2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
I haven't gotten the armor yet for such exploring. I was thinking aluminum but then AEV ... I don't want to have the stock bumpers bend into the tub. How'd your stock under carriage armor hold up?
I haven't looked under the Jeep to check that out, not sure I want to see it. Have my other vehicle at work today, will check it when I get home later.
Sponsored

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Did carnage canyon and a number of other 4 trails the week before with a small group. After the few times out I have some scrapes on the fenders as well as some dents/damage/scrapes on both bumpers. That 12 gage steel just doesn't hold up well out on these trails. mentioned to my wife I may need to get new bumpers, she about went through the roof.

Tell ya the Ace sliders sure have saved my Jeep a number of times. On the second form last photo the Jeep slide to the passenger side and the slider slammed against the big rock just below my front tire. That area was under cut and slick, seamed like I sent a lot of time in a vertical position. So much that the guys behind me started calling me Rocket Man, since I was in the vertical take of position.
I won't be doing any more 4 trails anytime soon. Going to do a 101 and 201 class/run so I can learn what the hell I am doing! :cwl: No idea what kind of scrapes I got underneath yet! Out of sight out of mind.

Also, need to find me a place for custom decals.

Also Also, good lord it takes forever to get things for the JL. Ordered some seat covers a week ago, ETA is up to 9 weeks.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I still don't have a soft top. Taking forever to get things for the JL is an understatement. :computerrage:

I have almost decided on bumpers but not sliders. I want the rubi rails with tube extension and some kind of grippy plate on top. Too much to ask?

I'm also looking to improve the armor underneath but I dread adding all the weight. :punch:

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I still don't have a soft top. Taking forever to get things for the JL is an understatement. :computerrage:

I have almost decided on bumpers but not sliders. I want the rubi rails with tube extension and some kind of grippy plate on top. Too much to ask?

I'm also looking to improve the armor underneath but I dread adding all the weight. :punch:
I think it takes even longer if you have a 2 door. I understand things can take time, but so far all these companies want your money up front. Not a fan of that.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I won't be doing any more 4 trails anytime soon. Going to do a 101 and 201 class/run so I can learn what the hell I am doing! :cwl: No idea what kind of scrapes I got underneath yet! Out of sight out of mind.

Also, need to find me a place for custom decals.

Also Also, good lord it takes forever to get things for the JL. Ordered some seat covers a week ago, ETA is up to 9 weeks.
Been on a couple 101 runs, received my first back bumper dent on one of those runs. Overall not as crazy but there will be a few spots with tuff ledges to climb and/or drops.

Let me know what you are looking for on the custom decal, I own a printing biz and we do some vinyl work. If you have a graphic I can print and cut it for ya.

Sponsored

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Been on a couple 101 runs, received my first back bumper dent on one of those runs. Overall not as crazy but there will be a few spots with tuff ledges to climb and/or drops.

Let me know what you are looking for on the custom decal, I own a printing biz and we do some vinyl work. If you have a graphic I can print and cut it for ya.
Thanks! WIll PM you when i get a moment.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't gotten the armor yet for such exploring. I was thinking aluminum but then AEV ... I don't want to have the stock bumpers bend into the tub. How'd your stock under carriage armor hold up?
Just crawled under and the under body looks fine. Only things I really saw (other then some minor scratches) was the underside of the catalytic converter was dented and the underside of the end of the trail pipe is dented.

Both bumpers have more damage then a saw under the Jeep, was kind of surprised.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just crawled under and the under body looks fine. Only things I really saw (other then some minor scratches) was the underside of the catalytic converter was dented and the underside of the end of the trail pipe is dented.

Both bumpers have more damage then a saw under the Jeep, was kind of surprised.
Good to know that I need to focus on bumpers first. Thank you.

I'm glad you got out there to enjoy the beast. I'm looking forward to next year's exploring. Things are always busy. I had thought I'd make it to Moab this year, but alas I'm not yet independently wealthy. There was talk of meeting up at Easter Jeep Safari... Anyone still game?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

I'm glad you got out there to enjoy the beast. I'm looking forward to next year's exploring. Things are always busy. I had thought I'd make it to Moab this year, but alas I'm not yet independently wealthy. There was talk of meeting up at Easter Jeep Safari... Anyone still game?
I will be heading to Moab for the 2019 Easter Jeep Safari. The Red Rock 4 wheel group have their trails for the event and the days they will be running each trail already posted here:
https://www.rr4w.com/trail-grid-example.cfm

I normally camp out as there is a lot of free camping in the area on BLM land or in the national forest and park areas. Couple campgrounds in and around Moab as well but suggest that anyone wanting to go to the safari make reservations soon as all hotels and paid camping fill up fast.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

While I would love to go to Easter Jeep Safari, just not sure I can make it. Really need to get up to Colorado next summer, hopefully I can fit that in.

Think bumpers and better tire carrier are first on my list. Would like to go to 35's eventually but do not want to hang on the stock tire carrier.

Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
While I would love to go to Easter Jeep Safari, just not sure I can make it. Really need to get up to Colorado next summer, hopefully I can fit that in.

Think bumpers and better tire carrier are first on my list. Would like to go to 35's eventually but do not want to hang on the stock tire carrier.
If weight is a concern, I put 35's (315/70/17's to be exact) on with new wheels and added the tailgate reinforcement kit. Added PVC and chairleg feet to the rubber bumper as well. All is well. Weight went from 72lbs stock to 94lbs. I thought of a bumper mounted carrier but that seemed to me to be a pain in the ass just for a 35" tire when opening the tailgate. I could see it for 37 or bigger.

IMG_20181004_065418214.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If weight is a concern, I put 35's (315/70/17's to be exact) on with new wheels and added the tailgate reinforcement kit. Added PVC and chairleg feet to the rubber bumper as well. All is well. Weight went from 72lbs stock to 94lbs. I thought of a bumper mounted carrier but that seemed to me to be a pain in the ass just for a 35" tire when opening the tailgate. I could see it for 37 or bigger.

I would rather use the tailgate reinforcement than a bumper mounted tire carrier as well. I just wonder why they are all so expensive.

I'm waiting to hear what options AEV will have with it's rear bumper.

Let me know when you plan to be in town Chad. I'd love the excuse to go play.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would rather use the tailgate reinforcement than a bumper mounted tire carrier as well. I just wonder why they are all so expensive.

I'm waiting to hear what options AEV will have with it's rear bumper.

Let me know when you plan to be in town Chad. I'd love the excuse to go play.
I am also waiting for the AEV back bumper and tire carrier. Will most likely keep the front bumper, even with the damage, for a while. Will definitely reach out to you when/if I can make it up there. Would be nice to have a local guide to show me around.

Here is some of the front bumper damage.

20181121_080159_resized.jpg

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Weight is part of it, would also like the mounting points for a high lift jack and fuel cans. Was considering the ACE stand alone mount as well. I am with Gary on the cost of the tail gate reinforcement. They just seam so overpriced for what they are.

Last edited:

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Weight is part of it, would also like the mounting points for a high lift lack and fuel cans. Was considering the ACE stand alone mount as well. I am with Gary on the cost of the tail gate reinforcement. They just seam so overpriced for what they are.
MORryde makes heavy duty replacement hinges for the JK (linked below) that I installed on my JK, Great attachment point for rotopak fuel cans and high lifts. I emailed them awhile ago asking about same product for the JL and haven't heard back yet. Hoping that they, or others will come out with something similar soon as i need to figure out how I'm going to carry my gas for trips out west.

http://www.morryde.com/products/129...-accessories?filter%5B%5D=all&filter%5B%5D=14
Sponsored