are you sure about this? Do you have a link stating this change? I would love to not have to worry about that stupid auxiliary battery underneath the main battery. Thinking about ordering a 2021 Wrangler, with the 3.6/automatic, but I hate the idea of a small, troublesome auxiliary battery, located in a hard-to-get-to spot underneath the main battery.

Hwpx12

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So I already have a 2019 Sport-S JLU, and I now have a 2021 Sport-S JLU on the way. Will I notice any differences between the 2, or are they basically carbon copies. I know with most other vehicle models they usually change something from year to year, at least the tail lights or something. So am I instore for some new goodies here or not? Also the price is 41K is that a decent deal its really a basic model since I prefer to outfit my Jeep the way I want it:

Sport-S
Automatic
Cold Weather Package
Cloth Seats
Soft Top
4 Doors

Hwpx12

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I had a 2019 and just got a 2021. Both were sahara. Both had up graded radios. The 2019 had the 2.0 this one has the 6cyl. I am absolutely positive the radio in the 2021 is definitely louder and basically better all around. I haven't seen anything written about a change but it is much better. I'm positive...

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
I had a 2019 and just got a 2021. Both were sahara. Both had up graded radios. The 2019 had the 2.0 this one has the 6cyl. I am absolutely positive the radio in the 2021 is definitely louder and basically better all around. I haven't seen anything written about a change but it is much better. I'm positive...
Same here! 2018 Sahara to 2021 Sahara Diesel. What helps is that the damn center speaker bar doesn't rattle like my old one did. No matter what I did, the damn thing rattled. New one doesn't rattle, but the sound system (Alpine on both) does sound markedly better. Even XM, which I never usually listen to because it sounds compressed and horrible is now actually decent to listen to.

One change I noticed is the center armrest in the back now has a cup holder. I am 99% sure that my 2018 did not. It's plasticky and cheap looking but hey - now my passengers can have cups.

The fixed steering makes a world of difference. I hadn't gotten the fix done on my 2018 and it was awful. So much play, and constant corrections on the highway!

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
What size radio?

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Same here! 2018 Sahara to 2021 Sahara Diesel. What helps is that the damn center speaker bar doesn't rattle like my old one did. No matter what I did, the damn thing rattled. New one doesn't rattle, but the sound system (Alpine on both) does sound markedly better. Even XM, which I never usually listen to because it sounds compressed and horrible is now actually decent to listen to.

One change I noticed is the center armrest in the back now has a cup holder. I am 99% sure that my 2018 did not. It's plasticky and cheap looking but hey - now my passengers can have cups.

The fixed steering makes a world of difference. I hadn't gotten the fix done on my 2018 and it was awful. So much play, and constant corrections on the highway!
My 2019 has cup holders in the back on the center console.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Are you sure about this? Do you have a link stating this change? I would love to not have to worry about that stupid auxiliary battery underneath the main battery. Thinking about ordering a 2021 Wrangler, with the 3.6/automatic, but I hate the idea of a small, troublesome auxiliary battery, located in a hard-to-get-to spot underneath the main battery.
Absolutely. Instead of the small auxiliary 12 volt lead-acid battery of regular Jeep engines with ESS, the eTorque versions use a motor/generator that runs on 48 volts and uses a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt-Graphite battery mounted under the Jeep below where the back seats are.
That battery pack also includes a 3 kilowatt DC-to-DC converter which converts the 48 volts generated by the BSG to 12 volts (14 volts) so it can charge the conventional 12 volt lead acid battery and power all of the Jeep’s accessories during a start-stop event.
I don’t have a link but a quick google search of “ fca etorque” or “jeep etorque” will bring up links to official press releases discussing the technology and many other sites where they review the system.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
^^^ This is why I have not ordered my JL yet.
I’m waiting to read about the reliability of the aux battery.

Moreover, I’m really annoyed by the additional weight of the aux battery. What additional weight is it? Is it on the 3.6 only or also on the 2.0? Anyone know?
Sponsored