Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
I would be sad but not surprised if they got rid of the manual. They are just following what every other company is doing.

Did you catch the line from Jalopnik that said a Jeep rep told them "eight speed diesel is being offered as a trade off for no manual."

Sounds like it's already been chopped.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
I would be sad but not surprised if they got rid of the manual. They are just following what every other company is doing.

Did you catch the line from Jalopnik that said a Jeep rep told them "eight speed diesel is being offered as a trade off for no manual."

Sounds like it's already been chopped.
Sounds like it's a done deal :( I think it's a big mistake personally but I don't know what the take rates for manuals on the JK were. They must not have been very high if they're just gonna axe it like that.

OP
OP
JoKer

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Sounds like it's a done deal :( I think it's a big mistake personally but I don't know what the take rates for manuals on the JK were. They must not have been very high if they're just gonna axe it like that.
10-20% is what FCA told them. Even at 15% take rate with more than 200K Wranglers sold/year that is more than 30,000 manuals. That's a LOT if you ask me.

Would not the better solution be to offer the manual but raise the cost? It's not like they have to develop a whole new transmission for it. Those who want it pay for it. They still make money and don't risk losing some manual purists and possibly a lot of enthusiasts.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
I will not buy an auto wrangler, it'll be a Toyota instead...very sad day if the Italians kill the manual wrangler.

Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
10-20% is what FCA told them. Even at 15% take rate with more than 200K Wranglers sold/year that is more than 30,000 manuals. That's a LOT if you ask me.

Would not the better solution be to offer the manual but raise the cost? It's not like they have to develop a whole new transmission for it. Those who want it pay for it. They still make money and don't risk losing some manual purists and possibly a lot of enthusiasts.
That's plenty high. Isn't the take rate for 2 door Wranglers like 20-25%? Why don't they just kill that off then. Next thing you know live axle will be gone. SMH.

I swear it feels like there's a conspiracy among car makers to get rid of the manual, even if it sells decently (like in this case).

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I have a manual in my other vehicles for a lot of reasons (fun, engaging, etc) and think it would be a disappointment to lose yet another option BUT let's be honest here. Fact: hardcore trail machines are mostly autos. I converted my TJ from a 5 speed to an auto years ago and it took an already very competent off road machine (front/rear lockers, 4.88 gearing etc) and took its trail abilities to a whole other level once the auto was installed. You also get 2-3 times greater low end torque from an auto's torque converter.

Take a good look most of the pro competition level rigs you'll see have been converted to autos long ago. For tougher trails and slow and steady high load movement like rock climbing an auto is the way to go. It's more durable and wont lose low end torque while with a manual you're slipping the clutch.

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
I don't go wheeling a ton but I have a manual and I (along with thousands of other Jeepers) have been successful on serious trails with the manual gearbox. It's true for competition or extreme rock crawling the consensus you will find is that the auto has a slight advantage in control and power application but for trails rated 1-2 you won't see a difference. Maybe slightly with the 3's but not much.

Now there's no question if the JL Wrangler doesn't get a manual there will be Jeepers rioting by the tens (hundreds?) of thousands but will the JL's wheeling/offroad expertise suffer? Not really.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I'm pretty sure 10-20% is lower than the few sports cars that still have the manual option. Ones where the manual is tied to the car's identity like the Mustang or Camaro type vehicles. But if you look at trucks, manuals are all but extinct.The only pickups that still offer it are the Nissan Frontier and the Tacoma. All 1-ton models are auto only. That includes the F-150, Silverado and Ram. This means the Jeep pickup is not going to have one, even less of a business case for it.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
I agree with this and also think it helps FCA to keep the manual around. The 5 speed auto is a $1350 option right now. The manual is cheaper to produce and lowers the base price of the vehicle. If 80% or more of buyers are willing to spend the extra $1350 that's a win win situation for them.

Sponsored

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
I don't go wheeling a ton but I have a manual and I (along with thousands of other Jeepers) have been successful on serious trails with the manual gearbox. It's true for competition or extreme rock crawling the consensus you will find is that the auto has a slight advantage in control and power application but for trails rated 1-2 you won't see a difference. Maybe slightly with the 3's but not much.

Now there's no question if the JL Wrangler doesn't get a manual there will be Jeepers rioting by the tens (hundreds?) of thousands but will the JL's wheeling/offroad expertise suffer? Not really.
And modern day autos/DCTs will roll a manual car with the same driver but that's not the point. Going full auto without a manual option in a vehicle like the Wrangler is giving up part of its soul and completing the transformation into the ultimate Mom mobile IMO. The Wrangler is supposed to be all about freedom, adventure, independence, self reliance. To me when I picture these things I see someone rowing their own gears out on a trail, not laying back and having the vehicle drive for you. No offense to auto owners but a Wrangler without a manual option? Blasphemy.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ

20 percent is much higher than the take rate in the general market. If true I see this as FCA making the Wrangler more mainstream and trying to appeal to regular SUV buyers which it might also be trying do with the rumored power roof.

This is what happens when there's little or noo competition. It's not like buyers will take their money and go buy a manual FJ Cruiser, LR Defender or Suzuki Samurai. Once the next Bronco comes out and IF it comes with a manual there could be some incentive to do so but I doubt the take rate for Ford's version would justify it either.

On the other hand I agree with Joker that simply charging more for the manual is a good solution.

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
The manual may take a hiatus, but it will be back.

The manual is dead. Long live the manual!

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Yea once they eliminate the manual it's gone for good except maybe special editions I think. Sad. I wonder how many people will not buy the JL for that reason alone.
Sponsored