jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
Hello Guys,

I have been experiencing some weird issues with my 2018 JLUR related to engine startup. So far I had the following issues which might be related due to all of them being related to the engine startup:

1) I live in California, and usually in January it rains. This January I was on vacation for three weeks and the car was sitting outside and rain was pouring on it almost every day as it was rainy season. Just after I got back from vacation I jumped in the car and tried to power it on but immediately I got the "Electronic Throttle Control" warning on the left side of the electronic dashboard just over the temperature bar. There were no messages noting that I should service the car as I have seen in similar topics around here, but pressing the start/stop engine button would do nothing. I decided to sit in the car for another 30 minutes while everything is switched off and eventually it powered on after couple more tries, the ETC warning disappeared and I didn't experience the same issue ever since. That was the last day of rainy season and I attributed the issue to humidity. When I took the car for regular maintenance I asked the mechanic to have a look at ETC and they said there were no alarms and notable issues with the ignition system. This did not repeat ever since.

2) Just recently over the past two months I noticed a new issue. Usually I get in the car, I depress clutch (I have a manual) and push the start button right away. The engine would immediately start. For the past two months it happened probably around at least 5 times that on the first try to start the engine it would try to fire up for a split second and immediately give up even before it was started. By pressing the start button a second time it would start normally. This is random and I can not reproduce it.

3) Just over the past one week one new issue happened to me twice and the most strange thing was that both of those times it happened in the airport parking where I was parked first time for 9 hours and second time for 36 hours.

a) The first time I would try to start up the engine and it would behave as explained in (2) e.g. would try to fire up for a split second and give up just before it started. Then I would try for 4-5 more times and it will eventually start. This first time when the issue happened after the engine started I drove home and I got the engine start/stop warning on the right of the dash above the fuel level as seen in the attached image. After I got home and powered off the car everything was normal and didn't have that issue for another week.
b) I parked again at the same parking for 36 hours, got back from my trip, and tried to start up the engine. Same issue happened except that while driving home I didn't get the ESS warning like the first time.

* Issue described in (3) I only experienced while trying to start up the engine at that particular parking at the airport. It is very speculative as it might be many different things, but first thing that fired in my mind was oxygen concentration as there is a lot of pollution around the airport but I gave up this guess as in the past year and a half ever since I had this car I parked at that parking a few more times (although in a different season and not so warm as now) and never had the issue before.

Any ideas and suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!

Happy crawling!

@JeepCares

upload_2019-8-16_18-24-26.png
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Did you by chance check if you might have any stored messages? My ESS would turn itself off intermittently. It turned out to be a loose wire.

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you by chance check if you might have any stored messages? My ESS would turn itself off intermittently. It turned out to be a loose wire.
I am not sure how I can check for those messages? There is a notification in the uConnect app menu, but no current notifications. Is there something else I should be checking as well?

Also I receive some emails with regular checks from UConnect and there were no issues noted there.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am not sure how I can check for those messages? There is a notification in the uConnect app menu, but no current notifications. Is there something else I should be checking as well?

Also I receive some emails with regular checks from UConnect and there were no issues noted there.
It should be the last screen when you flip thru the ones using your arrows on the steering wheel. It should tell you if you have any stored messages or not:like:

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It should be the last screen when you flip thru the ones using your arrows on the steering wheel. It should tell you if you have any stored messages or not:like:
That’s funny. This menu always said ‘No stored messages’ so I even forgot about it! Still no change - no stored messages.

Any other ideas?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Mine didn't show any messages either:giggle: But I took a screen shot and took it to the dealer. They kept it for a day and drove it. The tech finally got it to trip when he was sitting at a long stop light. It turned out to be a loose wire on the ESS. If you're so inclined, I'd just take it to the dealer and ask. Good luck:like:
Sponsored