Wrangler Won't start after towed

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Anyone else have a solution?? I saw a thread earlier and can't find it now. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler S., just started towing the vehicle and it is sporadic to even start, let alone giving a hint of engaging the starter. I have been stepping on the brake harder and it will turn over. Is there a fix for this, dealer did a module fix thru the computer, DIDN'T make a difference.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Try the basics. First, check your fuses and make sure they are seated. Second, a bad battery can easily be the culprit. Don’t think that just because it’s new, it can’t be bad. After that, send it on to the dealer.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I know, it seems obvious. Did you engage the transfer case and make sure you are in park?

OP
OP
View

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Try the basics. First, check your fuses and make sure they are seated. Second, a bad battery can easily be the culprit. Don’t think that just because it’s new, it can’t be bad. After that, send it on to the dealer.
The battery was tested both by Camping World when I bought the tow assembly as well as the dealer. Will run thru the fuses next

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Thats part of the problem, it won't start to get it out of Park or change the Transfer Case
Hmm, still new to the JL myself. The TJ was much simpler. You can pop the cover in front of the shifter and there is a release there to get you out of park if your battery is dead or tou can't start.

I assumed that it would start if the trans is in neutral along with the transfer case but don't know. This is why I suggested engaging the t-case since that is the normal mode. Worth a shot to pull the release and try it.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The battery was tested both by Camping World when I bought the tow assembly as well as the dealer. Will run thru the fuses next
I understand that but many battery tests are wrong. Mine tested “good” as well. It wasn’t. All the problems were fixed with a new battery. And not the OEM one. Not saying it’s your problem but odd occurrences point to grounds or battery issues. Yours sure seems odd. It takes about 5 minutes to swap batteries.

OP
OP
View

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hmm, still new to the JL myself. The TJ was much simpler. You can pop the cover in front of the shifter and there is a release there to get you out of park if your battery is dead or tou can't start.

I assumed that it would start if the trans is in neutral along with the transfer case but don't know. This is why I suggested engaging the t-case since that is the normal mode. Worth a shot to pull the release and try it.
Thats the baffling thing of how or why it won't. Sometimes it works and other times not.

OP
OP
View

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thats the baffling thing of how or why it won't. Sometimes it works and other times not.
Thanks for all the suggestion, will be back at the Dealership this next week

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
How about the aux battery?
There have been a lot of issues with the aux battery & when it has an issue, it can cause a host of other issues, including exactly what you are describing.

So, make sure the aux battery, the small battery under the fuse box, is in good shape. This battery is often overlooked, so just want to make sure you haven't overlooked it.
:like:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Each battery was load tested, after being disconnected from the Jeep? Most will just check the batteries with a multimeter because it doesn't require disconnecting and is easier for them. The JL's are finicky when it comes to their needing a stronger voltage to remain happy. And if one tests out weaker, it's best to replace both. A strong battery doesn't last as long if its been leaned on by a weaker one.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since it's intermittent, why not check the grounds on the passenger side front fender, and main harness connections for bent/ misaligned pins. Low Effort, high reward if that's the problem.
When being towed, are the vehicle lights, turn signals powered by the tow vehicle, or by the JLs battery , and which battery ?

OP
OP
View

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Since it's intermittent, why not check the grounds on the passenger side front fender, and main harness connections for bent/ misaligned pins. Low Effort, high reward if that's the problem.
When being towed, are the vehicle lights, turn signals powered by the tow vehicle, or by the JLs battery , and which battery ?
Thats a good question... The Invisabrake is married to the Jeeps battery. The unit is suppose to go into a sleep mode after 10-15 minutes after being towed. The Lights need to be on the RV while running or the Invisabrake will run the Jeeps battery down.

The question I have; DO YOU need to remove the light cable when you come to a layover between the RV and Jeep?

OP
OP
View

View

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Each battery was load tested, after being disconnected from the Jeep? Most will just check the batteries with a multimeter because it doesn't require disconnecting and is easier for them. The JL's are finicky when it comes to their needing a stronger voltage to remain happy. And if one tests out weaker, it's best to replace both. A strong battery doesn't last as long if its been leaned on by a weaker one.

the Jeep was in 3 times, “everything” checked out. They have deduced that the vacuum line to the invibrake is bleeding the system, hence making the brake hard to deploy and not alerting the Jeep’s braking system. Now you have to push hard on the brake to engage the start. another trip to Camping World
Sponsored