2018 JL if it needs towed

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Didn't know where to post this, someone can move it, Just a quick note. If your new 2018 JL dies from a power failure, You will be hard pressed to get it into neutral to get it towed, on page 58 of my Sahara book has a start but was not clear..

I pulled the black plastic cap in front of the auto transmission stick. Then found a orange cord in there, its very odd to maneuver but you must put on Emergency brake then pull this lever until it latches in a more upright position, another tug it goes back in.
You must master this or it cant be towed or dragged up a flatbed!

Frank
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Didn't know where to post this, someone can move it, Just a quick note. If your new 2018 JL dies from a power failure, You will be hard pressed to get it into neutral to get it towed, on page 58 of my Sahara book has a start but was not clear..

I pulled the black plastic cap in front of the auto transmission stick. Then found a orange cord in there, its very odd to maneuver but you must put on Emergency brake then pull this lever until it latches in a more upright position, another tug it goes back in.
You must master this or it cant be towed or dragged up a flatbed!

Frank
There was a video HERE but it appears it has been removed from Youtube. :(

Still some additional information about this can be read up on at that thread.

OP
OP
Rusty Teeth

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
OP
OP
Rusty Teeth

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Make sure emergency brake is on hard, as this method lets jeep roll even in park!!!

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Important:

If you JL/JLU breaks down on the road it must be taken to the shop on a Flat Bed Truck. Again, a Flat Bed Truck!

Yes, you can use the "Park override release" and just leave the transfer case in 2H and have it winched the 25' onto the flat bed.

Best way though, is to just leave the automatic transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral (If you can get the transfer case in neutral) and then winch the JL/JLU onto the flatbed.

Yes, the JL/JLU can be pulled to the shop with a tow strap, if the shop is say just down the street. IF you pull the JLU/JL with a tow strap to the shop, you must place the Automatic Transmission in Park and the Transfer Case in Neutral and tow it like this.

Your other choice is to Flat Tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground using say your RV. Your JL/JLU and your RV would both have to be be set-up for flat towing. Again you can flat tow... but again, you must place the Automatic Transmission in Park and the Transfer Case in Neutral and tow it like this.

Never dolly tow your JL/JLU! It is never a good idea to dolly tow any 4WD vehicle. You never dolly tow with either just the front or just the rear wheel off the ground. This is a great way to tear up your transfer case. I might add that FCA recommends against/ warns against dolly towing.

Last edited:

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Important:

If you JL/JLU breaks down on the road it must be taken to the shop on a Flat Bed Truck. Again, a Flat Bed Truck!

Yes, the JL/JLU can be pulled to the shop with a tow strap, if the shop is say just down the street. IF you pull the JLU/JL with a tow strap to the shop, you must place the Automatic Transmission in Park and the Transfer Case in Neutral and tow it like this.

Your other choice is to Flat Tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground using say your RV. Your JL/JLU and your RV would both have to be be set-up for flat towing. Again you can flat tow... but again, you must place the Automatic Transmission in Park and the Transfer Case in Neutral and tow it like this.

Never dolly tow your JL/JLU! It is never a good idea to dolly tow any 4WD vehicle. You never dolly tow with either just the front or just the rear wheel off the ground. This is a great way to tear up your transfer case. I might add that FCA recommends against/ warns against dolly towing.
thats great info as usual thanks. so going through an auto wash i would have the jeep in park and the t-case in neutral if i'm understanding correctly..

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
thats great info as usual thanks. so going through an auto wash i would have the jeep in park and the t-case in neutral if i'm understanding correctly..
IF it is a car wash that requires you to turn the vehicle off and get out of the vehicle you would would do this:
  1. Leave transmission in Park,
  2. Transfer case in Neutral
  3. Ignition off.
This way it will roll freely/easy as the car wash automated rollers move it through the wash process.

At the end of the line be there to get back into the JLU/JL and set it up to drive again.

IMPORTANT.... If at the end of the car wash, there is a down slope, the JLU may roll away on it's own. Be ready to jump in and put the brake/E brake on.

OP
OP
Rusty Teeth

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
so you're pulling this cord as you're switching into neutral? or are you saying by pulling this cord it is engaging neutral?
Yes, when i simulated it for the photo i was backed into a pile of snow and pulling the latch cord allowed it to drift a bit.
So yes in its latched position as shown it engaged neutral. Yet shifter was still in park..

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Important:

Yes, you can use the "Park override release" and just leave the transfer case in 2H and have it winched the 25' onto the flat bed.

Best way though, is to just leave the automatic transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral (If you can get the transfer case in neutral) and then winch the JL/JLU onto the flatbed.

Just curious why you can not dolly tow with front wheels on dolly, rear wheels on ground and transfer case in neutral? I know it’s not advised but how would that put extra stress on the transfer case if it’s in neutral, same as if you flat tow behind a RV with transfer case in neutral? Not understanding why one method is acceptable and the other is not. Is it because the front and rear drive shafts are not disconnected when the TC is in neutral? When putting the TC in neutral does that only disconnect it from the tranny, but the driveshafts are still connected? Just trying to understand how it works.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Question;

If a Jeep ever needed to be towed out of a commercial garage..... like at an airport or office building..... say from the 6th floor. How is this done if you can’t use a dolly tow?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question;

If a Jeep ever needed to be towed out of a commercial garage..... like at an airport or office building..... say from the 6th floor. How is this done if you can’t use a dolly tow?
@Dkretden

For a short distance, there would be no issue pulling / flat towing the JL to a place, say just outside of the garage where you could then load on to a flat bed.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

For a short distance, there would be no issue pulling / flat towing the JL to a place, say just outside of the garage where you could then load on to a flat bed.
Thank you for this. I guess I am also wondering how a flatbed tow truck would be able to navigate the corners of the garage with a Jeep in tow in order to get it outside and pull it up on the flatbed......

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thank you for this. I guess I am also wondering how a flatbed tow truck would be able to navigate the corners of the garage with a Jeep in tow in order to get it outside and pull it up on the flatbed......
I entered a under building garage in Vero Beach, Florida today.... The height of the garage was so low, I had to close my Sunrider for JL Hardtop. Good friggin thing, I remembered to close the SR...

I got through but with only inches of height to spare. I had my gal walking alongside the Rubi so she could tell me if there was something hanging I could not clear..

Anyway, your question entered my mind.. but yeah, you would flat tow / pull it out of there and load it up on a flat bed.
Sponsored